Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What are big bore shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are big bore shocks?

This is probably a dumb question....but hey - that's why I'm here. ;-)

What constitutes "big bore" shocks? It seems all manufactures sell big bore shocks....what are they? Specifically, what delineates big bore shocks, from non-big bore shocks.

Are they like a salad. Only bigger?

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What are big bore shocks?

I don't know if there's a specific diameter involved but, compare the traditional 1/10 scale shocks used by Losi and Associated vehicles for the past 10 years. Then take a look at the new shocks that come with the SC10 4x4 FT, Losi 22 or Proline's aftermarket "Big Bore" shocks. It's the big diameter that sets them apart. Pretty basic.

As far as performance, all I know is what Iread about them and the rumor on the street is that they are smoother and more consistent. Nothing I own besides my Savage has big bores. But, even the Savage's shocks seem sort of normal sized in comparison to the proportions of the rest of the truck.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just means fatter than the standard bore for the RC.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Haddi Taha

Do they really improve performance and durabilty?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Foxy

Very astute question...For most they are nothing more than a placebo.

If you have an old (for example) Mugen MBX5, with standard (I think they were 14mm) shocks, upgrading to the 16mm MBX6 shocks will definitely make your suspension more plush. Whether or not it makes any real difference to anything, perhaps, but only at the very top level of racing. One of the main criticisms of the Xray cars was that they were slow to fit their cars with 16mm shocks as standard, so I guess it is something that racers feel that they need in order to be competitive. Durability, well depends, if they have thicker shafts than the originals, potentially yes.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
JohnP2

I'm a little dissapointed no one got the salad reference. Anyone? ;-)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I'm confused, I sware the traxxas big bore shocks use the same piston and shaft as the stockies, but then again it's traxxas
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I don't get it, is it an American thing?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 AM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I don't get it, is it an American thing?

nope... maybe a Texas thing. i dont get it either.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Ok I'm confused, I sware the traxxas big bore shocks use the same piston and shaft as the stockies, but then again it's traxxas
You are correct. The traxxas big bores and the stock vxl/xl5 are the same for the most part. I think the shafts are the only difference and NOT for the better. Ever set of "big bores" I've owned have bent the shafts.

The traxxas big bores actually came around back when the stock trucks shipped with the old black shocks. In those cases the big bores were an upgrade. Not so today.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 AM
pcarluvr

Personally don't know why they even use the "Big Bore" words in the first place. It's not like they took a standard shock and bored it bigger! A "Larger Capacity" or "Large Body" would suit it better. And when certain companies make a "Big Bore" shock making it with the standard shock shafts is redundant. If I had a "push~up" (american ice cream that you pushed the stick up to eat the ice cream out of a tube) and they made one that was 2-3 x it's normal size, the standard stick would not work! LOL...

@johnp2 - I'm racking my brain tryin to get the salad thing and it's driving me nutz!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr

Personally don't know why they even use the ''Big Bore'' words in the first place. It's not like they took a standard shock and bored it bigger! A ''Larger Capacity'' or ''Large Body'' would suit it better. And when certain companies make a ''Big Bore'' shock making it with the standard shock shafts is redundant. If I had a ''push~up'' (american ice cream that you pushed the stick up to eat the ice cream out of a tube) and they made one that was 2-3 x it's normal size, the standard stick would not work! LOL...

@johnp2 - I'm racking my brain tryin to get the salad thing and it's driving me nutz!
If the bore of the shock is larger than previously, then to me it would justifiably be called big bore. The shafts are just a link and as long as they are made out of a strong enough material then size will not matter.

I believe the salad quip is referring to the bore....as in salad is a bore...the bigger bore=larger salad.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM
JohnP2

Sorry guys. Maybe a little too obscure. ;-)

Famous quote from Seinfeld TV show! Elaine normally orders a "big salad" where she dines. She goes to a new restaurant and orders a big salad. The waitress sarcastically asks, "What's a big salad?". Elaine snidelyreplies, "It's a salad. Only bigger. With lots of stuff in it." Google it.

Thus just wondering if big bore shocks are just shocks. Only bigger. I thought it was funny, which is all that counts. Ha!

Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM
cumquat

Famous quote from Seinfeld TV show! Elaine normally orders a ''big salad'' where she dines. She goes to a new restaurant and orders a big salad. The waitress sarcastically asks, ''What's a big salad?''. Elaine snidely replies, ''It's a salad. Only bigger. With lots of stuff in it.'' Google it.

Thus just wondering if big bore shocks are just shocks. Only bigger. I thought it was funny, which is all that counts. Ha!

you just showed your dorkness and age.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: cumquat

Yoweee. Cruel Shoes
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: cumquat

Famous quote from Seinfeld TV show! Elaine normally orders a ''big salad'' where she dines. She goes to a new restaurant and orders a big salad. The waitress sarcastically asks, ''What's a big salad?''. Elaine snidelyreplies, ''It's a salad. Only bigger. With lots of stuff in it.'' Google it.

Ha! Dorkness - yes. Age? Come now. Seinfeld is ageless! ;-) Then again, it's one of those things you either "get" or don't. There are a few lurkers out their laughing their ***** of at it, I'm sure. Anyway, back to my original question...thanks for the responses. I got what I needed. They are simply shocks, only bigger with more stuff in it.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 PM
phmaximus

Does anyone know for a fact is the big bore shocks have a bigger bore?

Because Im 99% sure the traxxas ones are not if anything they are ever so slightly smaller. because the RPM duel stage pistons fit with ease in the stock shocks, but may require some light sanding to fit the traxxas big bore shocks.

my understanding the traxxas BB use the same shafts as the stockies, just they are TiN coated and the bore holds more oil to keep the oil temp down, kind of like piggy back shocks

PS sorry guys I cant stand Seinfeld, It was funny back in its hay day, but these days not so much. I cant relate to it at all.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Haddi Taha

Famous quote from Seinfeld TV show! Elaine normally orders a "big salad" where she dines. She goes to a new restaurant and orders a big salad. The waitress sarcastically asks, "What's a big salad?". Elaine snidelyreplies, "It's a salad. Only bigger. With lots of stuff in it." Google it.

Now I remember, I watched that episode last year.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Anthoop

Great word "dork". I have never watched Seinfeld so I will not comment on the display of dorkiness.

If the part is labelled as big bore and is an upgrade for a specific model then I would hope the bore would be larger...without referring to a specific car how would you know whether the bores will be larger.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Eman77

The Seinfeld quote was awesome, I knew it when I read it, but am slow to respond.

That show was awesome, and still is. As far as "not relating" to it, I'm not sure if that's relevant to me. Sometimes you don't have to "relate" to it - it's just funny to you, or not. It's funny to me. Always was.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Ttowntoolman

The BIG salad.....I get it now. Wow, thought I was the only freak show that could still relate to a Seinfeld episode. That was the best show ever mang! The close talker....she got man hands......cant stand ya.......jimmy legs. Wow I miss that shiz. Thanks for the memory JohnP2!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:10 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Great word ''dork''. I have never watched Seinfeld so I will not comment on the display of dorkiness.

If the part is labelled as big bore and is an upgrade for a specific model then I would hope the bore would be larger...without referring to a specific car how would you know whether the bores will be larger.

Ahhh but define big bore? is it stroked or bored?

Im sure it would be wasy to work out, by the amount of oil it takes to fill it
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: Eman77

The Seinfeld quote was awesome, I knew it when I read it, but am slow to respond.

That show was awesome, and still is. As far as ''not relating'' to it, I'm not sure if that's relevant to me. Sometimes you don't have to ''relate'' to it - it's just funny to you, or not. It's funny to me. Always was.
Maby its a American thing? I only know one guys that likes it, the rest of us cant stand it.
as a comedian, Seinfeld wasent very funny.
Now the Seinfeld parodies are funny as hell
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
nitroexpress

Ahhh but define big bore? is it stroked or bored?

Im sure it would be wasy to work out, by the amount of oil it takes to fill it
Big bore always refers to bore and not stroke.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Maby its a American thing? I only know one guys that likes it, the rest of us cant stand it.
as a comedian, Seinfeld wasent very funny.
Now the Seinfeld parodies are funny as hell
agree on everything but the american thing seeing only like 3 people I know said it was funny, but I never heard one laugh while they were watching it.

I for one find my dentist while he has a drill in my mouth to be funnier than seinfeld.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.