Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

There are lots of upgrades for Traxxas because there is a need for upgrades and enough people to buy them to make the business profitable

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

I hear people say that Traxxas models need to be heavily upgraded to be durable a lot, thing is there are more upgrades for Traxxas vehicles than any other brand so if you break something and you own a Traxxas you are more likely to upgrade that broken part and what do you know, the truck becomes more durable. I think it's a bit of a myth that you have to spend a fortune on upgrades just to get them to run, sure they have their weak points (most stuff does) but it's just not as bad as some people make out. If people were more specific about what in their opinion needed to be upgraded I would listen (by needed I mean if the part isn't upgraded it will break every five minutes under fairly normal driving conditions) but blanket statements like ''they need to be upgraded to be durable'' don't really mean much to me.
    The a arms are weak, minor jumping and broken. The steering and suspension bars will bend so easily. The gearing is light weight plastic and strips easily. The con rod is weak and breaks in the engine. I even had a wheel break after a minor jump. Shock tops will blow right off if you try and jump a little. What else should I describe for you?
    So is this on every Traxxas model? By gearing I assume you mean the gears in the transmission? I've never heard of anyone stripping tranny gears. The arms aren't that bad, they break if you're crashing all the time but "minor jumps"... yeah right. Shock caps can be an issue on SOME models but I've never blown a shock cap in any of my trucks, I also think it would take a decent jump or crash landing on one wheel to pop a shock cap. Traxxas wheels might be known for having their own bead style and that one of a kind hex but once again I've never heard of anyone breaking a wheel, especially after a "minor jump", I think you might have to chalk that one up as bad luck, just curious, but do you bash in the cold? you seem to break mainly plastic parts. The con rod, in fact the 3.3 on a whole is a bit of a dud, congrats on finding a common weak spot with their trucks but I still think it's all a bit of a beat up.

You don't have to describe anything for me just so you know, I just think blanket statements are often misleading and over exaggerated. If you feel the need to explain yourself that is up to you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Traxxass is not the biggest name is RC..... that title will go to Nikko who have been around since 1958............

Traxxas IMO bridges the gap between toy grade and hobby grade RC's........ I consider them to be substantially better then the Nikko type cars, but they fall very short of the higher grade products like Mugen and X-Ray

Racing is huge right now ... huge amounts of money is spent in the industry by racers...and Traxxas owns only a very small percentage of the racing market and even in the class they created their car is barely competitive...........

In the end I think Traxxas makes a great stepping stone product....great for getting people into the hobby, but because of their design and quality limitations they are not a product that I would get too attached too...There are better built , better performing machines that don`t cost any more money.....
    Neal Smith..owner Clockwork Racing Engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Its hard to say because maybe it's coincidental but I've seen many bent shock shafts on the 1/10 vehicles. Either my circle of friends is just rough on their trucks or the metal isntthe same qualty as other brands.

Specifically it has happened to: my 2wd Stampede, friends Rustler, other friends Slash 4x4, another friends Slash 4x4 andyet another friends 2wd Slash. ย*This is all since this summer. ย*However in fairness I was jumping my Stampede at a skatepark which is harsh on RCs. ย*My friends didnt go there, they usually drive at their own home or at the dry river bed.

I bent a shock shaft when I had a rustler vxl, but I do agree that people are to quick to bash traxxas. I always liked traxxas when I started but the longer i am in the hobby the less i like them, mainly because they keep re releasing cars. Not that they should come out with a brand new platform all the time but something a little more that a body. And traxxas needs a 1/8 buggy and truggy but it would probably cost $3000. lol
    If you dont know what your doing, its best to do it quickly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: supertib

Traxxass is not the biggest name is RC..... that title will go to Nikko who have been around since 1958............

Traxxas IMO bridges the gap between toy grade and hobby grade RC's........ I consider them to be substantially better then the Nikko type cars, but they fall very short of the higher grade products like Mugen and X-Ray

Racing is huge right now ... huge amounts of money is spent in the industry by racers...and Traxxas owns only a very small percentage of the racing market and even in the class they created their car is barely competitive...........

