RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas Critics opinion please

Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
  #126
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Come on guys pull ur heads in, no good will come from this topic
well actually it could in after market parts I've seen one of the guys from MIP comes here occasionally looking for ideas on what to make so id they see people wish certain parts were upgraded they potentially could be swayed to make them.

(Don't know how I missed that on the 1st page, and also questioning how I just noticed it now lol)
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM
  #127
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

I do think traxxas is one of the most inavative companys out, they really think out side the box, and I think that style of thinking attracts customers. I think the push rod suspension and dual universal ends on there sliders is a great idea. And the diff locks and 2 speed gears on a summit are cool. When traxxas prefects these, will that bring lost customers back?

I must admit when the revo 3.3 came out, that was very cool. Rocking up to a bash spot with a mate, I would watch him pull start his car with great fustration, I let at it and calmly walked to my revo and docked the battery wand into the back and pushed the button... Off it went, it's just too easy I said, I got the look of death lol, then showing him reverse... His jaw dropped. Nitro's don't have reverse he said. I just smiled and laughed going around the track and over the jumps backward.

I heard someone saying Telemerty is a gimmick, it's not, it's got some Awsome features, with mine I can tell motor rpm, speed, battery volts, motor temp, I've set extra gauges that show me average speed, max temp, min battery voltage and max rpm. It's also got audiable alarms for low voltage, and high temp. No more guessing about how much charge is left and the condition of my battery's, and the guess work with motor temp. Very handy for bashing on grass.
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 AM
  #128
Haddi Taha
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I do think traxxas is one of the most inavative companys out, they really think out side the box, and I think that style of thinking attracts customers. I think the push rod suspension and dual universal ends on there sliders is a great idea. And the diff locks and 2 speed gears on a summit are cool. When traxxas prefects these, will that bring lost customers back?

I must admit when the revo 3.3 came out, that was very cool. Rocking up to a bash spot with a mate, I would watch him pull start his car with great fustration, I let at it and calmly walked to my revo and docked the battery wand into the back and pushed the button... Off it went, it's just too easy I said, I got the look of death lol, then showing him reverse... His jaw dropped. Nitro's don't have reverse he said. I just smiled and laughed going around the track and over the jumps backward.

I heard someone saying Telemerty is a gimmick, it's not, it's got some Awsome features, with mine I can tell motor rpm, speed, battery volts, motor temp, I've set extra gauges that show me average speed, max temp, min battery voltage and max rpm. It's also got audiable alarms for low voltage, and high temp. No more guessing about how much charge is left and the condition of my battery's, and the guess work with motor temp. Very handy for bashing on grass.
There are many people like me who just don't see the greatness in "innovative" designs. How come most top end 1/8 buggies and truggies share roughly the same design which has been around for a fair bit a time? Because it works!
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 AM
  #129
turok007
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: , UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 483
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

i will say it again this is a good thread as there is excellent comments on why each person doesn't like the brand. also it's not full of people saying i dislike traxxas without giving a reason why. and if the prices were lower i think 99% of the complaints would go away. as in the UK i could get 3 sct trucks for the price of one slash 4x4.


Q do other company's get this much stick about there products.
turok007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 AM
  #130
Haddi Taha
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: turok007

i will say it again this is a good thread as there is excellent comments on why each person doesn't like the brand. also it's not full of people saying i dislike traxxas without giving a reason why. and if the prices were lower i think 99% of the complaints would go away. as in the UK i could get 3 sct trucks for the price of one slash 4x4.


Q do other company's get this much stick about there products.
I agree, everyone is expressing their opinions in a relatively civilised manner. I think price is the major barrier too. I am a fan of kits as it seems that I always end up replacing the electronics anyway. if i come across a cheap slash roller and I'm in the mood then I might snatch it up and see for myself.

I don't think there is any other rc company that is as hated and as loved at the same time as traxxas though, maybe i am missing something.

Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 AM
  #131
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

Quote:
ORIGINAL: turok007

i will say it again this is a good thread as there is excellent comments on why each person doesn't like the brand. also it's not full of people saying i dislike traxxas without giving a reason why. and if the prices were lower i think 99% of the complaints would go away. as in the UK i could get 3 sct trucks for the price of one slash 4x4.


Q do other company's get this much stick about there products.
yes and no from what I seen

Most times it depends on models like for example the HPI Brama 10b, HPI Recon, HPI Trophy are pretty much turds that should never have been sold (I have 1st hand experience with the 1st 2, and not read one positive thing from owners on the 3rd). But on the other hand HPI has some pretty decent RC's for their price range (excluding the 3 I mentioned before the 1st 2 should be at least half their price) like the Wheely king. Also HPI only raised prices on things like the wheely king($15 increase) after they added things like waterproof electronics, a 2.4ghz radio, and a water proof radio box(yes you get all that for $15 more than the old one) vs traxxas for their XL-5 line the only modification they did was an almost $50 price increase on the box it still has the Blue XL-5, still has the crummy AM Radio(I've had 2 TQ AM's, also used my nephews, and they were the WORST radio I've ever used as they were glitchy as hell).

So its not straight across the board bashing its more particular model bashing for most the other companies. But if you read a lot of this wasn't across the board bashing it was on weaknesses in vehicles like the MAXX line I've read of weaknesses in the originals which people still complain about on the ones sold today. The same is with the pede 2wd's front kingpin but now it seems worst as from what I read the kingpin would only bend when you clipped the front years ago now the king pin bends, and the hub snaps so its 2 parts to replace.

SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 AM
  #132
TheKennyKiller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: QLD, , AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,747
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

I don't like the 17mm hubs that come with the E-Revo and Summit. After a while they wear out and cause significant wheel wobble. IMHO, they're junk.
TheKennyKiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM
  #133
Scottypiper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ruraltown, PA
Posts: 31
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

yes and no from what I seen

Most times it depends on models like for example the HPI Brama 10b, HPI Recon, HPI Trophy are pretty much turds that should never have been sold (I have 1st hand experience with the 1st 2, and not read one positive thing from owners on the 3rd). But on the other hand HPI has some pretty decent RC's for their price range (excluding the 3 I mentioned before the 1st 2 should be at least half their price) like the Wheely king. Also HPI only raised prices on things like the wheely king($15 increase) after they added things like waterproof electronics, a 2.4ghz radio, and a water proof radio box(yes you get all that for $15 more than the old one) vs traxxas for their XL-5 line the only modification they did was an almost $50 price increase on the box it still has the Blue XL-5, still has the crummy AM Radio(I've had 2 TQ AM's, also used my nephews, and they were the WORST radio I've ever used as they were glitchy as hell).

So its not straight across the board bashing its more particular model bashing for most the other companies.
Do you see the eFirestorm Flux as being overpriced as well...since it's similar in price to the Rustlyer VXL?

RTRStadium trucks should be in what price range then...without being overpriced?

The reason why I'm asking is that Traxxas (Rustler VXL) and HPIRacing (e Firestorm Flux)having their stadium trucks around $320-340....where as Team Associated has theirs (T4.1) around $250 but you need a battery and a charger....although with a LiPo battery and charger it comes to like $330+

But then it's a comparison of what you are getting....are the transmitters equal?....etc.

