Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Would you buy this used truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Would you buy this used truck?

ORIGINAL: kettlecorn

Thanks. So I might jsut stick with the 30C then. I wish the battery tray would fit a 4s in there cause then I could just wire up a 5000mah 4s battery and charge once instead of rotating and charging 2 different batteries. Or 4 if I get 2 pairs. Maybe there's a battery compartment mod I can do..
Damn I need to learn how to solder. I bought a solder kit to try and repair my earphones and it was an utter fail. Why are deans plugs the standard and if so, why do these batteries come with banana plugs??
So two of those batteries either Skylipo or turnigy and I would need a splitter cable right? My ESC only has 1 cable for a battery. I would need a serial splitter? Here's the esc i have. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1_8_1_5_.html I dont know what the 3 cables do.

also, there are like 3 or 4 of the same Sky Lipo batteries listed on this page. Turnigy also has very similar or same spec batteries on their page. Why is this? Is there a difference I am missing? http://www.hobbypartz.com/skylipo2s30c.html

Something like this? http://www.maxamps.com/Deans-Series-Adapter-12.htm
Deans aren't really a standard
they have high market penetration, but not everything use them. And seeing not everything uses them why would they want to pay for licensing rights to use their plug(which would increase battery cost)
my RC's all have traxxas connectors, and honestly I've contemplated going over to EC3's as they support way more current, and are a hell of a lot easier to solder then deans or traxxas.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
kettlecorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

SPC have a 2S 5000mAh 30C pack for $28 and you can choose either Traxxas or Deans connectors.

http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=125

Here's a Deans series connector, although wiring your ESC in a series would be the best option.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXYHX5&P=K
Thanks, that'll save me from soldering. What do you mean by wiring my ESC in a series? It has 1 deans connector for now.. so I should just use that adapter to make it 2 right?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some of my models have deans....
but most have the 4.0 banana plugs that come on most redcats as well as most the batteries on hobbypartz.com

I dont know what the 4.0 plugs are rated for, but Ive run 3s lipo threw them without issue.

I kinda like them better than the deans. I have a couple of deans that I had to bend the male side alittle cause the connection wasnt good. And over time, the coating wears off. And if the plugs do fit together tight...the are a huge pain to pull apart cause there is not much to hold onto.

The 4.0 plugs are much larger and thus easier to pull apart. I mean, they fit toghether tight, but you have alot to grab onto when taking them apart.

on the range of sky lipo packs...some are soft case and other are hardcased. hardcase offers more protection. Unless you model has small batt trays and only the softcase will fit, you should go with the hardcase.
Also, there is a range of "C" ratings on their packs.
I use the ones rated at 30c constant / 60c burst.
Not all packs have a burst current rating, but its nice if they do and you know the batt and pump out a fair bit of juice for a short burst.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
kettlecorn

Thanks. Am I looking at getting 2s1p or 2s2p? I didn't understand the explanation given about that. If it's 2s2p, that means it's 2 series in 2 parallel so it equals 4s total power?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

No 2s2p is still a 2s...it doesn't matter which one you get.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM
kettlecorn

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Oh ok. How come they have different variations? What is the purpose of that?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Oh ok. How come they have different variations? What is the purpose of that?

it probably costs more to make a bigger cell than 2 smaller ones
in the 5200mah its probably 2 2100 cell 2s lipos in parallel

Batteries wired in parallel the mAh totals add, and keeps voltage the same. If a battery is wired in series the mAh total stays the sae but the voltage is added.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM
t-max97

Rc in general is ALOT to try and learn at once but everything isn't a complicated as it sounds lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM
kettlecorn

The learning curve is steep. The only thing worse is rc helis!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
t-max97

Haha yeah.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM
kettlecorn

Just received my batteries today from Spec. I didn't charge it I just put it in and tried it for a minute or so. I didn't get the splitter yet so I only ran ONE 2s 30c 5000mah battery. It was good but not that quick.
Anyway if anyone is familiar with the Traxxas 2.4 radios and setup, maybe you can help me set up my first car. Everything works except there is some lag particularly reverse. If I hit reverse throttle, it doesn't do it until I hold it for at least a second or two or I hit it twice. Is this normal? I'm using the standard radio and transmitter it came with.

