Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Which member's advice do you respect?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Which member's advice do you respect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which member's advice do you respect?

One of the great things about forums like these is that we have experts (and Imean TRUE professionals) who take the time to assist.

I'm often amazed at some of the things people on here achieve. Not all are as vocal or as apt to help as others....BUT, I'm curious as to the members on here whom have helped you the most.

In my humle list:

1. Proanti. He seems to know more about nitro buggies than I will ever hope to know. He also turned me on to the Losi 810, which is still to this day my favorite vehicle!

2. TheHuntingTerminator: Way back in my newbie days (with an Exceed Forza), I was about to "upgrade" to a RedCat. He tactfifully explained how it is the same OEM, and that turned me on to the Hyper 7-the single bit of advice that most changed my experience within "the hobby" and I am grateful for that.

3. Foxy: Okay, he's the moderator, blah, blah. However, he's writes about things which cause me to still say to myself "will I ever have that sort of knowledge?" I also trust his opinion most on the classic "which car should I get?" He is good at reading between the lines and understanding what folks really should get (e.g, The XRay NT1 2012 is still on my Xmas list). ;-)

4. HerrSavage: This is my nitro brother.For the longest time I thought "Am Ithe only nitro-head whohas no interest in Electric?", and he seems to share the same passion I do with the greatness that is known as nitro rc vehicles! Like my Seinfeld imbroglio - you either get it, or you don't. ;-) He also has the best sig line, IMO.

5. Dads Like RC too: My favorite handle on here, as I can relate. He is the KING of helping the majority of the newbies in the RedCat/Exceed class, and I imagine more than anyone he has KEPT people in "the hobby", which is as important as anything we can do.

6.SlayerDude: Another guy who is a true nitro-head. He's ALWAYS one of the first to jump in and assist with nitro engine problems, which is admirable due to all the "why won't my engine start" threads we get.

7. Supertib: A bit of a lightning rod, but I respect how he can handle his own and I trust anything nitro engine related he ever has to say. I have no doubt he is a stand-up gentleman, and he knows his *****!.

Of course there are a slew of folks on here I'm not mentioning whom have been tremendous help to me (both latently or not).

The idea here is to call out those who have directly helped you with their advice on this forum. A good deed should never go unnoticed!

Which members to you respect most?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
crash118s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which member's advice do you respect?

slayerdude and syco venom....they are the ones that have answered my questions and repeated questions
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

lol a thread comparing users. This ought to be good.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too turn to different members for different advice. I'm grateful to be acknowledged, thanks John, I feel I do offer a lot of general and electric knowledge, but there are many who have much better specific knowledge who I will turn to now and then, particularly Neal (supertib) and DownUnder for engine related stuff.

Thunderbirdjunkie also has great general knowledge, don't know what happened to him lately...Lunchboxer and his crew collectively know everything there is to know about Tamiya. There are a few guys in the Giant scale forum who can't be touched for knowledge of their class. Ramtech, Apache, and a British guy whose handle I can't remember right now.

We do have some very knowledgeable people around here.

We had a member xerxes (everyone remember him?) I expect he;s still floating around somewhere, maybe with a new username. Anyway, he got a load of abuse because of his posting style, but I tell you what, if you could get through one of his posts (personally I never had any trouble), that guy knew his stuff. The people who ignored him because of his grammar were only doing themselves a disservice.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I see this turning into a flame war in short order, keep an eye Foxy.

I respect all of the "older" members opinions. Many of us can give good advice in different areas.

Xerxes shouldn't be allowed back until he can get a translator
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

IWe had a member xerxes (everyone remember him?) I expect he;s still floating around somewhere, maybe with a new username. Anyway, he got a load of abuse because of his posting style, but I tell you what, if you could get through one of his posts (personally I never had any trouble), that guy REALLY knew his stuff. The people who ignored him because of his grammar were only doing themselves a disservice.
I forgot about him. At first he really annoyed me but then I realized that it was almost fun trying to decipher his posts. And yes, he did have a bit of knowledge about RCs. You make it sound like he got kicked out, but his user page says he was logged in 3 days ago.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Foxy

I never took any action over his grammar and made a point of defending him on it. I would love to be the grammar police if it was in any way acceptable, but it isn't, so I won't do it. There's no place to draw that line. What are we saying, you have to be classically educated and/or have an IQ over 80 to be welcome in this community? See the problem?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 AM
9five9

whatever happened to Sheograth?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

xerxes just did it to be funny I saw posts by him (same location info, and name) in other forums and he didn't type like that. I think he got a kick out of how nuts people went, it kinda was like TBJ's typing in 3rd person if you saw his older posts he didn't do that.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Yea, Sheo kinda only haunts here from time to time. we need more mods here, even though it does stay fairly calm. Last I talked to TBJ, he had been very busy. Winter is coming, we may see him again soon, I hope. He was a good one here haha

Foxy, you are right, it would be borderline discrimination but I feel there should be some kind of line drawn. it really detracts a lot in a post when the language is being intentionally butchered. You shouldn't have to search for the intelligence or have to dig around to find something worthwhile in it. Say, didn't you start a thread a while back about proper punctuation? Just kidding with ya, Foxy!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Yea, Sheo kinda only haunts here from time to time. we need more mods here, even though it does stay fairly calm. Last I talked to TBJ, he had been very busy. Winter is coming, we may see him again soon, I hope. He was a good one here haha