I still have yet to decide after looking at stuff for over 3 weeks now....it's between HPIRacing's e Firestorm Flux...the Traxxas Rustler VXL....and Team Associated's T4.1......which is my best bang for the buck non-racing fun? I just wish I could get the looks of one on the frame of another. I love the looks to fthe Firestorm and Rustler compared to the T4.1 but from what I see - the T4.1 has better handling then the other two....I'm not worried about speed. In a lot of ways - I think Traxxas hypes up the speed thing too much...because wreckless speed gains you nothing but headaches and dents in your wallet. That and needing the space and flat surface for it to be somewhat safe.
Scottypiper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM
  #134
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,761
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Scottypiper


Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

yes and no from what I seen

Most times it depends on models like for example the HPI Brama 10b, HPI Recon, HPI Trophy are pretty much turds that should never have been sold (I have 1st hand experience with the 1st 2, and not read one positive thing from owners on the 3rd). But on the other hand HPI has some pretty decent RC's for their price range (excluding the 3 I mentioned before the 1st 2 should be at least half their price) like the Wheely king. Also HPI only raised prices on things like the wheely king($15 increase) after they added things like waterproof electronics, a 2.4ghz radio, and a water proof radio box(yes you get all that for $15 more than the old one) vs traxxas for their XL-5 line the only modification they did was an almost $50 price increase on the box it still has the Blue XL-5, still has the crummy AM Radio(I've had 2 TQ AM's, also used my nephews, and they were the WORST radio I've ever used as they were glitchy as hell).

So its not straight across the board bashing its more particular model bashing for most the other companies.
Do you see the e Firestorm Flux as being overpriced as well...since it's similar in price to the Rustlyer VXL?

RTR Stadium trucks should be in what price range then...without being overpriced?

The reason why I'm asking is that Traxxas (Rustler VXL) and HPI Racing (e Firestorm Flux) having their stadium trucks around $320-340....where as Team Associated has theirs (T4.1) around $250 but you need a battery and a charger....although with a LiPo battery and charger it comes to like $330+

But then it's a comparison of what you are getting....are the transmitters equal?....etc.

I still have yet to decide after looking at stuff for over 3 weeks now....it's between HPI Racing's e Firestorm Flux...the Traxxas Rustler VXL....and Team Associated's T4.1......which is my best bang for the buck non-racing fun? I just wish I could get the looks of one on the frame of another. I love the looks to fthe Firestorm and Rustler compared to the T4.1 but from what I see - the T4.1 has better handling then the other two....I'm not worried about speed. In a lot of ways - I think Traxxas hypes up the speed thing too much...because wreckless speed gains you nothing but headaches and dents in your wallet. That and needing the space and flat surface for it to be somewhat safe.
I was mainly talking about the brushed getting jacked up in price for no reason

as for the brushless 2wd the prices are kinda the same across the board. I'd say the firestorm is probably a tad better than the rustler though cause you can get tires easier without having to do mods, buy spacers, or buy certain offset rims, and I think I read its setup a little better out of the box. As for the T4.1 I heard that is a tad better than the firestorm.
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:09 PM
  #135
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I do think traxxas is one of the most inavative companys out, they really think out side the box, and I think that style of thinking attracts customers. I think the push rod suspension and dual universal ends on there sliders is a great idea. And the diff locks and 2 speed gears on a summit are cool. When traxxas prefects these, will that bring lost customers back?

I must admit when the revo 3.3 came out, that was very cool. Rocking up to a bash spot with a mate, I would watch him pull start his car with great fustration, I let at it and calmly walked to my revo and docked the battery wand into the back and pushed the button... Off it went, it's just too easy I said, I got the look of death lol, then showing him reverse... His jaw dropped. Nitro's don't have reverse he said. I just smiled and laughed going around the track and over the jumps backward.

I heard someone saying Telemerty is a gimmick, it's not, it's got some Awsome features, with mine I can tell motor rpm, speed, battery volts, motor temp, I've set extra gauges that show me average speed, max temp, min battery voltage and max rpm. It's also got audiable alarms for low voltage, and high temp. No more guessing about how much charge is left and the condition of my battery's, and the guess work with motor temp. Very handy for bashing on grass.
There are many people like me who just don't see the greatness in ''innovative'' designs. How come most top end 1/8 buggies and truggies share roughly the same design which has been around for a fair bit a time? Because it works!
If it wasent for innovation we all would be still running coffin and bath tub chassis. A great example is the RC10 look at all the innovations that have made it evolve. Or look at the losi smart diffs, or the slipperential, big bore shocks, slippers, fluid filled diffs, brushless combos, careless servos, carbon fiber chassis parts, high detail lexan bodies, movable motor position, TiN coated shafts, teflon coated shock bodies, etc there are so manny innovations in Rc carsthese days more than u would think.

