Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas Critics opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Ttowntoolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Critics opinion please

What could Traxxas do to change there models that would make you more interested in them? Opinions welcome.

I dont own one single model of theirs and it is because of the plastic drive axels and the grey injection molded plastics. That is it in a nutshell for me. They seem to me to be the missing link between toys and hobby grade and it is the perception of poor quality because of the two things I listed.

I do own a VXL brushless system and have beat the living shizz out of it and it works great yet.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:34 AM
TornadoGuy

Default RE: Traxxas Critics opinion please

To start off with, I want to say I am not a Traxxas hater. There vehicles are tough, and I have to say, mine takes a lot of beating with few scratches to show for it. What I do think Traxxas should do is make some different chassis designs. It seems a lot of their models are based off of the same chassis, with different bodies, wheels, and other small differences. Compare the bandit and Rustler chassis and you will see many similarities. Don't get me wrong now, all the cars and trucks aren't the same, they do have models that are different and unique.

I just feel they need something totally new and different, something they don't have anything similar to. The funny car looked appealing at first glance, but its not a car you have fun driving around a parking lot in. People get bored when they can only go in straight lines.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 AM
OvalRacer99

Though I don't care for what Traxxas offers, I don't think of myself as a hater. The biggest thing for me is that I feel what Traxxas offers is aimed at the bashing crowd and I am a racer.
It would take to much time, cash and effort to get a Traxxas up to spec to be a competitive racing platform, it has been done and with good results, but it's not for me.
Traxxas has some good stuff and a great variety but for me, I want a race ready ride. So what could Traxxas do to make me more interested, it's simple, offer a race ready kit.

All I own and race is Team Associated because I feel they offer the best racing vehicles and I can go into almost any hobby shop and get parts.

That is my opinion and some may not agree!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to 2nd the plastic slider shaft.

They are fine I guess for the brushed models, but have no place on their brushless stuff.

But traxxas dont care, just more spare parts they can sell.

The worst is on the emaxx. They are a pain to replace, and not cheap! And dogbone upgrades are very pricey. But thats what the truck needs, the plastic ones will twist and snap even with the brushed motors.

Many complain of how the reuse parts on "new" models. While I would like to see some completely new model, I understand why they do what they do. By resusing parts on new models, they make it easier to get parts (as hobby stores already stock %90 of the parts) and they keep cost down a bit.

It has been mentioned that they dont cater to racers. I dont see that changing. They have the market for newbs and bashers. The day they make some stuff that is in kit form and is more race oriented I will see a pig fly

Its easy to bash a company, but in this hobby if you dont like a company because of "A" you can find a company that does what you want. I own redcat models because they offer the cheapest RTR brushless models. Ive owned a few rustler vxl's because with RPM upgrades they are they toughest high speed basher out there. I have an ECX torment because its the best low cost SCT on the market.

It would be nice if the companies listened to us little guys. But I dont see traxxas changing their ways for us....not while their sales are high.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they're perfectly fine the way they are. Prices are a little high, but the quality and support is there. They make great cars for beginners, as well as great cars for those of us who have been in the hobby a long time. They appeal to more than one demographic.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:43 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

1)lower cost
2)better quality plastic
3)less plastic- whats with the plastic chassis on the stampede, rustler, bandit and slash trucks? fr 1/16 plastic is OK but a 1/10 needs an aluminum chassis.
4)More realistic speed claims
5) Vehicals that don't need $500 worth of upgrades to be durable

I don't consider my self a hater, but I'm not a fan either. I feel they market their stuff to the more gulible newbie of the hobby. Most people who really get into it will move beyond what Traxxas has to offer. Obviously they have a good business model that works but they will recieve alot of flack for those kinds of practices.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: yakfish

1)lower cost
2)better quality plastic
3)less plastic- whats with the plastic chassis on the stampede, rustler, bandit and slash trucks? fr 1/16 plastic is OK but a 1/10 needs an aluminum chassis.
4)More realistic speed claims
5) Vehicals that don't need $500 worth of upgrades to be durable
i dont see anything wrong with plastic on the 1/10s. for the emaxx/summit maybe. I cant recall ever breaking a rustler/pede or bandit chassis ever.

the brushed 1/10s are overgeared from the factory...in order to for them to have their lofty speed claims. IMO thats why titan 550's burn up so often.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:51 AM
yakfish