In the end I think Traxxas makes a great stepping stone product....great for getting people into the hobby, but because of their design and quality limitations they are not a product that I would get too attached too...There are better built , better performing machines that don`t cost any more money.....
    Look at the large majority of RC hobbyists. the large majority of them have never raced, and never will race. The majority stick to bashing, and that's it. I personally am a racer. But I understand why a basher wouldn't buy a Mugen or an X-Ray unless they really know what they're doing. If I was sticking purely to bashing, I'm going to go with a more basher friendly platform.
    Thinking outside the box of traditional RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Traxxas tires and waterproof servos are good, and maybe thier reciever boxes.
    Other than that the cars themseleves are pretty useless for racing.
    I dont own anymore traxxas products because im usually racing not bashing.
    Losi DT/Losi XX-4/Tamiya TA05/SC10/Tamiya 501x \"WCE\"/Yokomo YR4 M2/F-150/Blackfoot Xtreme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it kills me with all the "experts" on here saying traxxas sucks an is only aimed at noobies an bashers. where the h#ll did u think u started? where u born with a transmitter i ur hands running club mains at 2 yrs old? no u were a noob at one time that didnt know a thing about tuning or brushed motors. with that being said, i agree with what some things people are saying. the prices are high IMO. and using the same parts...with some things. i hate that they used the trx 2.5 carb with the 3.3 motor. but they prolly had a butt load of those castings made. so be it. i had a 2.5 tmaxx for almost 10 years that had seen 3 different motors, 1 set of new shocks, new electronics and tires here an there. it stil had the same a-arms, tranny, drivelines, an axles. that truck never broke. was it ready to be rebuilt? yes it was. but it made my buddies stepson happy when he got it. i also have a 2.5 revo that has had big blocks, OS small block an now a modded 3.3 with losi carb. that revo i bought back in 2007. just now shattered the tranny in it. an i beat the h#ll out of it. is traxxas my favorite company? no. i dont have a favorite company. i have traxxas, ofna, hpi and losi. i love them all. they all have there faults. i can totally understand why guys on here that just race dont like traxxas. traxxas aint about that. but u know what? they are making a buttload of money doing what there doing. more power to them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's like cars, I'm a huge Ford fan... Doesent meant they are the best

On good thing about traxxas is I bet it boosts the USA economy and gives people jobs.
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: outlawbrett

it kills me with all the "experts" on here saying traxxas sucks an is only aimed at noobies an bashers. where the h#ll did u think u started? where u born with a transmitter i ur hands running club mains at 2 yrs old? no u were a noob at one time that didnt know a thing about tuning or brushed motors. with that being said, i agree with what some things people are saying. the prices are high IMO. and using the same parts...with some things. i hate that they used the trx 2.5 carb with the 3.3 motor. but they prolly had a butt load of those castings made. so be it. i had a 2.5 tmaxx for almost 10 years that had seen 3 different motors, 1 set of new shocks, new electronics and tires here an there. it stil had the same a-arms, tranny, drivelines, an axles. that truck never broke. was it ready to be rebuilt? yes it was. but it made my buddies stepson happy when he got it. i also have a 2.5 revo that has had big blocks, OS small block an now a modded 3.3 with losi carb. that revo i bought back in 2007. just now shattered the tranny in it. an i beat the h#ll out of it. is traxxas my favorite company? no. i dont have a favorite company. i have traxxas, ofna, hpi and losi. i love them all. they all have there faults. i can totally understand why guys on here that just race dont like traxxas. traxxas aint about that. but u know what? they are making a buttload of money doing what there doing. more power to them.
    So who are they aimed at?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah, no way traxxas is aimed at racers. yeah sure u can race a revo or a slash, IMO the revo is starting to show its age and lack of changes since the 2008 revo platnium and the slash is only competitive against it self in slash only races.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the price of the E-revo it's better to buy an E-Truggy.
    Losi DT/Losi XX-4/Tamiya TA05/SC10/Tamiya 501x \"WCE\"/Yokomo YR4 M2/F-150/Blackfoot Xtreme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