If Manifactures stopped making innovative designs because there last design worked we wouldent see new cars and trucks. I highly recomend reading up what X-ray went through making there last EP touring car. Very innovative if u ask me

phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
  #136
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

For the record the blue xl5 is water proof and the newer ones have a LVC. Allso non traxxas owners wouldent know but they had the upgraded gearbox gears including the steel diff ring gear. So in short the blue ESC vehicles are lipo ready, and with a motor and ESC swap they are brushless ready. That's got to be worth the extra $50 right?
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
  #137
Haddi Taha
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I do think traxxas is one of the most inavative companys out, they really think out side the box, and I think that style of thinking attracts customers. I think the push rod suspension and dual universal ends on there sliders is a great idea. And the diff locks and 2 speed gears on a summit are cool. When traxxas prefects these, will that bring lost customers back?

I must admit when the revo 3.3 came out, that was very cool. Rocking up to a bash spot with a mate, I would watch him pull start his car with great fustration, I let at it and calmly walked to my revo and docked the battery wand into the back and pushed the button... Off it went, it's just too easy I said, I got the look of death lol, then showing him reverse... His jaw dropped. Nitro's don't have reverse he said. I just smiled and laughed going around the track and over the jumps backward.

I heard someone saying Telemerty is a gimmick, it's not, it's got some Awsome features, with mine I can tell motor rpm, speed, battery volts, motor temp, I've set extra gauges that show me average speed, max temp, min battery voltage and max rpm. It's also got audiable alarms for low voltage, and high temp. No more guessing about how much charge is left and the condition of my battery's, and the guess work with motor temp. Very handy for bashing on grass.
If Manifactures stopped making innovative designs because there last design worked we wouldent see new cars and trucks. I highly recomend reading up what X-ray went through making there last EP touring car. Very innovative if u ask me


There are many people like me who just don't see the greatness in ''innovative'' designs. How come most top end 1/8 buggies and truggies share roughly the same design which has been around for a fair bit a time? Because it works!
If it wasent for innovation we all would be still running coffin and bath tub chassis. A great example is the RC10 look at all the innovations that have made it evolve. Or look at the losi smart diffs, or the slipperential, big bore shocks, slippers, fluid filled diffs, brushless combos, careless servos, carbon fiber chassis parts, high detail lexan bodies, movable motor position, TiN coated shafts, teflon coated shock bodies, etc there are so manny innovations in Rc carsthese days more than u would think.

I'm not saying that making new ideas is bad but only change things that need to be changed. Good cars got tougher divetrains to handle brushless power, thats good innovation. Gear diffs are becoming popular in toruing cars s they last longer than the traditional ball diff, thats good too. Slipper clutches were introduced to protect gears from shocks and jolts, that helps. Traxxas put sliders instead of cvd shafts, whats wrong with CVD's? I don't think you see what I'm getting at or maybe I am doing a bad job explaining.

I searched up used slashes on ebay, I thinkI will just keep saving for a rc8.2e instead.
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM
  #138
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

CVD by design have excessive back lash and are prone to excessive ware. The greater the angle on a CVD the more it wares out the drive cup, (this is seen on most 1/8 buggies on the front gearbox to diff drive cups and the rear end drive cups)
the more wear they get, the more backlash they produce & the more backlash there is the faster it wears out.
The rate in witch they wear increases with each use. the biggest problem is they dont have universial joints at each end, so like i was saying the old style dog bone end wares out excessivle fast compared to the universial end. traxxas fixed that issue with a simple fix, why not have a universial join at each end with a sluder in the middle rather than using a dog bone as a join and a slider.
The traxxas universial slider shafts dont to this no where neer as much

I think gear diffs are becoming more common because they are more consistant and reduce heat
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 PM
  #139
Maj_Overdrive
 
Maj_Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

I'm a current and former Traxxas owner, but I'm a critic too so I gotta stick my nose in here. I know my wish list wont be granted, but cant hurt to try. Btw I've enjoyed the thread and hearing opinions and whatnot.

