Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hard Case vs. Soft Case lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Case vs. Soft Case lipo?

Hey. So I'm looking into lipos for my RC cars and would like to know, is it okay to use a soft case, or should i use a hard case? The reason I like soft cases is because I can tell when the pack is puffing, and with a hard case, I can't tell if it is puffing or not. Any opinons on this?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hard Case vs. Soft Case lipo?

If you can fit it, hard case all the way. They hold up much better to dings, drops and debris.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Microz

Thanks. What about the issue with swelling though? I like to dispose of my lipos on the very first sight of puffing...not when they start puffing a lot.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very easy to tell hard cases if puffed
put it on a flat surface the edges will not lay flat if its swelling mildly.
also the case will crack if its bad enough to need disposing of
I mainly use hard cases
I've slightly damaged a soft case lipo by dropping it(landed on something and dented it pretty good so far it still works fine) where I've dropped my hard case one a pile of times
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 AM
Microz

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

well one more minor thing when selecting a pack type (I really should have put this in my other post).
look at how the wires exit the battery to see if it will cause any issues.
On a few of my RC's I've tried soft case packs but the way the wire exited the pack the wire would hit my steering setup causing it to bind. Even my one hard case where the wire comes out the top (like on 6 cell packs) the wire was hitting the steering posts. I had to get a hard case that the wires left the face of it (part with the brand name sticker)so they wouldn't interfere with the steering. Then again I got some RC's where hard case packs couldn't fit if I wanted them to and they require soft cases.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Microz

Okay cool thanks. I think the best bet would be with one coming out of the front of the pack. Oh and I'm assuming that if I want to race at some point, I'm going to need hardcase?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3s lipo softcase turned into a taco when I hit a curb head on at 50mph (only other damage was a broken bumper mount and damaged shell).

My 2s zippy flightmax hardcases are holding up very well and didn't show any signs of damage when I hit the same curb at 40mph

My softcases always seem to get a bit beaten up though if the chassis exposes them too much like when you have gaps in the battery compartment to accomodate stickpacks. Turnigy hardcases are crap (not the battery, just the cases) they are brittle and 2 out of 3 of the one I've owned from turnigy have broken hardcases. The 4 zippy flighmax ones are holding up great, no damage.

So go hard case if it fits, if not, soft case
Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

weird I own 5-6 hard case packs from turnigy (well mine are older like 2 years) and didn't find em brittle as they are yet to break.
but hey I have older stock new ones might be made a bit cheaper to cut corners
Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Microz

Cool thanks guys. I'm going to probably use Sky lipos and then maybe some Gens Ace later on...not sure how good the hard case is on them...
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Sigma.40

I wish Traxxas used hard cases. I want a hard case lipo but I don't want to give up the almost 2 hour run-time that I get from their 10000 MaH 2s lipo!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I wish Traxxas used hard cases. I want a hard cse lipo but I don't want to give up the almost 2 hour run-time that I get from their 10000 MaH 2s lipo!
I guess you could buy 2 5000mah hard cases.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Microz

I wish Traxxas used hard cases. I want a hard case lipo but I don't want to give up the almost 2 hour run-time that I get from their 10000 MaH 2s lipo!

Yeah, but then I'd be running my VXL on 4s. Plus,my only electric is a Stampede 4x4 andit wouldn't hold 2 lipos even if the esc could handle it.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Microz

Yeah, but then I'd be running my VXL on 4s. Plus,my only electric is a Stampede 4x4 andit wouldn't hold 2 lipos even if the esc could handle it.
Yeah thats true. But I was thinking maybe you could switch them out after the other is drained down...pretty sure you like the continuous running though.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Sigma.40

Yeah thats true. But I was thinking maybe you could switch them out after the other is drained down...pretty sure you like the continuous running though.

Oh my bad, I get what you're saying. I was tired when I readthat.When this 10000 MaH one gives out thats probably what I'll do. Although, Traxxas offers free replacement in the 1st year and 50% replacement after that for the lifetime of the battery. $80 for a $160 battery is pretty damn good.

-Didn't mean to hijack this thread!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

weird I own 5-6 hard case packs from turnigy (well mine are older like 2 years) and didn't find em brittle as they are yet to break.
but hey I have older stock new ones might be made a bit cheaper to cut corners
Mine cracked near the edges. I hope I just got a bad batch

Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Microz

Oh my bad, I get what you're saying. I was tired when I readthat.When this 10000 MaH one gives out thats probably what I'll do. Although, Traxxas offers free replacement in the 1st year and 50% replacement after that for the lifetime of the battery. $80 for a $160 battery is pretty damn good.

Thats actually a pretty good deal for a $160 battery!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Sigma.40

Thats actually a pretty good deal for a $160 battery!!!

I thought so.

-I wonder how big we can make this "quote" pyramid?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

What ever is cheap haha!