Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

need advise please....

Hi everyone,

Just joined. I have been in the rc hobby since 1983 when my father bought and built a Tamiya Frog with me. Moved about 5 years ago and the RC's have finally just been unpacked.

Here are a few picks of my collection.

http://db.tt/yEq60Tll

http://db.tt/MoeJFdBB

So now I'm lookin to pickup a few toy. I really want a new electric monster truck. The LiPo brush less trucks look like a ton of fun to me.

I have basically narrowed it down to:

1) HPI Savage Flux HP
    2) TraxxasE-MaxxBrush less

Funny thing is, I went to my LHS last week and asked him about he Flux. He said he can order one but does not stock them anymore as he feels they are not a good truck???

He said they are very load and VERY prone to breaking. He said the traxxas e-maxx ore-revowere much better and I should really consider one of them.

I was really surprised to hear this and would like some opinions. I called around and none of the LHS's in Nassau Long Island have the flux in stock so I'm wondering what the deal is?

I was also very interested in the Thunde Tiger MT4 G3 but its lack of parts availability from any LHS's kind of turned me off.

So this my current situation an questions.

Thanks in advance,

Gromet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: need advise please....

There are TONS of threads on here about all of those trucks you mentioned. Usually turns into a HPI or more so Traxxas bashing arguement! I am not knowledgeable on any of them but after doing my reading on here and some YouTube video's, clearly the vehicle that I'm saving up to get is the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3!!! Lack of part availability you say? That's ok, it doesn't need as many as the other two vehicles. If you want to support your local hobby store and keep them thriving, get the HPI or Traxxas but if you want to keep yourself in business, the way to go IMO is the TT MT4 G3!!!
    \"Prime it, Pull it, Pound it\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

savage over the e-maxx
    e-maxx needs a lot of work to even get remotely near the durability of the savage(but then you will still have the weak e-maxx bulkheads that snap like twigs)

As for the MT4 G3 it all depends on what you want.

The G3 is a truggy that they threw MT tires on and removed its wing so it will outhandle a savage any day.
    as it seems from your pic you have a nitro savage(3rd on the shelf?) you would know what to expect for the most part handling, and durability wise. The handling of the flux is a tad different as it weighs more, and has way more power so it will flip VERY easy.

BTW not too shabby a collection, and nice Heng long Tiger I currently looking into rebuilding mine
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW not too shabby a collection, and nice Heng long Tiger I currently looking into rebuilding mine
    Thanks, actually its a Tamiya RC kit. Built painted and weathered by me...

http://db.tt/ifGF5M0P

Gromet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gromet

Thanks, actually its a Tamiya RC kit. Built painted and weathered by me...

http://db.tt/ifGF5M0P

Gromet
    sorry(I know that tamiya prolly cost more than 5 heng longs) damn looks very close from what I could see in the 1st pic, but yea the close ups show way more detail
    nice weathering job

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I have the MT4g3 and love it. Its one of the best rc's I've had. I have a brushless EMAXX and my friend has a Savage flux. The EMAXX don't compare in any aspect. The hobby shop loves to sell them because they know you will be back (many times) for parts. The HPI is nice, but just don't handle like the MT4, and it uses more parts as well.
    I am not biased, I like all of them, but the MT4 is money well spent. I haven't broke anything on mine yet and its bone stock right out of the box. I have put a ton of money into my BL EMAXX and its still not near as nice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since I have bought my MT4, I've only when to the lhs twice, once for a new body shell and the other for a suspension plate (this is in 2 months). This is exactly why lhs don't like selling the thunder tiger mt4, they can't make money on spares. If you do break something, any part you will ever need is available at towerhobbies and most good lhs can order them for you if you the type who doesn't like internet shopping.

The savage flux is great but it lacks the handling and flips over so much. I can even go as far to say that the mt4 is a bit more durable being a truggy design but every one has there own opinion on who has the edge, mt4 or savage. The savage is more expensive too.

The e-maxx, don't bother at all, even if you do upgrade it it will not ever be as good as the mt4 or savage. I've seen those things snap like twigs. If your lhs thinks the savage is weaker than the e maxx then he is not looking after you. I know that everyone's entitled to there own opinion but the emaxx is really a joke. I personally wouldn't want to deal with that lhs. 