I once had a rustler chassis split completley in half on a hit that wasn't anything really significant. that was the last was just one of many poor experiences I have had with traxxas vehicals. I have no plans to purchase another from them.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 gripes
#1 they don't bother with making the sliders stand up to the stress of BL instead we have to buy expensive alternatives like the MIP sliders for $50 a pair
#2 they don't bother fixing issues that have been known on their 2wd models that have been known about for years. Instead they slap a new body on, and call it a new vehicle without repairing the few flaws that they could easily fix like the king pin on the front end of the pede like shown in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Ld_...ailpage#t=317s which is an issue seeing they are marketed at people who are new and will crash them like shown
#3 their price for the same old RTR's. Seeing they are saving on manufacturing by reusing parts, and design's for their new vehicles the prices should come down some where its completely opposite most the prices went up on the 2wd's by $55 compared to 2-3 years ago with nothing new added. Still using the xl-5, still using the same tired brushed am transmitter, and the same exact parts.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Traxxas are over priced
2. They like toy grade
3. You can't race with them
4. Too many parts that need to be replaced to be somewhat durable
5. They gather a crowd of people who go around boasting about how good their sub-par RC is, only some people are like this
6. They don't fix old problems
7. I can't stand reading their descriptions on their website
8. They are in the price range of more durable and race-able stuff
9.They don't go the speed they say on the box unless you over gear them
10. They offer no kits for people who know that they will end up upgrading the motor/esc/servo and then use their own transmitter/receiver.
11. I don't like the VXL system
12. No new chassis designs

What they should do if they want business from me 
1. Chassis that are ready out of the box to handle a good bashing session again and again
2. Chassis that are somewhat raceable and follow the generic design of its class. (No motors high up for example)
3. Keep their prices closer to their competitors
4. Offer Rolling chassis for those who have electronics or want to upgrade them
5. No funky designs like those slider shafts

As you probably gathered by now, Traxxas is not a company aimed at people like me. 
Old 10-27-2012, 04:00 PM
The Mad Modder

I would say"to offer their vehicles as kits", but you and I know that isn't going to happen. IMO, they played a large role in making the assembly kit an endangered species. That's one of the main reasons I don't like them. That and their uncompetitive pricing on outdated vehicles.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Add one for the plastic slider shafts. The ones on my Emaxx and Slash 4x4 were irritating. I have Steel dogbones on my Stampede 4x4 and it's made a world of difference.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

Add one for the plastic slider shafts. The ones on my Emaxx and Slash 4x4 were irritating. I have Steel dogbones on my Stampede 4x4 and it's made a world of difference.
what did you use to do that?
cause its one of the few parts I hate on the pede 4X4 (yes the pede 4X4 is pretty decent with a few mods)
I find it kinda goofy they used a aluminum tube with steel for the center drive chain and plastic on the driveshafts for the wheels
Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Offer roller version of some of their models; price more competitively, add ball bearings to their 2WD trucks!

I just bought a 2WD Stampede with the Velineon from Craigslist and am glad I found that truck.  I intend to use it strictly for bashing and it is a great vehicle for that.  There are some inherent weak points but I don't think they'll be a problem for me.  Most of Traxxas' products don't appeal to me other than the Stampede and the Summit.

I think they offer a great product for their intended buyer, however, they shouldn't label their boxes with "Ready to Race" since their vehicles are usually out classed in an organized race.  Proline even saw that customer's were buying Slash's and using them to race.  Then the owner's realized that they were being out-done by racing vehicles; so Proline stepped in and now offers an entire racing chassis "upgrade." I use the upgrade term loosely because once you're all done there's hardly anything left on it that's made by Traxxas.  In fact, you can completely build a "Proline Slash" from the ground up and not use a single Traxxas component.  Why didn't Traxxas offer those products instead?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

what did you use to do that?
cause its one of the few parts I hate on the pede 4X4 (yes the pede 4X4 is pretty decent with a few mods)
I find it kinda goofy they used a aluminum tube with steel for the center drive chain and plastic on the driveshafts for the wheels
I bought them from an LHS near me but I think these are them:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FegWMgodjm4ABA

Theyfit really well and really do seem to help with the "slop" that my previous Stampedes were prone to.

1000TH POST
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

they rank lower than toilet paper in my book. but if they want my respect there's a few things they can do.
drop the rustler and bandit. come out with a new, up to date, out of the box club race worthy but still basher friendly platform. and then offer a kit version.
drop the nitro sport and nitro rustler. make 1 new nitro stadium truck. and maybe make a nitro short course version. offer a kit version.

drop the slash and come out with a slash 2 based on the new buggy/stadium truck. and offer a kit.
drop the slash 4x4 and make a slash 4x4 2 with low CG chassis. needs to be club racer material out of the box and still basher friendly. offer a kit version.
drop the 4tec, nitro 4tec and new rally car. come out with a new 1/10 scale TC that's good for parking lot racing and club racing. then make a rally car out of that. offer a kit version.
drop the 2wd stampede. focus on the stampede 4x4. offer a kit version.
drop the maxx trucks. they've sucked royal sense day 1 and still do. worst monster truck on the market.
drop the current revo. come out with a revo 2 that has standard suspension. off a kit version.
stop rebadging the same chassis over and over and over.

