Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

rc cable cam build help!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Pyrotechnic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc cable cam build help!

im planning on building an rc cable cam with power forward and back, and a camera mount with pan, and tilt, for my go pro. my question is what to get. i already have a pretty good idea on how im going to make it and organize everything on it, but im at a loss for the electronics stand point. ill need motor/esc, 2 servos, and a battery to power it all. ill set everthing up to be run off my dx6i controller. now, this is going to be a budget build!!!! ive always had luck with "off brand" products before, and im always open to used equipment. another important thing to note, id like a servo that can spin 360* id like to have the whole pan/tilt unit mounted straight to the servo so it will have a bit of weight hanging from it. hopefully this makes sense, if anything ill post up my doodles on what id like it to look like.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: rc cable cam build help!

Well for a 360 servo as I don't know of a single one you probably could just get an extremely high turn motor hooked to a ESC, and maybe connect it to a cheap transmission and use that. Or try and find a DC can opener motor. I had one many years ago I picked up at a electronics surplus shop for $5 it was geared very low, and would spin pretty nice at 9 volts that I used a few of them to make a robotic arm(which I sadly no longer got ).

as for the tilt servo depending on the weight of the cam you might want to get a very high torque servo.

Now I dunno what you are trying to make base wise but you could PROBABLY pick up a cheap Heng Long tank and just mount it to that as it will have the swivel due to the turret and all just would have to rig a pitch servo up Only issue would be setting it up to run on a Dx6i but an australian company makes a conversion module for $45 or so so it can be hooked up to a normal radio(I dunno how good the part is I still gotta order one for my tank).

http://raidentech.com/fumegetrupve.html (only one they actually have in stock wonder how that place stays in business, or look to see if you can find the $69 tanks in stock somewhere I'd recommend the metal like I linked due to the tranny on the cheapies being kinda crappy though)
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...1df1e2ed6c5f7b

Dunno what your budget is cause budget build could refer to many things.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Pyrotechnic

i did not know there isnt a 360* servo. however the more i think of it the more i realize 180* is all i need. budget wise, lets say for electronics id like to stay under $150, which i know will be hard, but hell if i can get some stuff used id go with that. ive had pretty good luck putting some rc's together on a budget using used parts. also i guess i dont need actual links to parts (however it is helpful), but an idea on what to look for in say a sevo or motor. as for the weight on the pan servo, without having anything together i dont have an exact number. but id guess 500-1000g. total weight id like to keep under 4000g
Old 10-06-2012, 03:03 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just get a Cheap pan tilt camera and replace the camera with your own one, then rig up ur own controller for the pan tilt motors?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Pyrotechnic

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Why not just get a Cheap pan tilt camera and replace the camera with your own one, then rig up ur own controller for the pan tilt motors?

to much weight.

also, after a bit more tinkering and some changes to materials, im pretty condident the pan tilt mount is going to be right in at 400g with the camera. basically what im looking to build is something similar to this

http://aeroquad.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1313171655

only thing id do differently is have the mount directly attatched to the servo (hanging underneath it)

and for motor/esc combo, any recommendations? brushed vs brushless? thoughts on a mini vxl system? would like to run everything off of a small 2s pack unless theres a better option.

i also did find some 360 degree servos floating around for what its worth, and while i dont need it, id prefer one. so i guess what size servo do i need, or what stats should i be looking for.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out this servo and browse through the rest of their website. Anything related to servos can probably be found there.

I still don't quite follow what you're trying to build. I see in that photograph there is a GoPro mounted under a helicopter. But, aren't you building a car of some sort?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Pyrotechnic

im talking about just that camera mount. ignore the heli. this is a cable cam,

[link]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_eetu4Pw333k/TT4BRzDC6KI/AAAAAAAAAr0/n5xR-cPzg34/mirlocam.jpg[/link]

thanks for that link as well. ill scroll through it a bit to see whats on it
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Idig now.

360 degree rotation is a must for this application, however, won't that create some issues with wires becoming wound up if you try to make too many rotations? The rest of the rig could work with standard servos.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

???????? servos?????

standard servos would be ok if u wanted it to return to centre when there is no input, thats not how i would do it tho

I still stand by my sugestion of using a existing pan tilt camera, could be made well within you budget.

they are only 700g, It would be even lighter after u remove the stock electronics and networking

all u would need is 2 ESC's.... and to custom mount ur camera where the stock one is...
it would give u 270° pan & 90° tilt

oh & they have a standard camera bolt hold on the bottom to attach to the cable car