Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Nitro 2WD Slash

Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New Nitro 2WD Slash

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: steed2
Why have more R&D costs when you can just modify, current platforms and make more money, and more money than anyone else probably is.
because if everybody had that attitude we would be running mutated tamiya grasshoppers.
concord moments are requirred to sustain long term success. standing still with clever marketing only goes so far when everybody around you is running forwards progressing. eventually marketing can't bridge the gap between you and your compititions superior technology.

I agree to an extent....
But where is the forward progress in other companies? Maybe some completely new chassis designs...but not much inovative.

And while I have no interest in it, traxxas has done some inovative stuff with the electronics. The radio with telem and docking. Dont mean crap to me, but it was new.

I would tho....VERY much like to see them make an all new MT. The emaxx is outdated and flawwed. Breaks far to easy (bulkheads, driveshafts) and is pretty expensive.

That, and why havent they done a rock crawler or scaler yet???
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

Why have more R&D costs when you can just modify, current platforms and make more money, and more money than anyone else probably is.
because if everybody had that attitude we would be running mutated tamiya grasshoppers.
concord moments are requirred to sustain long term success. standing still with clever marketing only goes so far when everybody around you is running forwards progressing. eventually marketing can't bridge the gap between you and your compititions superior technology.

I agree to an extent....
But where is the forward progress in other companies? Maybe some completely new chassis designs...but not much inovative.

And while I have no interest in it, traxxas has done some inovative stuff with the electronics. The radio with telem and docking. Dont mean crap to me, but it was new.

I would tho....VERY much like to see them make an all new MT. The emaxx is outdated and flawwed. Breaks far to easy (bulkheads, driveshafts) and is pretty expensive.

That, and why havent they done a rock crawler or scaler yet???
inovation doesn't happen every day. it takes time to develop. losi dropped a nuke with the 22. going back to aluminum chassis, steering slider, gull wing suspension arms, and rear and mid motor mounting options. it may not be a new radical category, but it is currently thebugatti veyron in 1/10 scale off road.
the 1/8 scale electric buggys inovative. they aren't all converted nitros anymore. there are specific 1/8 scale electric cars out there now.
AE got inovative with the belt driven SC10 4x4.
if you keep an eye on on road pan cars and TC's. lots of subtle inovation there over the past 10 years. pan cars have just gotten crazy.

on a side note:
not an independent suspension MT kinda guy, but wouldn't mind seeing a new MT out of them myself. the maxx trucks are old, outdated and just flat out suck. if they could take the CG principals of the revo and mix it with a cleaner simpler chassis design and layout bassed of an e-maxx. use one shock per wheel standard suspension and fix the typical traxxas durability issues. even id have to admit that would be a pretty damn cool truck.
they really need to update there entire line up, that way when they do something like this nitro slash they aren't baseing it off of mid 90's technology. putting out a chassis that's outdated before its even on sale is just lame and pothetic.

and the telemetry is notinovative, it a BS marketing gimmick and ill tell you why. i has no bearing on how well the car works. it doesn't make it go any faster or handle any better, it doesn't make the car more controlable, it doesn't give you more run time, it doesn't make it more durable. it surves no purpose whatsoever in the vehicles functionality.
it's an add on for people to fiddle with so they can feel like they're more involved. it also gives the owner a false sense of satisfaction in thinking there car is better than yours because yours doesn't have it.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM
bigcam406

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see traxxas come out with something new, they havent released anything ''new'' in awhile. They just keep chopping, streching and modifying platforms, and to me i have no interest in it. Thats just me though, while its frustrating for me, that doesnt matter, I am not the target market, they are doing so well for good reason, they have got it all frigured out. Why have more R&D costs when you can just modify, current platforms and make more money, and more money than anyone else probably is.
i totally agree.im wondering why they dont put out a F1car.if it could be as nice and detailed as the funny car they released,im thinking it would be a good seller,and more importantly,SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I like the handling of the emaxx.
But the durability and weight suck.

Its a large truck, but still could be made to weigh a bit less. And we all know the bulkheads/driveshafts are weak.