make a competition level 1/8 buggy and truggy (that's actually something i hear people say they want all the damn time) then make a slayer 2 off of it. offer a kit version.
drop the summit, it's a stupid truck. come out with a normal solid axle crawler/trail truck. offer a kit version.
drop the xo-1 and make an xo-2 in standard 1/8 scale. and leave the stupid telemetry out of it.
stop buying exclusivity sponsorship contracts and let other manufactures sponsor and advertise in 1:1 racing.
stop flat out lying in there marketing.
stop with the super fast speed BS. a stadium truck or monster truck doesn't need to go 60. it's just stupid. if the owner wants his truck to go that fast he can modify it himself.
stop with the stupid gimmicks (telemetry, etc.)
ditch the stupid telescoping driveshafts in favor of a stronger, less wear prone standard universal shafts or CVD's.
ditch the grey plastic. ether go black or go white so i can dye it whatever color i want.
stop letting the guy with the price gun smoke crack on the job. the current e-revo is about $250 overpriced. the rustler is about $100 overpriced.
put a little precision in there vehicles. sloppy fitment is for toy grade and cheap knockoff's.
stop breeding idiot big mouthed fanboys.
back in the late 80's and early 90's they made race worthy vehicles that were right out of the box of capable of running with and beating the AE's, team losi's, kyosho's, yokomo's. etc. they need to become "the team to watch" again.
or hell if they just want to be lazy they could always admit they are stupid, wrong and have been wrecking RC sense about 1994 and just close there doors and go out of business.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

I'm siding with most of Hooligan's proposals.

Why are the Slash chassis' shaped like Halibuts? Is there any practical reason for it to be so over-sized?

Iagree with the Nitro Sport, Rustler, Stampede, 4-Tec; they're turds and need to go.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

they rank lower than toilet paper in my book. but if they want my respect there's a few things they can do.
drop the rustler and bandit. come out with a new, up to date, out of the box club race worthy but still basher friendly platform. and then offer a kit version.
drop the nitro sport and nitro rustler. make 1 new nitro stadium truck. and maybe make a nitro short course version. offer a kit version.

drop the slash and come out with a slash 2 based on the new buggy/stadium truck. and offer a kit.
drop the slash 4x4 and make a slash 4x4 2 with low CG chassis. needs to be club racer material out of the box and still basher friendly. offer a kit version.
drop the 4tec, nitro 4tec and new rally car. come out with a new 1/10 scale TC that's good for parking lot racing and club racing. then make a rally car out of that. offer a kit version.
drop the 2wd stampede. focus on the stampede 4x4. offer a kit version.
drop the maxx trucks. they've sucked royal sense day 1 and still do. worst monster truck on the market.
drop the current revo. come out with a revo 2 that has standard suspension. off a kit version.
stop rebadging the same chassis over and over and over.

make a competition level 1/8 buggy and truggy (that's actually something i hear people say they want all the damn time) then make a slayer 2 off of it. offer a kit version.
drop the summit, it's a stupid truck. come out with a normal solid axle crawler/trail truck. offer a kit version.
drop the xo-1 and make an xo-2 in standard 1/8 scale. and leave the stupid telemetry out of it.
stop buying exclusivity sponsorship contracts and let other manufactures sponsor and advertise in 1:1 racing.
stop flat out lying in there marketing.
stop with the super fast speed BS. a stadium truck or monster truck doesn't need to go 60. it's just stupid. if the owner wants his truck to go that fast he can modify it himself.
stop with the stupid gimmicks (telemetry, etc.)
ditch the stupid telescoping driveshafts in favor of a stronger, less wear prone standard universal shafts or CVD's.
ditch the grey plastic. ether go black or go white so i can dye it whatever color i want.
stop letting the guy with the price gun smoke crack on the job. the current e-revo is about $250 overpriced. the rustler is about $100 overpriced.
put a little precision in there vehicles. sloppy fitment is for toy grade and cheap knockoff's.
stop breeding idiot big mouthed fanboys.
back in the late 80's and early 90's they made race worthy vehicles that were right out of the box of capable of running with and beating the AE's, team losi's, kyosho's, yokomo's. etc. they need to become ''the team to watch'' again.
or hell if they just want to be lazy they could always admit they are stupid, wrong and have been wrecking RC sense about 1994 and just close there doors and go out of business.

I agree with about 80% of what you said. The deffinently need to revamp nearly every model in their line up with higher quality materials and offer kit versions. But do you have any idea how much money that would cost to do? You have to remember they are a company with ONLY ONE GOAL in mind: To make a profit. And there is NOTHING wrong with that in and of itself. It all boils down to economics. Traxxas is making a pile of money. If what they are doing didn't work they wouldn't have stuck with it for so long.From a business point of view they are in excellent standing and frankly is the business model ain't broke, don't fix it! There is obviously a very large market segment they are catering to and they are going to continue to follow this current path as long as it is profitable. When it comes to newbies, gimmicks sell cars. Telemitry is "cool" and so is a 60+MPH monster truck. How many of these newbies are going to strap an GPS on their car to see if it actually goes 60MPH? all they are going to do is tell their friends, "I have a rc truck that will do 60!" then their friends are going to want to go out and buy one too. as long as their model continue to be in demand by someone they will contunue to sell then u till the market depands something else.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the traxxas line up and by the looks, the majority of consumers agree.

