Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

need help on nitro ID

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default need help on nitro ID

did it again, bought an unknown chassis.
I got what you see pictured. Not sure what model it is. No idea if it will run. but it was $47 shipped BIN, so I took a chance.

any ideas guys?
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91227.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1821897  
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Default RE: need help on nitro ID

after a good deal of googling-aling, the closet thing I can come up with is the tower hobbies nitro ST-15.
the pic is soo power I cant be certain tho.

any other ideas what it could be? any other brands use purple? Only other I can think of is HPI...and and dont think its anything they make.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not an ST-15... I had one of those and there are some differences.

Its either duratrax Maximum ST or Maximum MT. Could be the Pro version but im not sure...

Here ya go:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...t-pro-rtr.html

Edit- Actually I think yours IS the pro version... Looks like it has the 2 speed bell and spur setup. Kinda like a before its time Jato
Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Its not an ST-15... I had one of those and there are some differences.

Its either duratrax Maximum ST or Maximum MT. Could be the Pro version but im not sure...

Here ya go:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...t-pro-rtr.html

Edit- Actually I think yours IS the pro version... Looks like it has the 2 speed bell and spur setup. Kinda like a before its time Jato
thanx a ton, would not have figured that one out on my own...lol.

I was able to find the manual on duratrax's site. This thing came as a unasembled RTR originally. the manual shows how to install the servos, radio tray, linkages ect.

seen a few utube vids and it looks fairly fast.

maybe when I resell it I will say that I dont know the make, but that it is like a Jato....LOL

wonder if it will be hard to find parts for it?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM
cummins driver

You're welcome. They were selling those back when I bought my first ever hobby grade r/c, the Tower Nitro ST-15... Really wish I had bought the duratrax maximum st instead because I remember it was only about $20 more. Might of saved me a lot of headache... lol

Id say parts are obsolete other than finding them on ebay or old stock in a hobby shop, etc... It'd be possible to find another complete truck for parts probably, but probably not worth it as far as money goes if you are reselling. If you are restoring, that may be different [8D]

I never saw one run, but Id say the 2 speed was fairly fast for its time. If you get it running, take a video!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

You're welcome. They were selling those back when I bought my first ever hobby grade r/c, the Tower Nitro ST-15... Really wish I had bought the duratrax maximum st instead because I remember it was only about $20 more. Might of saved me a lot of headache... lol

Id say parts are obsolete other than finding them on ebay or old stock in a hobby shop, etc... It'd be possible to find another complete truck for parts probably, but probably not worth it as far as money goes if you are reselling. If you are restoring, that may be different [8D]

I never saw one run, but Id say the 2 speed was fairly fast for its time. If you get it running, take a video!
yes, I intend to get it fully RTR before I sell it. Clean it up good, make it look sweet.
Any idea just how old it is? 10 years or so maybe?

I had a ST-15 a year or so ago. I didnt run it alot, but I got it used in a parts lot and was amazed how easy that motor fired up. It ran no matter the temp and was so forgiving. I didnt bash it hard, so I cant speak for the chassis, but the motor was great.

The max has 1 .16. That combined with the 2 speed should get it going fairly good.
Did it seem odd when it came out to buy a model with all the alloy upgrades already there?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 AM
cummins driver

I was about 12 when I bought my st-15 new from tower hobbies. I'm 25 now, so it was introduced over 13 years ago apparently. I have no idea how long they produced it but it's probably 10 years old plus or minus a couple years.

My problems with the st-15 was mainly my lack of experience and the fact that it came to me with loose head bolts. Had I received the same truck now it wouldn't be an issue for me to get it going, but it was kind of a perfect storm of issues for a first timer. I never replaced any of the chassis parts though. They offered a 2 speed, tuned pipe etc for the st-15 that really helped it out from what I heard.

The maximum pro trucks were probably ahead of their time with some of the features and the 2 speed, but duratrax wasn't as well known then and back then anyone spending the money for a maximum pro probably would rather have bought an rc10gt since they were a hot truck then. It kind of brings back old memories seeing these old trucks. I'd like to have kept my st-15 and put a .15 cv-r o.s. on it just to run on the road from time to time. But that's water under the bridge. Haha. I did just buy an rc10gt though so maybe that will be a similar truck that still has parts support. I have a just broken in 2.5 trx that should move it nicely
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

cool, thanx for the info
maybe if I get the truck and make it RTR, youd like to buy a vintage maximum to help you with those nastalgic feelings
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM
cummins driver

I doubt it Im not much on having stuff you cant get parts for. There are several r/c's that were decent but didnt last long enough to have any real parts support which is a shame.