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Coming from someone who has driven and owned both the emaxx and savage, i must lmao at the guy at your LHS.... No experience with the MT4, though i have heard good things.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Electric truggy>.................................................. ........MT4>Savage>.................................................. .................................................. ...............Emaxx

Electric truggy is the way to go for a real monster truck (as much as that sounds like a contradiction). The thing is truggies have lower center of gravity, much better suspension geometry and are a LOT more durable than monster trucks. Don't get me wrong though, you'll pay for the privilege of owning an electric truggy as they are really a racing platform and the pinnacle of the surface hobby, in terms of evolved design and materials employed. Firstly, there are only like 2 or 3 in the market that are electric out of the box (the MT4 is technically one of them). For now, the best way to build an electric truggy continues to be buying a nitro kit and a full dedicated electric conversion (including chassis swap). You must get the chassis swap rather than the cheap conversions which are just a motor mount and battery tray, as the nitro layout is not balanced for electric, the dedicated electric layout of the conversion chassis makes a big difference. Tekno RC make excellent full chassis conversion for most cars including the D8T I mention in a second.

One of the most economical platforms to do this with is the Hot Bodies D8T, it's a really good racing truck, and as a basher it excels, as all truggies do. You can pick up the nitro kit for reasonable prices and a full electric chassis conversion with everything you need except electrics will only run you another $120. But when you factor in another $150 to $300 for electronics, it starts to get pretty pricy. Still, if your wallet can handle it, I assure you this is the most fun you can have with a remote in your hand.

The MT4 is an interesting case. It's actually technically a truggy, which is why it has a big advantage over the Savage. The MT4 has a center differential, something the Savage SORELY lacks. The MT4 is also lighter and more durable than the Savage, and will handle 6S with comfort. On the flip side, the MT4 is built poorly, it will need checking, but that's its only disadvantage (the Savage isn't exactly built by master craftsmen either, but hey...). In every other meaningful way it is the best of both worlds, 1/8th racer/monster cross breed.

The Savage is a good truck if you want to do one thing and one thing only. Flips. Due to the lack of a center diff, the fact that all the weight is in the middle of the car, and the overweight wheels and tires, it flips really nicely in the air off jumps. However, it flips just as easily on the ground, when accelerating, braking and even turning. Savages need SIGNIFICANT further investment to have even acceptable handling and durability. And even after that investment, will not handle even half as good as a real truggy due to the lack of a center diff and wing, high CoG, etc.

Personally, I have owned cars of every class, I currently have a Savage Flux with nearly $2000 bucks in and it still doesn't make me smile like my Xray truggy (though lets tell it like it is, the Xray truggy is arguably the single best RC car in existence at the moment and would be far more expensive to complete than even the Hot Bodies truggy). Here are some pics of both cars (below), and believe me, there is nothing that Savage can do that the truggy can't (except more rotations in the air), nowhere it can go the truggy can't, but there are myriad things which are more fun with the truggy.

Once again, don't dismiss the MT4, best of all worlds and definitely one of the single biggest bargains in RC right now. You will not have any trouble finding parts ever, despite lack of local support. The MT4 is based on a well known and well established truggy the TTR ST-1, also one of the single finest bargains in the hobby back then, as its successor is now. TTR are also the biggest RC company worldwide, they aren't going anywhere and neither are parts.

By the way, I started in 1984 with a Tamiya Frog too!

The Sav (has half the upgrades available fitted)...

And the Xray XT8 truggy (in a totally different league)

Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agree with most everything you said Foxy, except one thing. "Significant further investment for acceptable durability"? I will agree about the flipping thing, hope you like running after your rcs cause im constantly flipping mine. And yes it handles like crap. But it is a MONSTER TRUCK. It is not designed for racing but rather bashing, and i feel it exceeds in this area. I have beat the crap outta mine and have yet to break anything but the arm on the steering servo and thrashed some bodies. Also, not everyone likes electric, albeit it can be much faster. You can have my nitro when you pry it from my dead cold castor oily hands.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think Foxy NAILED it regarding handling of the Savage. I am a new proud owner of a Savage X 4.6, and have been SHOCKED at how poorly it handles. My full review is forthcoming, but on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 3 on handling at best. Sharp turn at 15 mph guaranteed roll. And any kind of turn at 25+ mph...your running.