The design is overcomplicated....as mentioned.

why dosent someone come up with a 1/8 type layout, with MT type ground clearance.

But then, traxxas doesnt have alot of motive to be inovative....if their current models are selling well.

But I digress.

Supposed to be speaking of the nitro slash here.

And even tho its based on a old chassis....just stretched with a big motor and SCT body....I still like it. Unlike some of their more recent models....it is simple. Granted, a pan chassis without a upper plate would have been better (easier to work on) but the nitro rustler is a fairly easy truck to work on.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM
FNG RIDER

Why not stretchit widen it and give it 4wd as well?  Just like my Slayer!!!  with canti shocks, tuned pipe, easy start and cool looks!!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I like the handling of the emaxx.
But the durability and weight suck.

Its a large truck, but still could be made to weigh a bit less. And we all know the bulkheads/driveshafts are weak.

The design is overcomplicated....as mentioned.

why dosent someone come up with a 1/8 type layout, with MT type ground clearance.

But then, traxxas doesnt have alot of motive to be inovative....if their current models are selling well.

But I digress.

Supposed to be speaking of the nitro slash here.

And even tho its based on a old chassis....just stretched with a big motor and SCT body....I still like it. Unlike some of their more recent models....it is simple. Granted, a pan chassis without a upper plate would have been better (easier to work on) but the nitro rustler is a fairly easy truck to work on.
I agree, lets try to keep this thread about the new nito Slash. If you guys want to talk about Traxxas in general take it over to this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11277525/tm.htm]thread[/link].
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Tower has them listed for $400. They were $600 yesterday, I'd feel sorry for anyone who ordered one at that price. Expected to be in stock late January.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXDAYB**&P=7
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: FNG RIDER

Why not stretchit widen it and give it 4wd as well? Just like my Slayer!!! with canti shocks, tuned pipe, easy start and cool looks!!

wouldn't stretching it, widening it and giving it 4wd make it a slayer?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Tower has them listed for $400. They were $600 yesterday, I'd feel sorry for anyone who ordered one at that price. Expected to be in stock late January.

isnt $400 steep for a 2wd nitro? I mean, cant you get a 1/8 ofna 4wd nitro for that kinda money?

I was expecting closer to $300.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
suburban_hooligan

isnt $400 steep for a 2wd nitro? I mean, cant you get a 1/8 ofna 4wd nitro for that kinda money?

that does sound steep. the AE truck is $370 (more up to date chassis to).
as far as im concerned they are both a jip. the stadium trucks they are based off of are $70 less

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope no where near $400
Ofna's jammin X1's are around $300
and now HPI has the hyper7 at $300 (yes HPI)
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
steed2-inactive

Haha...and look at a hyper 7 compared to this dirt squirrel. Next thing you know craiglist will be full of used nitro slash's. Although they will be 475 used cause of all "the money I invested in it"

In all seriousness, what a waste.

It will sell though.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to see traxxas come out with something new, they havent released anything ''new'' in awhile. They just keep chopping, streching and modifying platforms, and to me i have no interest in it. Thats just me though, while its frustrating for me, that doesnt matter, I am not the target market, they are doing so well for good reason, they have got it all frigured out. Why have more R&D costs when you can just modify, current platforms and make more money, and more money than anyone else probably is.
New.... um where have u been?

Erevo
Spartin
Slash
4x4 platform
Low cog platform
1/16 vearents
Drag car
X01
Helicopter
Drone

chopping, streching and modifying platforms... What because it shares a gearbox and shock tower???

99% of the stuff out there shares parts with its predesser or other styles. Do u feel the same about the losi xxx platform or the team assioated rc10 platform? What about Tamiya? Everyone is doing it why can't traxxas?

If u think that's bad checkout the automotive industry, they even share parts across Manifactures and some of the designs are over 50 years old.

It's very rare for new platforms to be 100% redesigned with all new parts.off the top of my head I can't think of anything

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

nope no where near $400
Ofna's jammin X1's are around $300
and now HPI has the hyper7 at $300 (yes HPI)

I thought hpi were just distributors for hobao? Not Manifactures. Is it still been sold as a hobao?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Erevo
Spartin
Slash
4x4 platform
Low cog platform
1/16 vearents
Drag car
X01
Helicopter
Drone

chopping, streching and modifying platforms... What because it shares a gearbox and shock tower???

