Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Past and Future Trends

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Past and Future Trends

Three quick questions for you boys:

1. What do you predict will be the biggest item/event/fad, etc for 2013?
2. Whatdo youhope will be the biggest item/event/fad, etc for 2013 (assuming it's different than what you predict)?
3. What do you feel wasthe biggest item/event/fad, etc. in 2012?

I'll soon be coming up on my one year anniversary in "the hobby" and am very intriqued with the trends that occur. I envy you guys who have been in to this for multiple years and have seen the various models that are introduced, racing classes, powertrain interest, etc.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Past and Future Trends

Stadium trucks wil become the most raced class ever...

j/k probably more of the same ole same ole
I've been in the ground based section of the hobby for like 3and a half year, and outside SCT's hitting the scene and making an uproar not much changed.
Hell in the past year I don't think any of my gear has changed much.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Yourworstnightmare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish old school style stadium trucks and touring cars would take back off.

SCT's are slow......

Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM
On2_n_On4

I want to see a 1:5 scale on road car from HPI. Or Kyosho., but I'm sure that ain't going to happen. [:@]
also... can't wait for that gas savage to come out.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: On2_n_On4

I want to see a 1:5 scale on road car from HPI. Or Kyosho., but I'm sure that ain't going to happen. [:@]
honestly that almost seems like what for software was called vaporware all hyped up and when it was supposed to be shown never materialized
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Ttowntoolman

I think the overall trend has been to produce faster stuff, from RTR's to things we put in our kits. Technology has raised the bar on electronics as well as nitro engines and I think the trend will continue........dont have a clue what it will look like. Kinda like the evolution of the cell phone, but at a slower pace. Unless of coarse the Mayans were correct, LOL.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I'm looking forward to when Traxxas decides to make their first plane. Not sure when, but it will happen.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM
The Mad Modder

I predict that short course will remain popular until mid next year, when traxxas releases their rc unicycle. All other companies will then stop producing SC trucks, to follow traxxas' hot new trend with their own versions.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
steed2-inactive

I think traxxas will produce a 1/6.4 scale formula 1 car that does 300 mph out of the box.....after linking with a Russian satellite

All joking aside, I think sct will stay strong, and everything will go as usual with no big changes in the hobby. I dont think we will see the hpi gassers as they were to be released in 2012 and, well, times running out. I'm not surprised, as IMHO a 8 cc gasoline engine would not have the power of a nitro 28. This is the wall I am guessing they ran into.

I hope hpi keeps the hyper 7 at the current 299 as I'm digin that price and daddy's birthday is coming up.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what I want to see:

the gas powered savage.....

more affordable and RTR brushless 1/8 onroad cars.....

A rock crawler from traxxas (they already got all waterproof electronics)

And Looking forward to seeing what Redcat's brushless Trike will be like.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM
robg68

We need to start getting more electric 1/8 truggies, lots of conversion kits but few are actually factory made and i think the electronics are up to the task now.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

there's a few things i hope happen next year.
1.  1/10 buggys and stadium trucks gain popularity.
2.  affordable race friendly TC's make a comeback.
3.  HPI will finally do something with that damn gas savage. (it's time they ether pooped or got off the pot)
4.  team kits make a comeback.

i also hope those stupid cab/cockpit forward buggy and stadium truck and truggy body's go away.  they're ugly as hell and i seriously doubt they do a stinking thing.  time for that fad to be over.  it's time we got back to buggy's that look like buggy's and trucks that look like trucks.

none of that stuff will happen, but i can dream can't i?

what do i think will happen?  2012 continued.  nothings changed sense the short course craze hit a few years ago, and while it is slowing slightly, it's not going to let up enough for anything else to take over.  and i don't see anything new and cool enough to dethrone it so more of the same.  so hoped you liked 2012.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 PM
robg68

I hate that cab forward look.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

honestly that almost seems like what for software was called vaporware all hyped up and when it was supposed to be shown never materialized
Something went wrong in the testing of that engine, they were close to releasing but then had to cancel i beleive.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: littlemel

Something went wrong in the testing of that engine, they were close to releasing but then had to cancel i beleive.
I wonder what happened, I'd love to hear the inside story.
I was also very intrigued in how a 1/8 gas engine would perform, if it worked it would have been the next big thing for sure.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Idk I see nothing changing. Traxxas will still be the leader in the hey look how awesome this old car with a new body is! Tamiya will be the leader in scale. Associated will lead racing. Losi wont do anything special.
Biggest fad? Mini Stadium trucks
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 PM
bbagle1

I think gas engines in smaller more affordable packages will be the next big wave of innovation. It used to be that 50cc airplanes were the smallest you could easily put a gas engine on and not have a weight or power penalty over glow. With the new crop of 20cc and 30cc engines those are now the break even size for glow versus gas. Horizon has just announced a 10cc airplane engine now. It will start with 1/8 scale monster trucks I'd imagine as power to weight ratio isn't quite as important there. Then as things progress the engines will become lighter and more powerful until racers have to make the choice between the maintenance and mess of glow with slightly more power or fuel economy and ease of gas with a slight power and or weight penalty. All this probably won't happen in the next year but it will happen. Even if battery technology greatly increases there will still be a large number of ppl who need the sound and smell of an internal combustion engine of some sort.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: robg68

We need to start getting more electric 1/8 truggies, lots of conversion kits but few are actually factory made and i think the electronics are up to the task now.
Id like to see a RTR, based off some of the conversions that use an outrunner motor with 2 outputs. Center motor, no center diff, less driveline parts to break, low KV motor with lots of torque.