it kills me with all the ''experts'' on here saying traxxas sucks an is only aimed at noobies an bashers. where the h#ll did u think u started? where u born with a transmitter i ur hands running club mains at 2 yrs old? no u were a noob at one time that didnt know a thing about tuning or brushed motors. with that being said, i agree with what some things people are saying. the prices are high IMO. and using the same parts...with some things. i hate that they used the trx 2.5 carb with the 3.3 motor. but they prolly had a butt load of those castings made. so be it. i had a 2.5 tmaxx for almost 10 years that had seen 3 different motors, 1 set of new shocks, new electronics and tires here an there. it stil had the same a-arms, tranny, drivelines, an axles. that truck never broke. was it ready to be rebuilt? yes it was. but it made my buddies stepson happy when he got it. i also have a 2.5 revo that has had big blocks, OS small block an now a modded 3.3 with losi carb. that revo i bought back in 2007. just now shattered the tranny in it. an i beat the h#ll out of it. is traxxas my favorite company? no. i dont have a favorite company. i have traxxas, ofna, hpi and losi. i love them all. they all have there faults. i can totally understand why guys on here that just race dont like traxxas. traxxas aint about that. but u know what? they are making a buttload of money doing what there doing. more power to them.

IMO, they are aimed at the new RC Car hobbiest who walks into the hobby store and sees all the colorful packaging, and boasting of wild and outragious speeds and is convinced by the shop employee that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Then two days later they are back to purchase more parts as they bust things learning to drive and how to maintain the vehicle properly. If they stick with the hobby they find out from forums like these or simple research on their own that there are many other types and brands with good reputations to choose from. And they move on from Traxxas. I guess it does fit a spot in the RC market. I know that my frustration stems from all the trouble I have had with my Jato's, most recently my sons stripped out the transmission gearing. I wish I had researched for months prior to purchasing these Jato's and found a more reliable, reasonably priced first Nitro vehicle for he and I. I have no one to blame but myself. I do enjoy my Jato, especially since I have replaced just about everything on the car with aftermarket hardened steel gearing so I don't have to continue to go to the LHS and buy more from the WALL-O-Parts. Based on the price you pay for a Jato, they are not built to justify that price point, again IMO, and experience.
    Traxxas Jato 3.3 Custom(2), HoBao Hyper 7(2), Associated MGT 4.6, Kyosho Javelin. Its better to be feared than loved.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it kills me with all the ''experts'' on here saying traxxas sucks an is only aimed at noobies an bashers. where the h#ll did u think u started? where u born with a transmitter i ur hands running club mains at 2 yrs old? no u were a noob at one time that didnt know a thing about tuning or brushed motors. with that being said, i agree with what some things people are saying. the prices are high IMO. and using the same parts...with some things. i hate that they used the trx 2.5 carb with the 3.3 motor. but they prolly had a butt load of those castings made. so be it. i had a 2.5 tmaxx for almost 10 years that had seen 3 different motors, 1 set of new shocks, new electronics and tires here an there. it stil had the same a-arms, tranny, drivelines, an axles. that truck never broke. was it ready to be rebuilt? yes it was. but it made my buddies stepson happy when he got it. i also have a 2.5 revo that has had big blocks, OS small block an now a modded 3.3 with losi carb. that revo i bought back in 2007. just now shattered the tranny in it. an i beat the h#ll out of it. is traxxas my favorite company? no. i dont have a favorite company. i have traxxas, ofna, hpi and losi. i love them all. they all have there faults. i can totally understand why guys on here that just race dont like traxxas. traxxas aint about that. but u know what? they are making a buttload of money doing what there doing. more power to them.