99% of the stuff out there shares parts with its predesser or other styles. Do u feel the same about the losi xxx platform or the team assioated rc10 platform? What about Tamiya? Everyone is doing it why can't traxxas?

If u think that's bad checkout the automotive industry, they even share parts across Manifactures and some of the designs are over 50 years old.

It's very rare for new platforms to be 100% redesigned with all new parts.off the top of my head I can't think of anything

those are rebadges as was pointed out in their thread. outside changing the colors there was no R&D, and the original brand you can get for $40-$60 USD shipped
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 AM
phmaximus

My bad, still it's new for them and by the looks they might have traxxas only upgrades, only time will tell?

Updated list

Erevo
Spartin
Slash
4x4 platform
Low cog platform
1/16 vearents
Drag car
X01

Wonder if we will ever see a X01 based truggy?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

It looks like Losi has jumped on board with a nitro SCT, so maybe there is a market for nitro short course......
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Never mind, I realize now that its kinda old[&:]
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM
steed2-inactive

Erevo
Spartin
Slash
4x4 platform
Low cog platform
1/16 vearents
Drag car
X01
Helicopter
Drone

good point.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I thought hpi were just distributors for hobao? Not Manifactures. Is it still been sold as a hobao?
well as I said ofna jammin X1 (they only distribute), I meant the same way with HPI. It actually seems(from the pics I saw) HPI was lazier than ofna and didn't even take HoBao's name off the box or slap a HPI sticker on like Ofna did
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I think its pretty neat myself. I can guarantee that its waay overpowered with the 3.3. My RC10gt with the 2.5 is plenty powerful enough to get out of control. Of course im not saying its a bad thing either

I dont know why people think its a bad idea? Its using parts they have to broaden the market. Its makes sense as far as business goes. Now, I would rather have the SC10GT, but personally, I think a 2wd nitro sc class would be awesome!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I am jaded by my experience with Traxxas but I am not excited. I have found there products to be designed to break. Weak parts that break easily, gearing that strip easily and engines that are built to fail, hence the Traxxass trade in on the 3.3 and the weak weak weak connecting rod. They are the product of good marketing and product placement. They are loved by aftermarket part manufacturers because everyone wants to upgrade them so they stop breaking every run. And your LHS loves them for all the parts business they support. I don't think my LHS would survive if they didn't have Traxxas 'wall-o-parts' to support their sales.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

Maybe I am jaded by my experience with Traxxas but I am not excited. I have found there products to be designed to break. Weak parts that break easily, gearing that strip easily and engines that are built to fail, hence the Traxxass trade in on the 3.3 and the weak weak weak connecting rod. They are the product of good marketing and product placement. They are loved by aftermarket part manufacturers because everyone wants to upgrade them so they stop breaking every run. And your LHS loves them for all the parts business they support. I don't think my LHS would survive if they didn't have Traxxas 'wall-o-parts' to support their sales.
you know thinking about it the last hobby shop I went to had a giant wall of traxxas parts, and aftermarket parts,and a few tupper ware containers of traxxas parts. I'd say it was probably more than all the other brands parts(and after market stuff) combined.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Ttowntoolman

you know thinking about it the last hobby shop I went to had a giant wall of traxxas parts, and aftermarket parts,and a few tupper ware containers of traxxas parts. I'd say it was probably more than all the other brands parts(and after market stuff) combined.
Perhaps it is because Traxxas sells so many models compaired to all the others? They advertize the most so I assume they sell the most....
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM
steed2-inactive

As a business owner i would have to agree with all hobby stores for doing this, why stock parts and cars you dont sell? traxxas produst moves like no other, and hobby stores are in it for the money. (as any business owner is). Not saying they dont enjoy said business but everyone wants/needs to make money.

It would just be nice to see traxxas come out with something new, not a chopped and streched hacked together version of some other vehicle, or a rebranded product that sells for half the price under a different name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.