Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

actually dig the rally car, good job traxxas.
    yay, your alive! You disappeared for a bit.

I don't think speed has anything to do with the drive cups wearing out, Its the explosive acceleration from brushless motors, but many drive cups can handle it without any clips or anything like that (assuming the chassis isn't to high compared to the hubs).
    Maybe the slash has sliders because of the angle of the shafts will cause dog bone ends to wear out fast.

The problem with testing for whats better is that we all have different circumstances such as high grip, low grip, the tires used, motor, battery, driving style, rust and all the other factors which can accelerate wear. Nothing beats 1st hand experience

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Brushless = worn out drive cups. Brushed & Nitro = not so much.
    iv herd people say that, but iv never personally seen any evidence to support it.
    all my friends with SC10's have never had an issue with worn or broken drive cups. and we aren't takling about stock RTR's. 2 of the homies are rocking tekin 8.5's. i think the slow guys are running tekin 10.5's right now.
    ill have to check the ones on the homies B44. iv never bothered to look.
    3 years of use and the TC4's never had a problem.
    the homies losi 8ight-E 2.0 has un-noticeable wear (granted it is a race only buggy and is only about 4 months old)

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

yeah nar I would agree, appart from 1/8 nitro motors and those Losi XXX are not very powerfull, what are they like a .12 motor, My slash has more power than those things lol and its running wait for it..... the plastic slider shafts
    iv actually broken those plasic shafts on a slash. the truck was a few months old and belonged to a friend. i was driving it at the track and came out of a tight corner, hammered the throttle and the ujoint let go. twisted the pin right out of it.
    what's the lame excuse for that? it was the brushed model converted to brushless?

broke one on a revo casing a jump to. that was interesting.
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

iv herd people say that, but iv never personally seen any evidence to support it.Β*
    all my friends with SC10's have never had an issue with worn or broken drive cups. Β*and we aren't takling about stock RTR's. Β*2 of the homies are rocking tekin 8.5's. Β*i think the slow guys are running tekin 10.5's right now.
    ill have to check the ones on the homies B44. Β*iv never bothered to look.
    the homies losi 8ight-E 2.0 has un-noticeable wear (granted it is a race only buggy and is only about 4 months old)

yeah nar I would agree, appart from 1/8 nitro motors and those Losi XXX are not very powerfull, what are they like a .12 motor, My slash has more power than those things lol and its running wait for it..... the plastic slider shafts
    iv actually broken those plasic shafts on a slash. Β*the truck was a few months old and belonged to a friend. Β*i was driving it at the track and came out of a tight corner, hammered the throttle and the ujoint let go. Β*twisted the pin right out of it.
    what's the lame excuse for that? Β*it was the brushed model converted to brushless?

broke one on a revo casing a jump to. Β*that was interesting.
    What's ur problem, don't be a tool and turn this into a flame war.

So u dident actually break the slider, u just poped out the stock plastic joint? Wow for u.
    Most people run the upgrade traxxas ones on brushless combos, maby u missed that memo.
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maby I could understand ur point more, if u had broken more than one or even owned one.

I seem to have a strong opinion on traxxas, I just want to know why and what made u think like this?... 2 broken shafts? And now u hate traxxas?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iv herd people say that, but iv never personally seen any evidence to support it.Β*
    all my friends with SC10's have never had an issue with worn or broken drive cups. Β*and we aren't takling about stock RTR's. Β*2 of the homies are rocking tekin 8.5's. Β*i think the slow guys are running tekin 10.5's right now.
    ill have to check the ones on the homies B44. Β*iv never bothered to look.

iv actually broken those plasic shafts on a slash. Β*the truck was a few months old and belonged to a friend. Β*i was driving it at the track and came out of a tight corner, hammered the throttle and the ujoint let go. Β*twisted the pin right out of it.
    what's the lame excuse for that? Β*it was the brushed model converted to brushless?

broke one on a revo casing a jump to. Β*that was interesting.
    Has anyone ever noticed that people's friends cars all ways prove there statements right, but it's never there's...... BS meter it beeping.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iv herd people say that, but iv never personally seen any evidence to support it.
    all my friends with SC10's have never had an issue with worn or broken drive cups. and we aren't takling about stock RTR's. 2 of the homies are rocking tekin 8.5's. i think the slow guys are running tekin 10.5's right now.

iv actually broken those plasic shafts on a slash. the truck was a few months old and belonged to a friend. i was driving it at the track and came out of a tight corner, hammered the throttle and the ujoint let go. twisted the pin right out of it.
    what's the lame excuse for that? it was the brushed model converted to brushless?

