Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Considering buying 5 y/o Nitro Cars from Storage

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Considering buying 5 y/o Nitro Cars from Storage

Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 AM
NCWalrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying 5 y/o Nitro Cars from Storage

I am consider buying a lot of several used (one never used) Nitro/electric R/C cars from Storage.

These are reputable brands like HPI, OFNA, Losi, Traxxas

All cars are complete and RTR and were lightly used 5 years ago and not touched again. My assumption is they were not properly prepped for storage.

What risks am I assuming? Will I need to replace many parts on these to get them functional again? Will the nitro ones need new parts and electric one as well?

I am a complete RC newbie and appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Considering buying 5 y/o Nitro Cars from Storage

I would be very carefull, im not saying dont, but I dont know if u would have the skills to diognoise any problems them possibly might have. Might end up been very fustrating. Then again u might get them up and running with no major headake.

If its well with in ur budget go for it..

Can u unspect the cars before? & I would recomend finding out exactly what they are so u can check for the availability of parts
Old 10-19-2012, 04:53 AM
NCWalrus

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I can check out the cars before buying. They also come with many parts/accessories.

Only thing I am worried about is if they sat for that long maybe there could be corroded fuel lines or leaking batteries that could ruin parts? 

Also not sure how expensive new glow plugs/parts are. 

The main car is an HPI RS4 so I believe there are a lot of parts out there for that?

Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

The questions I have, is how many cars are in the lot and for how much??
Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son has an Associated RC10Gt that was in storage for 7-8 years and trust me, this kid does nothing to prepare anything for anything! I took him to a LHS that had parts for it. We put on a new pull starter,glow plug, and new batteries (after cleaning the gunk left from the old ones). Filled with fuel and after about 20 sum pulls, it fired up and ran. Some minor tuning and it was a beast all day! I'm not afraid of anything stored away in any condition cause anything is repairable as long as you got a decent price. Heck, my Kyosho's have been in storage for over 10 years and they all fired and ran but parts are tough to get.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RS4 extremely common vehicle that has tons of parts

As for fuel lines don't worry about that most hobby shops you can get 1 foot of fuel tube for $1 that I dealt with. Glow plugs last I bought then were $6 a pop or so. Even the battery holders aren't that expensive.

Only things would be if the engines were properly broken in, taken care of, and stored in a dry environment so rust wouldn't form in the engine.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 AM
NCWalrus

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

RS4 extremely common vehicle that has tons of parts

As for fuel lines don't worry about that most hobby shops you can get 1 foot of fuel tube for $1 that I dealt with. Glow plugs last I bought then were $6 a pop or so. Even the battery holders aren't that expensive.

Only things would be if the engines were properly broken in, taken care of, and stored in a dry environment so rust wouldn't form in the engine.
Great info - this is just what i was looking for.

Thank you sir !
Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

The questions I have, is how many cars are in the lot and for how much??
I would have to agree with cumminspower on this one. It is a matter of how much you pay and how many there are. Write each one down then look them up online to see if they are current and parts are available if they are not current.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would never purchase a used nitro without trying it out first (unless I got it for like 70% off). This is not to say that there are not well-kept nitros for sale, but you simply don't know the problem(s) you might be inheriting. With that, the fact the seller has five of them does probably indicate he was serious about "the hobby" and in all likelihood did take care of them. I know if I were to ever sell any of mine, the buyer would get a "like new" car....but those are merely words.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly that is what I was trying to say. It's like sending a child to buy a lot of cars from a blind man.

If u don't know what to look for and what possible problems they could have, how are u going to diagnose any problems or fix the problems?