Revo suspension rocks, IMO it's one I the best suspensions out there??? The revo handles great compared to the t maxx.
Look how well it works on the 1/16 cars

I've owned a few brushless traxxas trucks, cant say I've had any problems with the plastic drive shafts. I've had more problems with Tamiya dog bones and diff cups

I think traxxas should keep doing what they are doing but maby introduce a new sub company that speicalizes in more race bread vehicles.

I was at my local track today, there were some very fast slash's there, even faster than the 1/10 stadium trucks....
Just because there are better cars out there, it does not mean they suck.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM
phmaximus

I don't see how this thread can be of any use, it's not like the traxxas CEO will ever read it.
It's going to be full of peoples opinions, no facts.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I don't see how this thread can be of any use, it's not like the traxxas CEO will ever read it.
So true...and kind of sad[]
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 PM
racingfan48

Honesty, I had the t max back when it was the 2.5 nitro motor and absolutely hated it. Tuning was a joke. Motor fried itself even though it was rich running on its break in tanks!! I then got the 4tec with the 3.3 an that was a nightmare to tune as well. Then I got the gt and gt2 from Kyosho and absolutely love them. Best cars I've had and sold the t max and got a savage xl and aside from having a carb air leak the truck is a monster. For traxxas to gain my respect they should first hold up to their engine warranty since the motor was a joke and second make their chassis different. The 4tec car is a joke. You have to almost strip it down bare to take the motor off and making it belt driven was even more of a reason to laugh at it. I don't know what I was thinking when I got that car. I don't race any of mine I just enjoy tinkering with them and bashing the truck around. Then only electric experience I have with them is an old bandit I had. That car was good. Traxxas market is driven towards people that are just starting or for people that just want an rc, my opinion, if your looking for a nitro they are your worst enemy. Go to Kyosho or hpi or someone else. Electric though from my little experience there good, If your just starting out. That's just my opinion, I'm not trying to stir anyone up about anything.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the traxxas line up and by the looks, the majority of consumers agree.
The majority of consumers do not "agree". They don't know any better. They buy what's marketed at them, believe the advertised performance numbers, believe what the LHS tells them(based on what they want to sell them), etc.. Traxxas survives by luring newbs into the hobby with their flashy marketing which gets the newbs to buy overpriced RTR's that need lots of hopups.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29 AM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

I own several models, 1/8 scale basher/speed trucks, 1/8 scale buggies/truggies, crawlers, scalers and one AE team sc. Built from kits and rtr's. I'm not brand biased except I am partial to Axial because they built kits that no one else does, but they have their short comings as well. I do a lot of research before buying (mostly from forums) and have found both good and bad models from every company out there. I like Kyosho a lot, but I hate how they discontinue their models randomly and almost instantly and you have to use a screw driver to work on most of them. Thunder Tiger is great, but they look at you like a deer in the headlights when you ask for parts at the LHS.
I believe Traxxas has a few good models, I own two summit's one bone stock and one brushless. In its stock form it does everything advertised, its just not fast, past that no gripes here. I plan on buying a Stampede 4x4 for the soul purpose of bashing it in conditions I wouldn't run my higher end models in. I plan on upgrading the driveshafts right out of the box. past that I will work on it as it breaks. I had an Emaxx, had being the key word. I did not like it at all. The neighbor kid has a rustler and he beats the snot out of it and it breaks once in a while from him crashing it into something or from not doing anything to it other than beat the snot out of it. Its ok for a kids rc, not going to win any races, but takes a good amount of abuse.
I do agree that they are over priced and should have steel drive lines and outdrives out of the box, but on the same note Axial should have steel center drives instead of plastic as well. Its all give and take in my opinion, and Traxxas is just another option. I think serious racers are better of with high end race kits, but I'm just an old guy who likes to build, trade and play with models.
Best regards.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: yakfish

So true...and kind of sad[]
lol its very sad, Its like they love to hate traxxas, and love talking about it... its like a strange obession
these stupid topics come up every now and againe. For what. to here stories that so and so's car did this and so did his mates one, I cant tune a nitro motor and fried it, but I will blame traxxas oh and my favourite, since buying brand X I havent had any problems.

Its like they have all these problems with there first car (mainly nitro) then 3 or so years later they dont have any problems with there next car.
it makes me think maby there problems were there learning curve.

Come on guys pull ur heads in, no good will come from this topic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.