So u dident actually break the slider, u just poped out the stock plastic joint? Wow for u.
    Most people run the upgrade traxxas ones on brushless combos, maby u missed that memo.
    no it broke the u-joint. spun the pin out, ripped the plastic holes open.
    with the price of a damn traxxas car they should come with the upgraded aluminum part. giving you the cheap failer prone plastic part and making you buy the aluminum hop up part from them is just another way to screw there customers.
    iv got the same beef wtih HPI and there drive cups. they are prone to chipping and cracking. HPI makes hardened units. stop making the cheap ones, put the hardened ones on and stop screwing the customers.
    you have no idea how bad that type of thing pisses me off.

↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it's just one of those things, Tamiya have been doing that for years. Most Rc cars are like that, for example the losi light weight cups are said to be stronger.

I do agree tho some cars need these upgrades and should be included.

Up selling is massive in the automotive section, and by the looks Rc cars ate he same. I use to hate pulling perfectly good Acessories from cars that had be traded in. Seriously everything came out from alarm systems to floor mats, just so the sales men can up sell on them to get a bonus.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im not a huge fan of the plastic sliders, but theyre not as bad as they seem at times. Of course it would be great if they lasted as long as a cvd though. I've never had a plastic slider fail, but they have developed backlash due to the u-joint holes becoming oval. I replaced mine when this became excessive and before they failed. But to show their versatility and toughness take a look at my Baja 5T bodied stretched chassis ERevo, 6s powered. That's 3 shafts put together, it wobbled and hit the chassis at 35mph and up but wouldn't break.

And Brushless does seem to wear drive cups faster than nitro, all things being equal. I've converted a bunch of different buggies, truggies and MT's where the drive cups were slop free after gallons of use only to have them needing replacement after a dozen or so runs as brushless.
    Punch Control? I don't need no stinking Punch Control!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive

Im not a huge fan of the plastic sliders, but theyre not as bad as they seem at times. Of course it would be great if they lasted as long as a cvd though. I've never had a plastic slider fail, but they have developed backlash due to the u-joint holes becoming oval. I replaced mine when this became excessive and before they failed. But to show their versatility and toughness take a look at my Baja 5T bodied stretched chassis ERevo, 6s powered. That's 3 shafts put together, it wobbled and hit the chassis at 35mph and up but wouldn't break.

And Brushless does seem to wear drive cups faster than nitro, all things being equal. I've converted a bunch of different buggies, truggies and MT's where the drive cups were slop free after gallons of use only to have them needing replacement after a dozen or so runs as brushless.
    Nice stretched Revo. I think that 3 in 1 shaft you have proves that the sliders can handle some abuse and like you said the versatility of them. I can't believe people are getting so hung up on a shaft that while not perfect, isn't really that bad at all. Also for Revo owners there are the Summit shafts which are a bit stronger if anyone is having problems with the stockers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I'm starting to get a bigger picture on what people think.

From what im seeing The main 4 conserns are.

1 price
    2 outdated 2wd platform
    3 high centre of gravity chassis
    4 plastic slider shafts

What are the critics thoughts on those 4 points? Why are they are a problem and why are they like that?

1 price, I can only assume that traxxas match there prices to match HPI, and they jack up the price because there is a high demand for there products and customer support.

2 2wd platform, can't say much here. As good as they can be, they are not really that good either. Hence the massive proline and RPM support parts just to keep it tough

3 high COG, I think they did this to cut down on driving resistance when running in grass, and as a marketing point. I don't think they were ment to go head to head with racing equivalents

4 slider shafts, I think they are a great idea, but people are braking them, why don't the slash and rustlers come stock with the jato 3.3 sliders? Best traxxas OEM part mod I've seen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. And your mileage will vary of course. While I wouldn't say I'm easy on my rigs, I do know how to roll on the throttle and not just nail it into drivetrain killing backflips. And like anything else they need to be replaced when they wear. I do understand the sentiment, but it always sucks when something breaks, especially something where an upgrade is available direct from the company that made it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1. Price. Matching HPI might be part of it. Paying for liscencing stupid tires, bodies, and advertising probably plays a bigger role. Im sure most here don't see the need for their advertising, but 90% of the general public thinks Toys R Us and Radio Shack are the only places to get Rc cars. Customer support does cost a bit, but the warranty side is probably where they lose more. I've heard of them replacing engines and things they shouldn't have just to keep the customer happy. That can really cost a company, especially when the target is the entry level market. The problem is the vehicles are desirable, but they aren't the value they should be compared to the competition.