IMO, they are aimed at the new RC Car hobbiest who walks into the hobby store and sees all the colorful packaging, and boasting of wild and outragious speeds and is convinced by the shop employee that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Then two days later they are back to purchase more parts as they bust things learning to drive and how to maintain the vehicle properly. If they stick with the hobby they find out from forums like these or simple research on their own that there are many other types and brands with good reputations to choose from. And they move on from Traxxas. I guess it does fit a spot in the RC market. I know that my frustration stems from all the trouble I have had with my Jato's, most recently my sons stripped out the transmission gearing. I wish I had researched for months prior to purchasing these Jato's and found a more reliable, reasonably priced first Nitro vehicle for he and I. I have no one to blame but myself. I do enjoy my Jato, especially since I have replaced just about everything on the car with aftermarket hardened steel gearing so I don't have to continue to go to the LHS and buy more from the WALL-O-Parts. Based on the price you pay for a Jato, they are not built to justify that price point, again IMO, and experience.
    don't feel bad for getting frustrated some of traxxas's designs are royal PITA's to work on.
    I just recently found the joy it is to put rear arms on a mini revo(had the RPMs sitting for over a year in the package so I got the urge the other day)... Took me 45-55 mins to put on RPM arms on the rear... I'll be honest I don't own another RC that it was even remotely near as difficult to swap arms on. Before someone says its cause its so small I own 1/64th, 1/32(I think it is), 1/24th, 1/18th, 1/16th(the merv), 1/12th, 1/10th, and 1/8th scale RC's, and find the 1/18ths and down way easier to work on, and can change all 4 arms in under 7 minutes easy where the merv took somewhere around 50 minutes for 2...
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About a month ago I pretty much rebuilt my whole merv in under 2 hours including adding a center diff, replacing shock oil, shimming both diffs and rebuilding one and I also added front and rear Tbone bumpers. I honestly don't find it all that hard to work on, I look at trucks like the Savage XS and shudder at how hard it looks to get at things, I've heard a simple pinion change can be a bit of a task on one of those.

I have the Slash 4x4 and found this is one of the easiest to work on.  the front and rear suspension/gearbox can be removed very easily.  also the OG Slash 2wd is very easy to work on.  I basically removed and replace the gearbox assembly after every race.  although these platforms are not competitive out of the box. they can be brought up to date with a STRC LCG both for under $100.
    Traxxas Slash SSC LCG 4x4 MMP SCT, Tamiya TA05v2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About a month ago I pretty much rebuilt my whole merv in under 2 hours including adding a center diff, replacing shock oil, shimming both diffs and rebuilding one and I also added front and rear Tbone bumpers. I honestly don't find it all that hard to work on, I look at trucks like the Savage XS and shudder at how hard it looks to get at things, I've heard a simple pinion change can be a bit of a task on one of those.
    will say I didn't find adding the center diff to be extremely hard
    and the front end looks easier than the rear for arms to swap(I'm just looking at it not trying it yet).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For me, it seems like it depends what you're comparing the 1/16 Traxxas chassis' to. They are obviously different from anything else out there. But I regularly disassemble my 1/16 slash, clean it all up, and put it back together relatively quickly. I bought mine for the soul purpose of running it on my backyard snow track in the winter, so it gets really dirty and needs to be deep cleaned often. But then it sits on a shelf all summer while I run my non-winter cars.
    Thinking outside the box of traditional RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WALL-O-PARTS...LMAO! LOVE IT. That is funny tho cuz u walk into a LHS and there IS a huge wall of parts. good stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

outlawbrett

what market do u think traxxas are aiming for?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WALL-O-PARTS...LMAO! LOVE IT. That is funny tho cuz u walk into a LHS and there IS a huge wall ofย* parts. good stuff.

and 90% of it says Traxxas, or RPM for the Traxxas
    seems like every other company just gets a dusty tupper ware box of parts under the counter.

