Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

pricing...why so subjective?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default pricing...why so subjective?

Im talking about prices on used models.

3 years ago (maybe a bit more) I bought a used, RTR rustler vxl with spare parts, upgrades and a 3s lipo. The lipo was a max amps 3s 5000mah.
I paid $250 shipped for it.

Now, I realize that at that time I got a heck of a good deal. But even just a year ago I found a couple of RTR rustler vxl's for $150 shipped.

Lately tho....I cant find a RTR rustler/slash/pede or any variant there off VXL for less than $200. Ive seen some asking $500!

Same goes for EMaxx. Ive bought 3 of the black chassis 2speed models in the past...all RTR, for $150-$175.

Today, I cant find them less than $200. I can understand the newer gray chassis going for $250-$350, but the 2 speed?

Want another one, I bought a Radio ready slash 4x4 with some alloy bits last year for $190 shipped. Not easy to find one for less than $250 now.

I could go on, but needless to say I do alot of shopping on ebay and RCU and it seems harder to find deals on certain models.

I want to build a 1/5 scale stampede vxl like I did awhile back....but havent been able to find a cheap chassis. And the stinkin vxl systems alone go for $100 used. Ive bought a RTR rustler vxl in the past for $150...and people are paying $100 for just the vxl system?

I was searching ebay for a used exceed 1/8 crawler (mine needs parts, nitrorcx is out, thought maybe a cheap used will do) only one I found is BIN for $120 with $20 shipping. They are $135 new plus shipping. Does that make sence?

Im ranting. I dont know whats caused the recent Used Rc price increases....but it stinks. What happened to the days when people realized that a use rc...is generally only worth Half what it cost new?
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: pricing...why so subjective?

beats me prices are pretty ludicrous
my favorite was when I tried selling on ebay an ARR merv with under 10 mins on it(needed radio, and ESC), pile of RPM parts in the bag, new tires, body, pinions, and all the parts I swapped for RPM was also included $150 was what I was asking. People were messaging me saying I was friggin insane no bids no buyout. A roller no tires, electronics, pinion, body, all stock, that looked like it was drug through a mud pit sold for $160 the same day mine ended...
I gave up trying to sell what I don't run after that, and came to the realization a pile of ppl are friggin insane
Kinda reminded me how I bought a ARR savage .21 only missing a radio for $200 shipped(also had 3 bodies in good shape) where another (savage .21) sold 5 mins prior(I was watching it) that looked like it was hit by a truck for $250...

I also love those people selling ruslter xl-5's for $500 saying they put $1000 of parts into it... yea replacing their broken parts with stock traxxas parts.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because they are asking doesent mean they are getting

Regardless, its hard to find stuff cheap. I often buy good deals just to resell and make money, etc.. I bought a RTR black chassis E-Maxx for $75 a while back off craigslist. Put a $5 shock tower on it and sold it for I think $180.. Pretty easy profit there On the other hand, my father in law just sold his immaculate 3905 e-maxx with a hobbywing 150a esc and tacon 40/74 motor for $330 shipped. It was a steal and I would have bought it had i been looking myself. He had a hard time selling it though was the thing. I finally listed in on the traxxas site for him and it was gone in 2 days.

My Blitz I just bought that came with the VXL is a real nice truck. Heck the original tires are still in really good shape and got it with the VXL, lipo charger, and 2.4 for $125 shipped. Just cant really go wrong with a deal like that.

Deals are out there, you just have to be patient. Its always easy to find someone that thinks their xl-5 rustler with aluminum arms is worth $300. Its like that no matter what you deal with though. I just sold one of my ATV's and had people wanting to trade me PS3's for it. Really? Im going to trade a $1200 fourwheeler for a PS3???

Its fun to buy and sell and try out different things. The problem is when you are in a hurry to buy and cant wait to find a deal. Thats when you can spend too much. lol
Old 12-01-2012, 04:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I agree there are still good deals out there ($75 emaxx, awsome!)
I have on the way a RTR redcat caldera 10e and a RTR ground pounder. I paid $200 shipped for both! The GP is $230 new, and the caldera is $200.

But the number of ads I see which are asking high prices are increasing. I recently saw a gray chassis emaxx roller...with no TRANS for $175 shipped. thats nuts.

I love the ones that want $500 for their rustler...cause they upgraded to a castle system. It aint no faster! Just has more expensive gear. And when you "upgrade" you dont get to include the cost of the bits you removed!

Ive seen a couple of "upgraded" venom safaries. They are only $230 new, but Ive seen used ones asking $350 and more.

