Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is driving a slow rc car boring after driving a fast one?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is driving a slow rc car boring after driving a fast one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is driving a slow rc car boring after driving a fast one?

What are all your thoughts on this question? We will probably get a range of answers. What makes slow rc more fun. When I mean slow I am talking about under 30mph and fast I am talking about about 40mph+

I am thinking of buying a tt01e brushed rtr for "fun", I am just wondering if the fast brushless stuff I have today will make it seem boring or will fun factor "depend" on something. I can imagine brushed cars being fun in a small track racing other scale looking cars but very boring going up and down my street (considering I am used to brushless speed).

What are your thoughts?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Is driving a slow rc car boring after driving a fast one?

With a set of drift tyres it will be fun for a while
Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 AM
Ttowntoolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be fun in sertain situations...up and down the street may not be one of them. Setting up a tight circut inside a garage or in a big room indoors would be perfect. Or even a tight circut in the street.....
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally have no issues going back and forth between slow and fast cars.

The fastest Buggy I own I a VXL Bandit and it will run in the 60+ mph range on 3S pretty easily. I also have a Rustler that will do the same. Add in a few Touring cars that can run in the 70+ mph range.

Will those choices available you’d think one of them would be my favorite. Not even close.

By far my favorite car to run is an old school Grasshopper with a couple of easy mods and an S-600 motor followed by an old black chassis Stampede with the same S-600.

Fast cars are great but they have very limited use.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It does depend...on where you drive it!

I drive many brushless offroad models. So a brushed rustler/slash/buggy isnt much fun where I drive my brushless stuff. But put them on a track and its a blast.

They seem just as fast as BL on a tight track...where a brushless wouldnt be much faster anyway. but in large open areas they seem too slow and thus boring.

So its all about WHERE you drive them.

And as mentioned before, you can go with rally or drift tires for a different feel altogether.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

if under 30 is slow then most of what iv owned has been slow. but i have gone from a ruffly 50mph pan car to a low 20mph tamiya M chassis. if all you're doing is driving back and forth in a straight line, everything no matter how fast gets boring. what keeps things from becoming boring? challenge! my M chassis is more fun driving around cones than my pan car is doing 50 in a straight line. new challenges, newobstacle's and new terrain is what keeps things interesting and fun. speed is almost irrelavant
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

another factor can be acceleration. If a car can only do 25mph but can get there really fast while spining the tires then it can still be fun.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well I find it more fun cause you can actually use the steering wheel to turn not just hammer the throttle for going straight

Some RC's like my MERV I actually went down to brushed from brushless as I found it 100% uncontrollable, and absolutely no fun stock.

As for a TT01e I run a HW 9t BL setup in mine seeing I can only really run it on a street, but then again I barely use it as I find onroads get boring pretty quick.

Now my HPI Wheely King, and Axial SCX10 I will say will never be brushless as I find them a blast with their brushed setups in them.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personaly don't find slow cars much fun. I had a drift car( HPI sprint 2 drift) for a while and got bored with it after a single pack then tore it apart to do a high speed project.I have built a couple cars to do 100+ speed runs and they are a blast and really do get your adrenalin pumping. Mostly due to the fact that you can never be really sure if you will see the car in one piece again if you make the slighest wrong twitch and wreck it! But for me the most fun I have had with an RC is with one of my brushless 1/8 truggies on 6s. They may only top out at 45-55mph but the power is just brutal! I haven't tried crawlers yet and I think they might be fun and obviously they go slow. I know I would get bored with an onroad car that only did about 25-30
Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Haddi Taha

I tend to agree with that fact that where you driive influences the fun.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
steed2-inactive

I have no problem going from my flux or nitro mt's to my clod buster or bullhead. I will say though running 2s lipos makes the big tamiyas so much more fun. Very frustrating to be 3min into a run and already have half the current gone. 2s the bounce around happily for ten to fifteen. I am kinda sick in the head though as I for some reason would like to make a video of my savage flux on 6s and the clod on 2s both wide open head on. With a high frame rate and an hd camera and just watch the flux cut that clod in half.....yes there's something wrong with me....
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: steed2

I have no problem going from my flux or nitro mt's to my clod buster or bullhead. I will say though running 2s lipos makes the big tamiyas so much more fun. Very frustrating to be 3min into a run and already have half the current gone. 2s the bounce around happily for ten to fifteen. I am kinda sick in the head though as I for some reason would like to make a video of my savage flux on 6s and the clod on 2s both wide open head on. With a high frame rate and an hd camera and just watch the flux cut that clod in half.....yes there's something wrong with me....
OMG, your sig is awsome. Understeer is horrible...oversteer is a ton of fun!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM
steed2-inactive

Thanks bud. I wish I could take credit for it but I came across it on a camaro forum and stole it...shhh
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind it. I have a M05 with a brushed P2K2 stocker. It's quite a bit faster than stock, but slow as hell by brushless standards. The awesome thing though, it'll run for 45 minutes on a 5000mah LiPo. The battery lasts longer than the tires. A friend of mine has an M03 (I think), set up similarly but has an old Speed Gems motor in it. We'll pull up some lawn chairs, drink some beer, and race laps around my driveway for an hour.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I don't mind it. I have a M05 with a brushed P2K2 stocker. It's quite a bit faster than stock, but slow as hell by brushless standards. The awesome thing though, it'll run for 45 minutes on a 5000mah LiPo. The battery lasts longer than the tires. A friend of mine has an M03 (I think), set up similarly but has an old Speed Gems motor in it. We'll pull up some lawn chairs, drink some beer, and race laps around my driveway for an hour.
Sounds like alot of fun

My Tamiya TB03 Touring car has a 8.5t 4000kv motor geared to 6.5fdr and when I use 2s I get speeds about 40mph. The motor never gets hot and the battery like lasts 40 minutes. However even with this setup the car is very tame.

You got to love those long runtimes

Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Ttowntoolman

Sunday it was raining buckets outside. I was working on a project in the garage when we decided to build a off road track inside the garage. Cardboard ramps and hills, empty pop cans, 5 gal buckets, we made a fun track inside. Used a couple of brushed 27turns in some old evaders and had a great time, never went over 15mph I bet.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Haddi Taha

I think I may get the tt01e as I don't have any rc that like small places and I need something thats not blazing fast if i want to race with someone who has a simple brushed car