With that, I am a buggy guy, so can only compare it to those. I'm okay with the lack of handling. It will probably be the only Monster Truck I get, which is why I got the baddest one out there. It's my extreme bashing vehicle, and the pros do make up for the lack of handling....but Iam still amazed at how poorly it handles. Regardless, at least I have one and can use it for what it's intended.

My next vehicle will be a truggy.

Mugen MBX6R, HB D8T, Losi 8 2.0, Savage X 4.6, Losi 810, Hyper 7, Exceed Forza
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NitroRCNerds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I think Foxy NAILED it regarding handling of the Savage. I am a new proud owner of a Savage X 4.6, and have been SHOCKED at how poorly it handles.
    My full review is forthcoming, but on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 3 on handling at best. Sharp turn at 15 mph guaranteed roll. And any kind of turn at 25+ mph...your running.

With that, I am a buggy guy, so can only compare it to those. I'm okay with the lack of handling. It will probably be the only Monster Truck I get, which is why I got the baddest one out there. It's my extreme bashing vehicle, and the pros do make up for the lack of handling....but IĀ*am still amazed at how poorly it handles. Regardless, at least I have one and can use it for what it's intended.

did you take out the shock pre-loads?

also its a monster truck that majority of owners will say handle like a cinder block on wheels... and honestly thats why a lot of us love em It adds a whole new dimension to bashing keeping it on its wheels where as a truggy I find is kinda meh in that regard. Too easy to keep truggies planted to make bashing fun IMO.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At the end of the day it all personal preference, I am buggy and truggy guy myself.
    Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love the look of Monster Trucks in scale and full scale. Something about Monster Tires with me. Almost the same feeling as a woman with big "fill in on your own"! But when I bought mine, I bought a buggy. Big tires and a gear swap made it the perfect MT for me. IF I ever want to race or run with other buggies/truggies/sc's, tire swap,gear swap, and body..."Poof".... I got one!
    \"Prime it, Pull it, Pound it\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I think Foxy NAILED it regarding handling of the Savage. I am a new proud owner of a Savage X 4.6, and have been SHOCKED at how poorly it handles.
    My full review is forthcoming, but on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 3 on handling at best. Sharp turn at 15 mph guaranteed roll. And any kind of turn at 25+ mph...your running.

With that, I am a buggy guy, so can only compare it to those. I'm okay with the lack of handling. It will probably be the only Monster Truck I get, which is why I got the baddest one out there. It's my extreme bashing vehicle, and the pros do make up for the lack of handling....but Iam still amazed at how poorly it handles. Regardless, at least I have one and can use it for what it's intended.

I have not, but thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to look at ways to tune it for better handling (no matter how small). As noted, it's certainly serving its purpose, so that is great. When I feel like running something that will handle like a little whippet on the road, I've got my buggies. When I feel like running something that will run over/through anything its way-I've got my MT. ;-) The best of both worlds.
    Mugen MBX6R, HB D8T, Losi 8 2.0, Savage X 4.6, Losi 810, Hyper 7, Exceed Forza
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NitroRCNerds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

With that, I am a buggy guy, so can only compare it to those. I'm okay with the lack of handling. It will probably be the only Monster Truck I get, which is why I got the baddest one out there. It's my extreme bashing vehicle, and the pros do make up for the lack of handling....but IĀ*am still amazed at how poorly it handles. Regardless, at least I have one and can use it for what it's intended.

I have not, but thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to look at ways to tune it for better handling (no matter how small). As noted, it's certainly serving its purpose, so that is great. When I feel like running something that will handle like a little whippet on the road, I've got my buggies. When I feel like running something that will run over/through anything its way-I've got my MT. ;-) The best of both worlds.
    yea before I removed all the pre-loads my savage X would literally flip at any speed over idle in a turn. Since removal I'd say it can prolly take turns going 10-15ish mph, but wheelies are a tad harder to pull(not much, but I also find em a bit more controllable).