TMaxx: Idk why but I like it, maybe cause I like wrenching and there's so much that can (and should) be done to them. This is one of a few trucks where you can build a complete aftermarket truck and unfortunately you might be better off doing so. Can we please make aluminum bulkheads and RPM arms as standard equipment? I'm done with them and won't buy another, but I won't recommend them either without these upgrades. I've twisted the 2.5 style sliders like pretzels but the 3.3 style hold up well. Btw I've owned 8 Tmaxx's (only 1 new) including 3 big blocks, so I speak from long term experience with the platform.

Revo: I love the 3.3 chassis version, mine never needed RPM arms or the rings on the knuckles. I would like to see a redesign so a Big Block will fit with a pull or roto start, bump start sucks for bashers. Do this and I'll probably buy another. Leave the suspension soft, I'll buy stiffer springs and oil. Diffs sized more like standard 1/8th diffs would be nice though. Better quality aluminum on the 17mm hex adapters would be too. Btw I forget the part number but Ofna/hobao 17mm adapter fit better anyway.

Erevo: Battery boxes are on the small side and idk why but I couldn't get the handling like my 3.3 nitro. The Plastic sliders held up to Castles 1520 1600kv on 6s though. Sure the holes around the universals started to become oval over time, but it took longer than expected. Even the diffs held up to the power without issue and I run my slippers locked.

Slash/Stampede/Rally 4x4: I like this platform alot. It's basically 1/8 buggy size but without the weight and electronics end up being a bit cheaper because of it. I sold my Slash 4x4 though after buying one when they first came out cause I kept bending rear stub axles. Spending the $ on cvd's wasn't an option at that time and I was pissed at how easy they bent during normal driving. But I just picked up a Rally to parking lot race with a bunch of guys at my lhs for a "stock" class. Yea it's just a lcg Slash 4x4, but that's not a bad thing. As a Rally it's better than a 1/10th touring car on rougher asphalt and I can turn it into a slash by changing out the body, tires and adding the bumpers. Sorry, can't fault Traxxas on sharing this chassis, until I end up bending a stub axle then I'll be complaining while putting cvd's in it. I did notice there's some slop in the rear hinge pin mount causing the arms to move around that bugs me. Hopefully I can just make a new rear hinge pin brace to fix it. Big bores (or better shocks) as standard would be nice too. Anyone want to trade me some nice shocks for the stock 7cell NiMh and 2 day charger?

Minis: I can't stand them, the size alone makes them toys to me. But my nephew loves his merv and it takes quite a bit of abuse from that 10yr old before needing something stupid. I can't stand it though, the whole point of Rc is not having to touch the vehicle while driving it. Flipping it back onto its wheels every other minute sucks.

I'm not going to touch anything else, mostly because they're ancient and useless to me either way. They really should do something about the kingpin bolt on the rustler/bandit/slash/pede though. It bends too easily messing up the steering. Idk why some of Traxxas' hardware seems to be made like a paperclip while other stuff is tough as nails. Other than that, the rest of the Rustler/bandit/etc is pretty good considering it's intended market, if not a bit on the pricey side these days. I wish they wouldnt pay to liscence stuff like tires. I don't care if the tires say BFGoodrich on the side or not.

