Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Mamba Monster fires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mamba Monster fires?

Am I the only one who has been having issues with MMM controlers catching fire? I have burnt up 4 ESC's in about a year maybe a year and a half[:@]. One was my fault when the car accidentally drove into a puddle I didn't see. One just quite after landing a jump and having the chassis slap hard on the ground in my 8ight 2.0 buggy. and two just randomly caught fire. One tonight. I was about to do some speed runs tonight and was just checking the range and setting up trim. when it just burst into flames.[:@] I never even got it past 30 MPH. I still have two more that are working just fine but who knows when they will just randomly burn up. And I have had 2 others in the past year that have worked great up till I traded the cars they were in. When they are working they are awesome but I have lost all confidence in these ESC's. I have never had an issue with the motors but I won't be using their ESC's anymore and I won't be recomending Castle ESC's to anybody. I might switch to Tekin or try the HobbyWing ESC's. Anybody have any experience with the LRP ix8?

OK...rant over
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Mamba Monster fires?

Thats.....BS, Wow to say i would be annoyed if that was me is a under statement
Im looking for a ESC for my Losi 8ight too, ive been put off getting a Castle ESC by reading these stories. From what ive been reading the Tekin RX8 sounds very reliable, I dident even know about the LRP iX8. Only other thing that seems reliable is the Hobby Wing XERUN. I thought since the RX8 & iX8 are both sensorless I should compare the XERUN with a sensorless motor to them not the EZRUN.

But can Hobby Wing really compare to 2 of the best manufacturers in racing???
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Er...I have only heard of one other incident where someone blamed a MMM for a fire, and looking at his photos, it looked like a battery fire to me. lol.

Wow, just...wow.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM
phmaximus

check this one Foxy, Seems the castle ESC have a bitof a history of catching fire

[link=http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25239]WOW[/link]

[link=http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=307843]more[/link]

[link=http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159445]more[/link]

[link=http://rctodayshow.com/reviews/sab-goblin-700-review/]more[/link]

[link=http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=271549]more[/link]

[link=http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=293399&highlight=castle+bites+dust]more[/link]
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 AM
phmaximus

wow

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFy1Nab2WWw[/youtube]
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 MMM, one is a year+ old and the other one is 3 months. No issues with either one but I dont run them every day either. Also the year+ one has had 6s in it several times.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM
echthelion

if i ever go 8th scale elec ill get a tekin just because i live 2 hours from the hq so i can ***** in person if i need to lol
Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 AM
The Hedgehog

I have 2, one was in the earlier batch where they all failed and they replaced that for free, the other is newer and never had any problems.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
yakfish

maybe I'll give the Mamba XL2 a try next!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

That sucks, I'm sorry. Are they going to replace it for you? I had an XL-5 esc go up in smoke once but no flames, just lots and lots and LOTS of smoke. It was my fault though, I had something hooked up backwards.

I wonder if any Velineon ESCs have caught on fire under normal use?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
yakfish

I have to look and see if I can find the reciept. This one was a replacement from about 4 months ago. I sent 2 in at a time for non-warranty replacement ($70) and this was one of the ones I got back from them. I know I kept the reciept but it could be anywhere now I'm bad about keeping track of paperwork[&:]

I currently have three of these systems and have probably owned about 10 total. so that is a 40% failure rate. Although I admit one was my fault for getting it wet the other 2 seemed to be random and I understand that that stuff happens sometimes and I was willing to give the company the benifit of the doubt, but now another one bites the dust and i think I am done with them. Castle and Tekin are supposed to be the best of the best right? But I have heard too many stories of castle ESC's burning up and now have plenty of personal experience to back up whaty I ahev heard. The motors are excellent and the best I have ever used and I have put them thru their paces pretty well with zero problems so I will be keepng the motors. I may see if I can trade of the MMM ESC's I have left for Tein and see how I do with them. I had a truggy with an RX8 system but it didn't have the same brutal power of the MMM systems which is why I have stuck with castle until now. So maybe an RX8 ESC and the castle motors will be the best of both worlds? If castle will replace this one which I am sure they will since their CS is still top notch I will sell it as brand new with reciept and get something else to replace it with.

This is just all an irritating pain in the butt!