Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

And the fun continues: smoking batteries

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

And the fun continues: smoking batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: And the fun continues: smoking batteries

overcharged. new batteries should never be charged at full rate until after you formation charge them at C/10 another words if its 1000mah then charge it at 100 mah for 10 hrs. best battery info period is found here www.hangtimes.com sorry for your loss. A fully depleated 1700 mah battery would take 1hr at 1.7amp charge which is considered max fast charge.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: And the fun continues: smoking batteries

Charged at 1.2C wouldn't cause a meltdown, but will shorten battery life in the long run. Best to overnight charge at C10 (10%) for 12-16 hours, occasional charge at C50 (50%) when in a rush. The higher the charge rate, the higher the heat in the cells and heat is the pack's enemy. 

I think it was a mechanical problem, something got pinched or an assembly problem in the pack. Go back and offer to buy 2 packs if they will credit 100% of the cost of the bad pack. I really doubt you did anything wrong. I've had a charger malfunction with nimhs, but mine went to very high rate at the start of charge and the wires immediately started to melt. Charger wouldn't work after that. 

You're very lucky, as Nimh packs can explode like a shotgun shell and spew hot shrapnel. They're like M-80's, and make Lipo fires look like small sparklers.