And its not just ebay. Asking crazy prices happens on RCU marketplace as well. And thats the silliest place to ask a overly high price, as most RCU'ers know the value of a given model (or know to look up the value before buying)
I can see how sometimes items sell for to much on ebay....as many buyers dont know better. But I dont sell that way. I honestly would rather sell a used model for a fair price to a person knowledgable about RC....then sell a model for more than its worth to someone who is new to the hobby. Thats as bad as the Redcat dealers who charge $250 for a S30, when the MAP is $190. At under $200 its a decent model. At more than that, the newb would have been better off buying another brand. Thats why you see soo many USED redcat nitros asking $150-$200. The newbs either dont know they paid to much to start, or they simiply want to recoup their losses.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM
steed2-inactive

People in my area are punched, I only buy new vehicles unless I find a deal. A brand new savage x at the lhs is 459 plus tax. Used average price is 500. Erevo used are 800 emaxx used are 650 . What do I offer people, well usually I take the value off a new engine and two doffs off their price and offer them that, a used savage should be worth 150, add a new engine to that price along with a laundry list of other issues that you don't find out about until getting home and running it thoroughly, and soon enough you have more into a used truck than just buying new, as far as the brushless truck prices, I have to restain myself from sending hate mail to them but then I come to realization that if they are actually getting that for them,.....then I am the stupid one....
Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Asking prices don't mean a thing really. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to spend. if its priced too high no one will buy it. Alot of people are unrealistic thinking they can get new prices for a used item. But when they can't get it sold they will have to lower the price until it does sell. Thats the deal in a free market. As a buyer I want to spend the least amount possible, as a seller I want to get as much money out of an item I can. Somewhere a middle ground has to be found and thats when a deal is made!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Tamiya DF02 kit, pre built NIB with a custom painted shell for $150 posted. After 6 months I put it up for auction on ebay. It had no shocks, receiver, esc, 2 burnt brushed motors, one almost burnt, a couple of spares, bald tires and damaged wing. The chassis was also cracked. All was mentioned in the ad and the title read "Tamiya DF02 Rising storm for spares", I did my best to be honest and I was expecting to sell it for like $60.

The item sold for $120 on auction. AWESOME!

Used stuff for a reasonable price is scarce lately in rc
Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Ive been looking for a spare db01 for a while and cant seem to find one cheep enough for me..
Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I bought a Tamiya DF02 kit, pre built NIB with a custom painted shell for $150 posted. After 6 months I put it up for auction on ebay. It had no shocks, receiver, esc, 2 burnt brushed motors, one almost burnt, a couple of spares, bald tires and damaged wing. The chassis was also cracked. All was mentioned in the ad and the title read ''Tamiya DF02 Rising storm for spares'', I did my best to be honest and I was expecting to sell it for like $60.

The item sold for $120 on auction. AWESOME!

Used stuff for a reasonable price is scarce lately in rc
lol 3 years ago I got my nephews RTR XB DF-02 for $80 brand new in the dust covered box

Even scarier you can buy the kit new for $130
Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

that vintage tamiya hilux I bought for $75...I sold it for $200 on ebay.
It was more a restore project or for parts. Needed a rear hub, body, all electronics, cleaning ect.
Only problem was that USPS managed to break the front bumper. I had to pay out $50 to the buyer. STILL waiting to hear from usps, as I had it insured.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
OvalRacer99

When it comes to buying and selling anything, the price is relitave. Imay feel what I am selling is worth more that you think it's worth.
Ifind it to be normal for people to ask too much for what they are selling and not want to pay much for what they are buying. Also, everyone tries to give the old
salesman pitch, making their stuff sound better than it realy is just to get more $$$ for it.

When I look to sell something, Isimply put a price on it of what I think it is worth and let buyers shoot offers then the choice is simple,
take it or leave it.
What something is worth just depends on what someone is willing to pay, it's that simple.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Highish resale prices are good for RC IMO. Here it's the opposite - because people have heard of one great deal or whatever, it's expected that stuff will be given away as a rule. I had the chance to get a really good deal on an SC10 yesterda - from a shop, but passed at the last minute, partially because of doubts about being able to resell it - even if I never ran it.. I think the "market" is full of kids with unrealistic expectations... Yes, you can find deals, but it takes patience. Those incredible deals are exceptions to the rule, not the rule itself. And that's the way it should be.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 AM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Highish resale prices are good for RC IMO. Here it's the opposite - because people have heard of one great deal or whatever, it's expected that stuff will be given away as a rule. I had the chance to get a really good deal on an SC10 yesterda - from a shop, but passed at the last minute, partially because of doubts about being able to resell it - even if I never ran it.. I think the ''market'' is full of kids with unrealistic expectations... Yes, you can find deals, but it takes patience. Those incredible deals are exceptions to the rule, not the rule itself. And that's the way it should be.
Still, there is absolutely no reason that someone should ask more for a used vehicle for it is new. I will never pay more than half the value of the vehicle new. thats just me though.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problems with buying used is that sometimes people are trying to sell you their problems. For example, I bought  hsp 1/10 buggy. I broke $40 worth stuff in 3 weeks. If I spent $40 worth of repais ever 3 weeks then I will end up paying so much in the long run I coud of bought a 1/8 buggy. SO I sold the chassis as a roller for $65 with a broken shock tower, diff case and no pinion. If I fixed it it will cost $30.  I don't think I could sell it as a working roller for $95 so I sold it how it was.

I have a hsp 1/10 touring car now. I haven't broke a thing on it in almost a month of owning it and I am using 4000kv wit 2s and 3s lipos.