I gotta comment on their radios though. I always like the grips on the TQ's, but the rotary dials suck for precision. I really wish Traxxas would've included a way to lock out the Steering Trim dial on the TQi that came with my Rally. No matter what the dial always ends up getting turned by accident and I hate recentering them. I havent bought the dock connector for it yet because of it but Id really like to try it out. I don't "Need" the telemetry, I'm experienced enough and have temp guns and such. But having everything on the radio would be convenient, plus being able to set alarms is a nice feature too. I have an old iPhone that'll work and Id rather that screen than the one on my 3pmx FASST.
Maj_Overdrive is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 PM
  #140
Haddi Taha
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

CVD by design have excessive back lash and are prone to excessive ware. The greater the angle on a CVD the more it wares out the drive cup, (this is seen on most 1/8 buggies on the front gearbox to diff drive cups and the rear end drive cups)
the more wear they get, the more backlash they produce & the more backlash there is the faster it wears out.
The rate in witch they wear increases with each use. the biggest problem is they dont have universial joints at each end, so like i was saying the old style dog bone end wares out excessivle fast compared to the universial end. traxxas fixed that issue with a simple fix, why not have a universial join at each end with a sluder in the middle rather than using a dog bone as a join and a slider.
The traxxas universial slider shafts dont to this no where neer as much

I think gear diffs are becoming more common because they are more consistant and reduce heat
I see where you are coming from when you have vehicles where the chassis is jacked up very high and the hubs are very low. I haven't suffered from wear in the dog bone side of my cvd's yet. This wear is common when you have weird camber settings or use cvd's that are too long (can happen when you start mixing different aftermarket diffs and cvd's together as they are not all the exact same size)I guess just use what works for you
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 PM
  #141
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

man u should of seen the wear in the diff output cups on a TA01 I got, it had eaten a chuck at least 4mm out of the Cups. and that was a stock rally car, no funny parts or ride hight... I just had alot of run time. Another example would be the diff rear cups & the front cup from the gearbox on my 2nd hand Losi 8ight its very excessive. It was a ex nitro race buggy, so that would but extra strain on the cups. from what ive been seeing any buggy/truggy that has a off centre gearbox wears out the gearbox cups faster than vehicles that have a dead straight driveline

I know the traxxas sliders are a favourite for custom crawlers and anything with a odd lenght

Would to see a test for durability

I would say its all about run time... check out this pic of a MIP hardened cup
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 AM
  #142
Haddi Taha
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

man u should of seen the wear in the diff output cups on a TA01 I got, it had eaten a chuck at least 4mm out of the Cups. and that was a stock rally car, no funny parts or ride hight... I just had alot of run time. Another example would be the diff rear cups & the front cup from the gearbox on my 2nd hand Losi 8ight its very excessive. It was a ex nitro race buggy, so that would but extra strain on the cups. from what ive been seeing any buggy/truggy that has a off centre gearbox wears out the gearbox cups faster than vehicles that have a dead straight driveline

I know the traxxas sliders are a favourite for custom crawlers and anything with a odd lenght

Would to see a test for durability

I would say its all about run time... check out this pic of a MIP hardened cup
wow thats some serious backlash, there are these plasting clips u can put on the dog bone end which will remove all backlash, my 8.5t 3s tb03 has them and not a scratch on the diff halves.

I guess everyones experience differs and I can admit that slider do have their place in certain applications but myself I still prefer cvd's as I haven't had any issues with them yet



Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 AM
  #143
The Mad Modder
 
The Mad Modder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: eastern, IL
Posts: 3,951
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the slider shaft design. If they were thicker or made of a stronger material, they'd probably hold up fine.
The Mad Modder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM
  #144
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

The Mad Modder
I totally agree with u

Haddi Taha
Dont know, never hear of these clips?
its very common to wearout the drive cups like in that pic, honestly that is mild.
I sure some of the other guys will chim in.
Its all about run time, for each wheel rotation there is two spots where the dog bone pins slides accros the cup (Vertical position TDC & BDC)
over time this wears out the dogbone pins as well as the cups, then as it gets worse, it starts to hammer back in forth inside the drive cup.
And trust me if u hammer and rub something it wears down real fast. all it takes is about 100h or run time, maby even less for off road cars. u can put grease on there, but if dust and dirt get in the grease, it turns it into a cutting compound and have the oppsit affect.

