Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

beginner questions about rc cars

Hello,

I'm looking for some information regarding RC cars. Here's the deal: I'm looking for a hobby for my grandfather because he can no longer walk, but his mind is still all there and is extremely bored everyday with sitting in his wheelchair and watching TV. He has always enjoyed working with his hands on cars and in carpentry. He built a RC helicopter once and enjoyed it but, it was crashed and we never got parts for it. I think he'll enjoy building a RC car, also. It's mostly the assembly I think he'll enjoy, then we'll spend time with my son (his greatgrandson) driving it. Anyways, I'm looking for recommendations of something that is of quality, and takes a long time to assemble. Also not sure if I should do Nitro or Electric powered. Are the electric cars mostly plastic, and the nitro made of heavier duty metals?

Thanks in advance.
    rob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: beginner questions about rc cars

Rob, Tamiya has your name all over it!! grab any one of their assembly kits and enjoy, as long as Pop's still has good dexterity, it will be perfect. I personally enjoy the building, repairing, and modding of Rc's more than driving them, (to a certain extent). Hop ofver to the tamiya website and take a look, I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Cheers bud-Scott
    oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!-savagex,-savagexl,-savageflux,-revo3.3,-tmaxx3.3,-losi aftershock ltd

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agree on Tamiya. They have a plethora of different kits, and there are a lot of them in the low $100 range that only need a radio, battery, charger(and some a $7 BEC or they blow the radio) that are pretty durable, and a wide variety.
    Or if you want to get him a RC that looks scale there are the Axial SCX10's (they cost a quite a bit more though)

As for nitro vs electric construction. Yes electrics are generally more plastic then metal as the nitros need the metal plate to act as a heatsink for the engine, and if it was platic the engine would melt it and rip itself free as the nitro engines get to around 270 degrees where electrics can hit only 170ish before the motors fry so they don't have that issue.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: robrob52

He has always enjoyed working with his hands on cars **I think he'll enjoy building a RC car, also. *It's mostly the assembly I think he'll enjoy, I'm Also not sure if I should do Nitro or Electric powered. *Are the electric cars mostly plastic, and the nitro made of heavier duty metals?
    Thanks in advance.
    rob

humm... tamiya would be great for him., but I think an "old school" grandpa will love a 1:5 scale.

I don't know how much are you looking to spend, but a 1:5th kit will give him A LOT of pleasure. Not only the building process, but also working on it.
    Inferno GT​2 - RS4 2 - APEXmini touring - Baja 5T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tamiya all the way, start him off on an electric and then, later on if he gets hooked he can try a different power source.

Check out www.TamiyaUSA.com and just show him all the models! Almost 100% of them are kits that you build piece by piece.
    What would Chuck Finley do?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

great thanks for the info!  Just ordered a Tamiya car kit to start off with.  Electric since it's starting to get cold.   Maybe we'll go with gas powered after the winter and if he likes it enough.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which one? I started my first kit on my lunchbox. What a joy it is!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought the Tamiya Nissan GTR