Foxy, you are right, it would be borderline discrimination but I feel there should be some kind of line drawn. it really detracts a lot in a post when the language is being intentionally butchered. You shouldn't have to search for the intelligence or have to dig around to find something worthwhile in it. Say, didn't you start a thread a while back about proper punctuation? Just kidding with ya, Foxy!
Actually I used to read, and occasionally post on another forum all 1337 speak(only quit cause I stopped caring about the topic of the board), and Texting type speaking was banned any posts would be deleted fairly fast if they were submitted no questions asked, and users would be put on probation to have their posts 1st read by a mod before being submitted. They saw it as discrimination when people would type to the point to purposely make it so not everyone could understand it, and refused to let the board go down that route. They made exceptions for non-English speakers as you can usually tell when English isn't their first language though as they weren't going above and beyond to be illegible.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I respect all of the ''older'' members opinions. Many of us can give good advice in different areas.

The best way for this to not end up in a flame war would be to only say positive things about other users whether they are still using the site or not. In any case this thread is just going to be either a pat each other on the back thread or a place to hate on others, neither of which I am interested in doing.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I never took any action over his grammar and made a point of defending him on it. I would love to be the grammar police if it was in any way acceptable, but it isn't, so I won't do it. There's no place to draw that line. What are we saying, you have to be classically educated and/or have an IQ over 80 to be welcome in this community? See the problem?
I wasn't complaining about his grammar.But you're post and someone else's made it sound like he was kicked out. I was just curious.

-After I got over the annoyance of his writing, I found it amusing how mad people got.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

I respect a person who admits the crash was their fault and not the radio, battery, engine etc!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

I respect all of the ''older'' members opinions. Many of us can give good advice in different areas.

The best way for this to not end up in a flame war would be to only say positive things about other users whether they are still using the site or not. In any case this thread is just going to be either a pat each other on the back thread or a place to hate on others, neither of which I am interested in doing.
Well said. I'm the OP, so you have to play by MY rules. ;-) Only positive things.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
iexion

NOBODY'S... WERE ALL FULL OF IT!!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I turn to myself for knowledge, because I know pretty much everything.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:44 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: predman

I respect a person who admits the crash was their fault and not the radio, battery, engine etc!
Very true but there are instances where equipment fails

But the driver is always responsible for damage done to other rc's, property or persons.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone who agrees with me
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 AM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

Easy answer. Sorry I do not remember his handle, but the guy from Israel is hands down the best support/help I have seen. At any rate, the only one from Israel I am aware of on this forum. PLUS, I have never seen him get involved in personal rebukes.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

i respect the opinion and advice of any user who has hands on experience with what there talking about and who isn't a fanboy
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: 9five9

Drowned while swimming in a giant vault of treasure. Ala Scrooge McDuck.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Philly_RC_Guy

Two guys that I have respect for that haven't been mentioned yet are BudBud and Pythonfan.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:53 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Eman77

correction, he didnt drown, he's in intensive care because he broke every bone in his body trying to dive in.

who's advice do i respect? anyone who's advice is relevant, correct and positive. and in case you were wondering, yes advice can be incorrect. example:

new guy: i'm looking for a first truck. i want 4wd, fast enough to stay entertaining while i learn to drive and i want to stay under $300 for everything.

correct answer: for that price you have a couple options. you could get a tamiya DF02 kit or rtr (you didnt specify) and all needed components or if you prefer you could get one of the thunder tiger models. they have both nitro and electric. HPI also has a couple models in that price range. google those and see what you prefer.

incorrect answer: get a t4.1 worlds*, i love mine.

see, incorrect advice. another example:

asker: i want to upgrade the engine in my rc8, what engine would you recommend for racing?

correct answer: i dont know what the track conditions are like where you are nor did you specify your budget but OS, pico and novarossi all make decent engines.

incorrect answer: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXWMB1&P=8 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWZJ7&P=ML

*you thought i was going to say rustler there didnt you? not all fanboys are traxxas fans!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

ORIGINAL: Eman77

correction, he didnt drown, he's in intensive care because he broke every bone in his body trying to dive in.

who's advice do i respect? anyone who's advice is relevant, correct and positive. and in case you were wondering, yes advice can be incorrect. example:

new guy: i'm looking for a first truck. i want 4wd, fast enough to stay entertaining while i learn to drive and i want to stay under $300 for everything.

correct answer: for that price you have a couple options. you could get a tamiya DF02 kit or rtr (you didnt specify) and all needed components or if you prefer you could get one of the thunder tiger models. they have both nitro and electric. HPI also has a couple models in that price range. google those and see what you prefer.

incorrect answer: get a t4.1 worlds*, i love mine.

see, incorrect advice. another example:

asker: i want to upgrade the engine in my rc8, what engine would you recommend for racing?

correct answer: i dont know what the track conditions are like where you are nor did you specify your budget but OS, pico and novarossi all make decent engines.

incorrect answer: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXWMB1&P=8 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWZJ7&P=ML

*you thought i was going to say rustler there didnt you? not all fanboys are traxxas fans!
LOL seen stuff like that said too many times
even after the guy says 3 times he's not interested in that kinda thing then people start saying the benefits of BL over nitro, and the OP gets fed up to leave and never to return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.