I hear people saying well mine has not done that, I say u havent been driving it long enough
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
  #145
Ttowntoolman
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Theresa, WI
Posts: 587
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

The Mad Modder
I totally agree with u

Haddi Taha
Dont know, never hear of these clips?
its very common to wearout the drive cups like in that pic, honestly that is mild.
I sure some of the other guys will chim in.
Its all about run time, for each wheel rotation there is two spots where the dog bone pins slides accros the cup (Vertical position TDC & BDC)
over time this wears out the dogbone pins as well as the cups, then as it gets worse, it starts to hammer back in forth inside the drive cup.
And trust me if u hammer and rub something it wears down real fast. all it takes is about 100h or run time, maby even less for off road cars. u can put grease on there, but if dust and dirt get in the grease, it turns it into a cutting compound and have the oppsit affect.

I hear people saying well mine has not done that, I say u havent been driving it long enough
Yes sir, that is a REAL issue on all my oval cars. I have heard of the clips, have not used them. On my 1/8th scales I see it more on the center drive lines than on each wheel but it happens in each and every area. I see this ALOT with my Kingshead offset car than any other because of the extreme angles on the drive line, that said I have to replace the drive cups twice a season. I replace them because they have too much backlash and they jump around and bind slightly, not bacause they fail, although if I left them in the dogbones or the cups will eventually fail. Maybe the traxxas design would be an improvement in these specific areas, but not made out of plastic my friend.
Ttowntoolman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM
  #146
suburban_hooligan
 
suburban_hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA.
Posts: 985
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please


Quote:
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

man u should of seen the wear in the diff output cups on a TA01 I got, it had eaten a chuck at least 4mm out of the Cups. and that was a stock rally car, no funny parts or ride hight... I just had alot of run time. Another example would be the diff rear cups & the front cup from the gearbox on my 2nd hand Losi 8ight its very excessive. It was a ex nitro race buggy, so that would but extra strain on the cups. from what ive been seeing any buggy/truggy that has a off centre gearbox wears out the gearbox cups faster than vehicles that have a dead straight driveline

I know the traxxas sliders are a favourite for custom crawlers and anything with a odd lenght

Would to see a test for durability

I would say its all about run time... check out this pic of a MIP hardened cup
check out the pic of my almost 13 year old Team Losi XXXT outdrives/cups. all origional parts. truck is a basher and it's been used and used hard!

i checked them with a feeler gauge. .004" slop. im guessing when new they had probably about .001" - .002" slop cause i remember them being a bit of a snug fit.
iv never seen or experienced a traxxas shaft hold up that long. it's been my experience that they wear out or break every 10 to 12 months. i remember a time in the late 90's when me and my friends were bashing every day (multiple packs, 7 days a week). we would break a traxxas shaft about once a month. when the owner of the truck finally put a MIP CVD kit on it, it solved the roblem. he got to stopped wasteing money on inferior products.
suburban_hooligan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
  #147
Haddi Taha
 
Haddi Taha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,901
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-ta05if18-universal-shaft-cusion-tamiya-ta05ifs-p-25712.html?cPath=595_744_1229

there mainly for 1/10 tamiya touring car style. If I find larger I wil tell you but these have been holding up perfectly on my tb03.
Haddi Taha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM
  #148
TheKennyKiller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: QLD, , AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,747
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

Brushless = worn out drive cups. Brushed & Nitro = not so much.
TheKennyKiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM
  #149
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

yeah nar I would agree, appart from 1/8 nitro motors and those Losi XXX are not very powerfull, what are they like a .12 motor, My slash has more power than those things lol and its running wait for it..... the plastic slider shafts
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 PM
  #150
The_Shark
 
The_Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 7,163
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

actually dig the rally car, good job traxxas.
The_Shark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:09 PM.