Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savage XL Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL Octane

The HPI Savage is an Award-Winning series of 4x4 monster trucks that continue to push the limits with performance, reliability and ease of use. Now with the release of the new Savage XL Octane, that level of excellence has been raised to new heights. Fans are now treated to a newly updated design of the legendary Savage platform with an awesome gasoline engine that will surprise even the most experienced drivers. The new Savage XL Octane has a host of features that throw the rulebook out and all in a great Ready-To-Run package. This revolutionary new engine will give you more torque plus longer runtime. Combined with the host of new updated performance parts to the legendary Savage platform, the Savage XL Octane will leave all other competitors in the dust!

SAVAGE XL OCTANE FEATURES LIST:

- All-new 15CC gasoline powered “Octane†engine.
- All-new ducted fan design keeps the engine cooler and more efficient.
- All-new tuned pipe matches perfect to the “Octane†engine for increased torque and overall power.
- All-new composite, triple-disc brake system.
- All-new XL truck body with scale detail and thick polycarbonate for increased toughness.
- All-new extra-strength composite roll cage increases durability.
- All-new extra large fuel tank increases the already amazing runtime.
- All-new designed alloy TVP (Twin Vertical Plate) chassis.
- Full-time shaft drive 4WD system for maximum grip, power and acceleration.
- Proven 2-stage, oversized, oil-filled shocks.
- Sealed all-metal differentials with bulletproof bevel gears help tame the massive torque.
- 2.4GHz radio technology.
- Tough dual-stage air filter.
- Heavy-duty cam-type servo saver steering system.
- All-terrain tires w/ standardized Savage 17mm Hex Hubs.
- Proven Savage XL 3 Speed transmission.
- Proven Savage XL suspension uprights.
- Machined Steel Spur Gear.
- High Torque Metal Gear Steering Servo.
- Rechargeable receiver pack and charger.
- Front and rear bumpers help protect against big hits.
- Extra tough slipper clutch for drivetrain security.

http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2012121101/
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Savage XL Octane

I'm lovin the idea of a small gasoline engines. Can't wait to find out more
Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just looking around online, it seems Most 15cc gas motors are just over 2 hp. That not bad.
Wonder if the preformance guys will bring out stroker kits and big bore kits?

I know the bigger 23-30.5cc when they are full mod with a good exhaust pipe can be twice the power of the stock one.
Wonder who will be the first to get 4hp out of one of those babies.... 3hp would still be cool

It's funny tho, my slash is only 0.7hp on 2s... So that new savage should be fast enough for most hobby guys yeah?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

something is making me want to take the engine and slap it in something like a HPI MT2 just to see it go flying.
The MT2 is ludicrously fast with a .28 I'd love to see it on gasoline
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im thinking it would be sweet to drop one in a truggy. Maybe ill have to see if I van pick up a cheap jammin X1 and go to work with my dremel to make it fit.

Claimed hp is one thing. I want to know what kind of rpm that engine is capable of. Most gassers dont get over 15-20k (which is pushing it) so gearing might be tricky with an engine like that.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 AM
steed2-inactive

WOW, a gasoline savage, that is friggen awesome. This engine is going to be a real game changer if the performance is there.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Just looking around online, it seems Most 15cc gas motors are just over 2 hp. That not bad.
Wonder if the preformance guys will bring out stroker kits and big bore kits?

I know the bigger 23-30.5cc when they are full mod with a good exhaust pipe can be twice the power of the stock one.
Wonder who will be the first to get 4hp out of one of those babies.... 3hp would still be cool

It's funny tho, my slash is only 0.7hp on 2s... So that new savage should be fast enough for most hobby guys yeah?
Your brushless motor puts out 0.7hp at 1rpm and at 50,000rpm. A nitro engine only makes 2hp in a very thin range of revs (and the dyno test is EXTREMELY subjective, whereas with electric its just math, so, figure on real output actualy being somewhat less than 2hp), the gearing is actually going to be the trick to this assuming that the motor is up to the task. Already that we know its 3 speed, we're making compromises for the sake of lack of revolutions per minute from the gas engine. I foresee the torque of the gas engine causing problems with these complex 3 speed gearboxes, which will unfortunately be required due to the low final rpm of the engine.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom, but I think HPI have missed the mark yet again (just like traxxas and the XO-1), sure this and the XO-1, great technical achievements, but, er....why? What was the point?

As for putting it in a truggy, yakfish, I doubt you'll want to do that unless you can also make a 3 speed gearbox fit to compensate for the lack of RPM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Max_Power

HP= torque x RPM / 5252 regardless of whether its a locomotive or a brushed 180 motor...HP doesn't exist except as a relative measurement from a mathematical formula...there isn't a way to directly measure horsepower...you have to measure torque and RPM and run the math on it? Are you saying the brushless motor makes 3676 Lb/Ft of torque at 1 RPM?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
steed2-inactive

Foxy was more talking about the linear power delivery of an electric motor compared to the exponential power delivery of an engine. The numbers he was quote were purely hypothetical just to explain the point he was making.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a goped, don't know if you are familiar with those but I put a Zenoah 29rc on it recently and put a high flow air filter, and an aftermarket exhaust from ROC pipes and it will take a grown man that I am and pop the front wheel off the ground with me on it. I feel certain this engine will have loads of mods to upgrade power. I use CAM 2 fuel in the goped and would do the same here, 110 octane and mixed with synthetic oil. It runs cooler and with high compression gives tremendous hp. This is a very interesting development BUT I too fear what that 3 speed trans means with regard to level of possible rpms and also the reliability of the trans itself.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

HP= torque x RPM / 5252 regardless of whether its a locomotive or a brushed 180 motor...HP doesn't exist except as a relative measurement from a mathematical formula...there isn't a way to directly measure horsepower...you have to measure torque and RPM and run the math on it? Are you saying the brushless motor makes 3676 Lb/Ft of torque at 1 RPM?

Source: wikipedia

Horsepower (hp) is the name of several units of measurement of power, the rate at which work is done. The most common conversion factor, especially for electrical power, is 1 hp = 746 watts.
And yes, an electric motor makes the same torque at 1 and 50,000rpm (unloaded)

Lastly, the moeasurement of 'torque' in your formula is highly subjective, that's where manufacturers gain their extra hp points.

Thanks for the assist anyway Steed, indeed, it was more of a theoretical point.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a brushless makes maximum torque at 0 RPM.... from there as the RPM rises the torque decreases.....
Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Foxy

True, I was thinking of the power delivery curve (linear). And again, I realise its not exactly linear in reality due to physical properties, but the theory is linear, more volts=more rpm at max current.

In any case, errors and omissions on my part aside, the point being that an electric motor is making near maximum power throughout its range, as opposed to engines, which have powerbands.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree !!!!

however my thought is this !

it is Not really fair to compare tho...as the BL systems are much heavier and larger then the nitro systems...compare then in equal terms of power density...... in other words limit the weight of the BL system to that of the nitro and see which makes more pop........... The issue with current nitro is they are small engines.. limited more by displacement then anything else...........The technology just has not been put into the larger sized engines..
Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 AM
steed2-inactive

Just looking at the picture, I can already hear the engine bog.....lmao
Old 05-12-2019, 03:12 AM
Anxa29

hello everyone I would like to buy octane savage used as new, I would like to know if it is delicate (differential clutch engine etc) if it has carburation problems and if the engine lasts 15 liters or more.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:58 AM
martinbrown121

I'm lovin the idea of small gasoline engines. Can't wait to find out more