2. 2wd platform: I don't really care so I'm out on this one! Lol

3. High cg: A perfect example is both Slash's. The higher in the center chassis increases ground clearance letting it tackle rougher terrain easier. There will also be less drag in taller grass than a flat chassis. I don't really disagree with this compromise, they are an entry level company after all. If it weren't for the perfect combination of looks, reasonable durability and price for a spec/stock class, the Slash 2wd would never have been considered a race truck to begin with. I was kinda dissapointed the 4x4 wasn't a lcg design, but they knew the aftermarket would fill in for the real racers while the bashers would have more fun at construction sites with their chassis. You can say they shouldve built both, but that would create more confusion than the 3 versions of the 4x4 they have now. The Maxx line is an MT and kinda exempt from this. The Revo is as about as lcg as it can get except for the engine and MT class rules dictated its height.

4. Sliders: I'll agree with you about not putting their strongest shafts on all their vehicles. It probably saves them a few bucks, but why not use the stronger Summit/Jato stuff where they'll fit making a more durable vehicle and giving the sliders a better reputation. I'll still take the sliders over some of the really thin dog bones that are out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone ever noticed that people's friends cars all ways prove there statements right, but it's never there's...... BS meter it beeping.

cause 9 out of 10 times it's BS.
    in my case ill tell you straight up the only traxxas product iv owned was a used 20 turn stinger motor (and maybe the ESC i don't remember) someone gave me for doing a motor swap on there rustler.
    butthe only vehicles traxxas has made in the past 15 years that i haven't personally driven/worked on/tuned are the slayer, slash 4x4, stampede 4x4, the 1/16 scale stuff, i think the newest e-maxx (last one of those i messed with had 2 brushed motos in it), and the rally car.

here's the cliff notes' to my RC history. my first hands on introduction to hobby grade RC was in about 1991/1992 via an RC10T that yes you guessed it, belonged to a friend. from 1993 to 1995 my cousin raced 1/10 electric off road, so i hung around at the track a lot. when i was finally able to afford it, i bought my own car and i really got into it heavy in 1996/1997. i quickly became neighborhood mechanic and the reason every kid in the neighborhood wanted or had an RC car. that lasted until about 2003 when the whole neighborhood sceen fell apart. i had a few friends still racing, but i wasn't paying attention to RC, it wasn't fun anymore. in about 2007 some of those friends who had dropped out started getting back into it and buying new cars. that got me going and i fell back into the swing of things in about 2008. i ended up becoming the go to guy for mechanic and tuning work again. there isn't much in land RC i havnen't been apart of in one way or another.

BS meter rule of thumb:
    when somebody has 20 yearsexperience, they've no doubt been around the block a few times. odds are, what they speak isgospel learned the hard way.
    when somebody has 2 years experience, yeah, the BS meter should explode
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

no it broke the u-joint. spun the pin out, ripped the plastic holes open.
    with the price of a damn traxxas car they should come with the upgraded aluminum part. giving you the cheap failer prone plastic part and making you buy the aluminum hop up part from them is just another way to screw there customers.
    iv got the same beef wtih HPI and there drive cups. they are prone to chipping and cracking. HPI makes hardened units. stop making the cheap ones, put the hardened ones on and stop screwing the customers.
    you have no idea how bad that type of thing pisses me off.

I agree, I can't stand it when a company makes a product that has an issue but instead they sell the fix seperately instead of just including them in the first place. It reminds me how my tamiya tb03 had plastic diff halves that crack if you over tighten them a bit. They broke on my 1st run so I had to upgrade both front and rear diff halves for $50 right away and wait another week to get to run my car which I already waited a week to arrive in the mail.

I'd rather they up the price to pay for the additional upgrades instead of tricking customers to think its for example $300 but they MUST put $50 more afterwards for the rc to be useable.

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My bad I just assumed that u were younger? LIke in ur teens...?
    There a lot of stories about "friends cars" ya got to admit that right?
    Sorry man.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ironic how life deals you cards........I broke a dogbone on my Savage yesterday, and a CVD on my associated GT. Had a drive pin back out on the GT and it locked up the wheel @about 50 mph, "Snap". Savage was from landing on throttle trying to save it from lawn dart landing ended up touching down on one front wheel. "snap" rear wheel drive only. Two strong pieces broken like twigs......these are the kinds of experiances that make me cringe when I see plastic in the same spots on Traxas models. Maybe if they were plastic they would have just flexed and still hung in there? Not likely......but maybe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There a lot of stories about "friends cars" ya got to admit that right?
    Sorry man.
    But logically, if you have 10 friends who are into rc then 90% of the cars you will have had experience will be 'my friends' i certainly know alot of people who race at my local club, and i have encountered hundreds of different rc's over the last 5 years.

