Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

A novice question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A novice question

I am an absolute novice to RC cars and trucks. I am kicking around the idea of getting a car/truck to play around with while we are at the flying field. I have flown RC airplanes for years and the field we have is 700 feet long and 100 feet wide, all grass, that we share with ultra light full size airplanes. The grass is very short but the ground is not level. It rolls pretty significantly and is about 20 feet higher on the north end than it is on the south end. Soooooo, I'm thinking I need something with good size tires to roll smoothly over the terrain. My thinking is that 1/16 would be too small, that I would need at least 1/12 and probably 1/8. Am I on the right track here?

BTW, what is a "stadium truck"?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: A novice question

How much are you wanting to spend? I assume you already have a charger?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 PM
JollyPopper

I have no idea how much it would cost for what I want. By asking if I have a charger, I assume you are guessing I am going electric. That is not necessarily the case. However, I do have a charger but I do not know if it would be sufficient for a car. It is an iMAX B6 charger.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

given you have a charger that can charge a lipo battery, Id say go for a brushless monster truck.

The stampede VXL is a good one. Tough basher, enough ground clearnace, and on a 2s 5000mah lipo it will do 40mph no problem.

Its only draw back is being 2wd. But if you are willing to spend more money then you can opt for a 4wd brushless truck.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
JollyPopper

OK, that is the kind of constructive advice I was looking for. Now, why is being a 2wd a drawback on this kind of terrain?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM
t-max97

4wd is just alot better off-road, if you just want somthing to play around with every now and then I would go with a brushlees setup like the other guy said, a nitro car engine is alot harder to keep running good than plane engines....I have both. A stampede would be a good choice like he said and that charger is fine.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
JollyPopper

Can the pistol grip radios that I see packaged with these cars and trucks be programmed with exponential? I'm thinking that a Traxxis Stampede VXL coming at me at 50mph would be nice to have expo on the steering to make it a little soft in the middle. Am I thinking correctly here?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
t-max97

Some have a steering adjustment knob that adjust how much the wheels turn left and right but I havent heard of expo being used on cars but that doesnt mean they dont. lol But after a few minutes of driving I dont think you will have any problems with it.