In fact, Id like to see some 1/10 scale models try the center mounted outrunner motor method. No pinion and spur gear to get chewed up! And one can still do slipper clutches one either side of the output before the diffs. And that can allow for some tuning as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

there's a few things i hope happen next year.
1. 1/10 buggys and stadium trucks gain popularity.
2. affordable race friendly TC's make a comeback.
3. HPI will finally do something with that damn gas savage. (it's time they ether pooped or got off the pot)
4. team kits make a comeback.

i also hope those stupid cab/cockpit forward buggy and stadium truck and truggy body's go away. they're ugly as hell and i seriously doubt they do a stinking thing. time for that fad to be over. it's time we got back to buggy's that look like buggy's and trucks that look like trucks.

none of that stuff will happen, but i can dream can't i?

what do i think will happen? 2012 continued. nothings changed sense the short course craze hit a few years ago, and while it is slowing slightly, it's not going to let up enough for anything else to take over. and i don't see anything new and cool enough to dethrone it so more of the same. so hoped you liked 2012.
I couldn't agree more. The look of the cab forward truggies or buggies is just plain ugly. What benefit does it really have?
I don't think nitro will ever die
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 AM
FNG RIDER

I predict cancellation of cab forward and inception of mid cab buggy.  LOL what else is there to do?  sct is here to stay sorry haters: P

Tamiya will continue to release f1 cars with archaic pan car chassis, over priced merchandise and free TCS events.

Sakura will continue to release copies of f1 cars with horrid tolerances, high breakability and low initial prices.

I would like to see Traxxas release a 1/10 NASCAR Cup Replica series of all of the top teams and drivers.  easy to do by shrinking the XO chassis and have free rent a ride demos at NASCAR EVENTS

Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 AM
supertib

Cab forward makes a huge difference in performance on the track....that styling is not going anywhere...... who cares how it looks, its how it performs that matters...if you after scale looks go buy a plastic car model or something...Buggies and truggies are about the driving experience, not about looking like a scale miniature..... do any of you even own a cab forward machine ?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 AM
pcarluvr

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ORIGINAL: littlemel

I wonder what happened, I'd love to hear the inside story.
I was also very intrigued in how a 1/8 gas engine would perform, if it worked it would have been the next big thing for sure.

You'd think they would have tested it prior to putting it a vehicle and releasing photo's of it? Or even before they even built one, they would know everything that people have said how it won't work?

I'd like to see diesel come back. It was messy and a bit of a pain to get started but once you did, no temperature ever effected how it ran....ever....
Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

The theme over the past year or 2 (in my view) has been scale models.

SCT trucks are propular partly because they are fun to race, but also because (unlike st or buggies) they look scale.

And rock crawling kinda started with the ax10, but the SCX10 and simillar trucks made crawling explode.

things like the axial exo and hpi offering are also along the same lines. good offroad handling, but looking like a real 1:1 vehicle.

Id like to see more 1/8 and 1/6 size models made to look SCALE. More 1/8 onroads, but offroads as well. When it comes to big brushless or nitro trucks, you cant get much that looks scale.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: supertib

Cab forward makes a huge difference in performance on the track....that styling is not going anywhere...... who cares how it looks, its how it performs that matters...if you after scale looks go buy a plastic car model or something...Buggies and truggies are about the driving experience, not about looking like a scale miniature..... do any of you even own a cab forward machine ?
i callshenanigans
iv driven a RC10B4.1 RTR with a novak brushless system in it on a race track. first time i drove it it had the stock body. second time i drove it it had some cockpit forward proline body on it. looked like crap. there was no noticable difference in the handling of the buggy.
iv been able to do the same thing with an old losi 8ight. there was no noticable difference. the owner of the car was a racer, all he does with RC is race. he even said he couldn't tell a difference between the two.

iv yet to have theopportunity to test a stadium truck or truggy.

trucks need to look like trucks. buggys need to look like buggys. and ROAR needs to crack down on this crap. cause body design is just gettingridiculous with those stupid mohawk style sunken roofs. for the sake of keeping the class looking like its namesake that style roof needs to be outlawed
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM
supertib

IMO the more scale a RC vehicle looks, the less competent performer it becomes......... I own a SC,Buggy and truggy...and my SC drives like a sack of hammers compared to the buggy and truggy...sure it looks cool for about the first five minutes, but then the novelty wears off and you realize how crappy the car handles as a result of the scale looking body.. full size cars are built around a passenger cabin and many compromises are made because of the passenger compartment...a RC car has no such need for a passenger compartment and it serves no purpose other then nostalgia,,,,,,Now for bashing and playing the scale look is cool, but for all out performance and racing its unesearry and detracts too much performance from the vehicle.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.