The other issue is that if I TAP very gently on reverse, the car will move into reverse (more like small jerk) and then it will start crawling forward and will keep doing this until I tap reverse again. I thought it was "throttle trim" but I messed aruond with the dial and went all the way down, 0 and up and no difference. There's also something called 70/30 and 50/50 and if I put it on 70/30 then reverse doesn't even work. 50/50 makes it work.
Also on the bottom of the transmitter there's a button called Menu and Set but I don't see what that is supposed to be if there's no LCD screen.
Any help?

I also want to add that if I turn off the transmitter and the car remains on, the car will start moving forward. I have no idea why this is.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Your ESC needs to be calibrated again to the radio

ok set it to 50/50
set the throttle trim to the center
calibrate the ESC

I think you said it was a HobbyWing ESC
Press the set button while turning the power to the ESC on, and when red led flashes let the set button go.
Press "set" button again, the green led will flash once. Keep the trigger at neutral.
Press "set" button again, the green led will flash twice, squeeze the trigger all the way.
Press "set" button again(while still holding the trigger), and green led flashes 3 times. Go full reverse on trigger now, and press the set button while holding the trigger in reverse.
It should work a few seconds later
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
kettlecorn

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ok set it to 50/50
calibrate the ESC

Press the set button while turning the power to the ESC on, and when red led flashes let the set button go.
Press "set" button again, the green led will flash once. Keep the trigger at neutral.
Press "set" button again, the green led will flash twice, squeeze the trigger all the way.
Press "set" button again(while still holding the trigger), and green led flashes 3 times. Go full reverse on trigger now, and press the set button while holding the trigger in reverse.
Thanks I think you're right. But it's actually the Hobbyking esc. There's no set button but there is a switch (on /off) and also a red button. Could that be the set button? Are all esc's set the same way?

I also found traxxas has an entire menu system based on LED lighting. I dont know wht they do but it might be useful if the calibration doesn't work.http://traxxas.com/video/Accessories...-TQ-24GHz-High

Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Traxxas invented a convoluted menu system for their radios which do not use screens to aid in navigating the various menu options. Instead, they rely on the user counting the number of flashes from the LEDon the bottom of the transmitter and navigating with a chart in the instruction manual. Believe it or not, there are some options that can be adjusted. It's just a hassle.

Also, this goes back to RC101, the transmitter is always the FIRST to turn on and the LAST to turn off. Even though you may not be touching a control the transmitter is still sending out a signal and the car is receiving it. Once that signal is gone, the car has no instruction to follow and may potentially do it's own thing; like run away uncontrollably.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
kettlecorn

Is the ESC program card setup the same as the Traxxas 2.4 menu system? 

Also i have this ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17235__Hobby_King_120A_Sensored_Sensorless_Car_E SC_1_8_1_5_.html
but there is no manual or any instructions. Could the calibration be done through the Traxas menu system? seems like that would be easier cause at least I have a manual for that. 
Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Is the ESC program card setup the same as the Traxxas 2.4 menu system?

Also i have this ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17235__Hobby_King_120A_Sensored_Sensorless_Car_E SC_1_8_1_5_.html
but there is no manual or any instructions. Could the calibration be done through the Traxas menu system? seems like that would be easier cause at least I have a manual for that.
has to be done on the ESC.

and that button on the switch is probably the set button
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X516388X13.pdf heres a manual its for the 100A but someone on another forum who I read has both said its the same exact manual, and steps
Old 01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
DuneDaddy

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ok set it to 50/50
calibrate the ESC

The learning curve is steep! My sons and Iare new to R/C and all of this battery stuff is so confusing. We only have Tamiya brushed cars and trucks so far, but one uses a NiCD and the other is a NiMH, and we have an Onyx 200 (the 200 came with the Hornet my youngest son received as a Bday gift with radio and battery etc) and my Onyx 220. We don't know all of the specs for these 2 batteries, like what to set the trickle rate and a couple other things the 220 does, some can be set to auto though so that helps. Unfortunately, our LHS is not really all that helpful, which sucks for us, but this board is great, and so is YouTube!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM
DuneDaddy

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Also, this goes back to RC101, the transmitter is always the FIRST to turn on and the LAST to turn off. Even though you may not be touching a control the transmitter is still sending out a signal and the car is receiving it. Once that signal is gone, the car has no instruction to follow and may potentially do it's own thing; like run away uncontrollably.
See. Ijust learned something else!

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
kettlecorn

Much thanks to everyone on this forum. Everything is up and running super smooth. Only running a total of 2s right now cause i forgot to get a splitter but my dog chases it. it's fast enough, big enough that she can't destroy it and does EXCELLENT on pure grass. Wet, dry, long short, it's all good