So glad to have a savage again. Time to make it handle less like a savage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: djyjrlz

But logically, if you have 10 friends who are into rc then 90% of the cars you will have had experience will be 'my friends' i certainly know alot of people who race at my local club, and i have encountered hundreds of different rc's over the last 5 years.

that's true. it's all about exposure.
    racers are typically more versed on cars and products because of that. lots of first hand word of mouth experience and ideas get passed around. at a track you can physically see it, maybe touch it, and talk to the owner about it and maybe once in a blue moon the owner will let you try it out.
    bashers aren't exposed to as much. it's like them and 4 friends. and they all go to the smartest guy for help and buy ruffly the same cars and electronics. it's very limiting.
    you've no doubt learned more in 5 years of going to a track than the typical basher will learn 10 years just because of how limited there exposure is.
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: djyjrlz

There a lot of stories about ''friends cars'' ya got to admit that right?
    Sorry man.
    But logically, if you have 10 friends who are into rc then 90% of the cars you will have had experience will be 'my friends' i certainly know alot of people who race at my local club, and i have encountered hundreds of different rc's over the last 5 years.Β*

What type of relationships do u have with ur friends cars? To be honest I don't know much about my friends cars, I can tell u what I've replaced on them and the general gist of there setup, thats it, nothing like the exposure from my cars. I mean it's not like I sit down and have a good look at there car? Do u?

There are so many people on forums that talk crap about there friends experiences, in my experience most are unfounded BS.
    So u have to excuse me when I can be a little skeptical.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BS meter rule of thumb:
    when somebody has 20 yearsΒ*experience, they've no doubt been around the block a few times. Β*odds are, what they speak isΒ*gospel learned the hard way.
    I don't fully agree with that, if you don't know a thing or two after 2 years then you mustn't have been very involved in the hobby, they're only RC cars after all, and after 20 years you're probably a little bit set in your ways and scared of change.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey that's a good point, things have changed so much over the last 20 years, and its only the last 7 years that brushless combos have been affordable,
    and u right it's just a Rc car.... Boys toy

Hey we can't talk, I mean how pathetic is this thread when u think about, yeah let's go online, onto a RC car forum and talk about our feelings about a particular manufacture, Jesus, we may as well be in a sewing circle

I would rather be putting my time into helping people than defending my comments

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey that's a good point, things have changed so much over the last 20 years, and its only the last 7 years that brushless combos have been affordable,

Hey we can't talk, I mean how pathetic is this thread when u think about, yeah let's go online, onto a RC car forum and talk about our feelings about a particular manufacture, Jesus, we may as well be in a sewing circle

I would rather be putting my time into helping people than defending my comments
    Nail on the head. Some of those sewing circles can get pretty heated and cruel, I worked at a retirement village when I was a teenager so I've seen them in action, the old ladies sure do enjoy themselves though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes except for traxxas's 2wd line up those are virtually unchanged outside chassis colors, and metal gears
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BS meter rule of thumb:
    when somebody has 20 yearsexperience, they've no doubt been around the block a few times. odds are, what they speak isgospel learned the hard way.
    I don't fully agree with that, if you don't know a thing or two after 2 years then you mustn't have been very involved in the hobby, they're only RC cars after all, and after 20 years you're probably a little bit set in your ways and scared of change.
    its general rule of thumb for fourms, it's not carved in real world stone.
    somebody who races for 2 years is going to have a greater knowledge than somebody who just bashes for 2 years.
    2 years bashing is like a high school diploma. all you learn is the basics.
    2 years racing is like a college degree. you aquire the knowledge that makes you an indepth tuner with real life experience with a vast amount of vehicles, parts, sets ups and conditions.
    20 years bashing by yourself and your only going to know what you've run.
    20 years bashing in a large group of friends and you're going to aquireknowledge about manufactures, cars and parts some people don't even know exist.
    in the real world it's all aboutexperience, how many different things you're exposed to and how familiar you make yourself with them.

and yes i am kind of set in my ways. im an old school kit builder, i hate RTR's, hell i hate it when a manufacture pre builds/pre glues/pre does anything for me. i don't jump from fad to fad, i still rather have a stadium truck than a short course truck. not a fan of brushless motors and still don't own any (mainly because i like building and tuning electric motors).i haven't bought any lipo's yet (i have used them, i just don't own any yet). iabsolutely hate technology tie-in's, i don't want to have to plug the phone i don't have into my radio, i don't want to have to tune my ESC with a damn computer. its like the 1:1 car world, you have those old school guys who tune hot rods with wrenchs and screwdrivers. and you have the modern day tuners who tune econobox's with computers. im a hot rodder. but dammit the technology is trickling down so if i want to keep doing it im going to have to use it. there are a few things ill just never do, but im not afraid of change and im not really fighting change, im just not happy about having to change.

↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

yes except for traxxas's 2wd line up those are virtually unchanged outside chassis colors, and metal gears
    Lol, hey maby traxxas should call them a vintage re release like Tamiya do.

Hey I've got a question, if u build a slash from the proline chassis, gearbox, shocks, pro track suspension kit, and bell crank.
    What would it be? Only thing traxxas would be the sliders and bumpers

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast