Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Track Jump Templates designs..??

Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Jump Templates designs..??

Just wondering if you have been able to or know of anyone who's been able to make jump templates?

What I'm thinking is a wall of 2x4 or 2x6 cut to the shape of the jump (any jump) mirror imaged, that makes 2 sides. Now bolt both sides (long bolts) x 3 or 4 ways (the width of the track). Place this 'jig' anywhere on the track and fill it with dirt/clay, etc. Compact it down to the shape of the outside walls. then, to shape the face and back of the jump, just drag a long 2x4 across the face and back and badabeenbadaboom!!.....you have a perfect jump.

Am I dreaming??? Or do you have or have you ever heard of a formula to be able to make these 'jigs' or 'shores'?

Your help and sharing of knowledge....as always....is extremely appreciated.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
9five9

Default RE: Track Jump Templates designs..??

I've done something similar to. What you described. It will work short term, but in my experience, packing the dirt gets difficult using this method. You need your dirt to be good and packed if you want it to last. Nothing beats a good shovel and some sweat...lol
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 PM
tommygun32

Thanks 9five9,

Packing the dirt shouldn't be a problem. Bobcat and ride on Bomag (compactor) will be on site.

Did you use a certain formula to figure out the angles or did you just 'eye-ball' it?

Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM
9five9

I know there are formulas out there. I don't use any, just trial and error. I've made enough jumps with the wrong angles to have a decent idea of what will work, and how different vehicles will react to it.