Hell the shop I go to I have to crawl past a pile of traxxas box's to open up their closet, and pull out the box's last time I was there a new worker didn't even know they stocked parts for ofna(to be fair I don't know how new he was)

and 9five9 I guess if you rip it apart all the time it gets easier. My experience was ripping down the rear end the 1st time. I've got 20+ RC's, and have replaced parts on all of them, but honestly if a beginner new to the hobby had to swap the rear arms either they would drop out hating the hobby thinking every RC was that hard, or it would end up at the hobby shop(prolly why I see at least 1 every time I go there for repair).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

WALL-O-PARTS...LMAO! LOVE IT. That is funny tho cuz u walk into a LHS and there IS a huge wall ofย* parts. good stuff.

and 90% of it says Traxxas, or RPM for the Traxxas
    seems like every other company just gets a dusty tupper ware box of parts under the counter.

Hell the shop I go to I have to crawl past a pile of traxxas box's to open up their closet, and pull out the box's last time I was there a new worker didn't even know they stocked parts for ofna(to be fair I don't know how new he was)

and 9five9 I guess if you rip it apart all the time it gets easier. My experience was ripping down the rear end the 1st time. I've got 20+ RC's, and have replaced parts on all of them, but honestly if a beginner new to the hobby had to swap the rear arms either they would drop out hating the hobby thinking every RC was that hard, or it would end up at the hobby shop(prolly why I see at least 1 every time I go there for repair).
    At my LHS Traxxas gets the dusty tuppepware box, I bought a ring gear for my E-Revo from them about a year ago that had been on their shelf for 5 years, Losi is the Traxxas of my LHS.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a side question, what does it take to make a waterproof traxxas 100% waterproof? I know the electronics will be fine but If I wanted to hose it down after bashing in the mud or rain what would I need exactly? Stainless steel,  rubber sealed bearings? And what model will suit this type of driving that is around $400 or lower?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Running in the wet is all about extra maintenance, ceramic bearings will help but you'll still need to pull it down from time to time to get water out of the gearbox and stuff like that, there is also water getting into the tyres to worry about. Getting wet is fun but there simply isn't an RC on the market that you can just hose off and leave till your next run.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Running in the wet is all about extra maintenance, ceramic bearings will help but you'll still need to pull it down from time to time to get water out of the gearbox and stuff like that, there is also water getting into the tyres to worry about. Getting wet is fun but there simply isn't an RC on the market that you can just hose off and leave till your next run.
    Ah well, but I hope one day there will be

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the worst RC car I have owned was a Revo..........the second worst was a T-Maxx........ end of story..... these were the most expensive, least reliable, highest maintenance machines I have owned to date bar none..and i have been in the hobby since 1984 ........ And whats even crazier is what I used to do with my revo's and T-Maxxes was gentle compared to what I do to my race machines...........I couldn't even dream of putting a Revo thru what I put my Serpent truggy thru.........And whats even crazier is I almost had as much money into my BB Revo as I do my full race Serpent Truggy....And the quality and capability difference between the two machines is staggering ...In the end I think Traxxas is a good company, good for getting people into the hobby, but their machines are pretty light duty and really not something I would get to hung up on.....Definitely not products geared toward the more advanced hobbyists like me..... not to sound snobby...but after driving the cars I do a Traxass feels like a kiddie toy to me...probably no different then someone with a Revo test driving a Nikko turbo Hopper.........The Nikko is going to feel like a lame kiddie toy next to the traxass, just like the traxass feels like lame kiddie toy next to my Serpents..just a big ol layer cake...To some the Nikko turbo Hopper is an amazingly fun machine and I can respect that totally...just like a I respect anyone with a Traxass...or better to say I don't disrespect anyone because they run a Traxass.... But its all in perspective....for me there is no going back to running RTR grade gear, I am way too hooked on the higher end cars, or actually more accurately I am hooked on the performance capabilities of the higher end cars.....I just would no longer be entertained by the performance capabilities of a Traxass product, even one fully hopped up just doesn't compare......

Anyway.

Happy New Year !!!
    Neal Smith..owner Clockwork Racing Engines

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast