Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Most interesting break-in to-date

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Most interesting break-in to-date

I've decided I'm going to return the 12 volt and get some Lh ipos. I need something reliable I can take to the track. If I were to stay with the stick packs,I would need probably eight of them if I'm at the track (in the event I flooded or something else goes wrong. I looked up 4S, and theAs re sems to be a cariety of them.Asnoted, I'm l

ooking for something reliable I can take to the track.

Ona side note, I had my greatesRC-day that I can remember. My son started the break-in of his new cr, ans it strted up kike a chap!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do none of you run your starter box off of your vehicles battery? That would be the cheapest option no doubt, but not always as easy since you have to be close to your vehicle to do it. Also, I would imagine a deep cycle marine battery would be pretty good and you could keep it in the garage on a trickle charger for whenever it was needed.

Personally, I hate starter boxes. Thats just my opinion though [&:]
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I've decided I'm going to return the 12 volt and get some Lh ipos. I need something reliable I can take to the track. If I were to stay with the stick packs,I would need probably eight of them if I'm at the track (in the event I flooded or something else goes wrong. I looked up 4S, and theAs re sems to be a cariety of them.Asnoted, I'm l

ooking for something reliable I can take to the track.

Ona side note, I had my greatesRC-day that I can remember. My son started the break-in of his new cr, ans it strted up kike a chap!
Did you say that you have a Duratrax Onyx100 charger? It won't charge LiPo batterys.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I never let my 25XZ run out of fuel since it was new.

Not getting all the fuel out of an engine on the last run is inviting trouble. The fuel attracts water (hygroscopic), which mixes with the nitro and produces nitric acid which causes rust. You may get away with it if you run the engine every day. I run the engine out - cars, planes and helis - crank it with a glow driver for a few seconds, then put in a little after-run oil, in my case, Marvel air tool oil. The engine makers recommend running it out also. 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM
supertib

Some fuels you are fine to leave in the engine... What I see is that the methanol and nitro usually evaporate out before the engine fully cools down..just leaving behind the oil which protects the internals......

Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Did you say that you have a Duratrax Onyx100 charger? It won't charge LiPo batterys.
I do have that one, and was going to ask if I needed another charger for LiPos. The stick packs WILLstart it, but as mentioned the problem is I only get so many chances before they run out. I'm really anticipating the alignment pegs I ordered will help, as iwas extremely encouraged when my son started his (new) Losi 8ight on that single motor starter box, with the alignment pegs. Of course, that engine did not have near the compression as this OS does, based on what I saw at least.

How many LiPos would I need to start it, one or two? If I use two, I'm assuming double the power (one for each motor), or will one allowboth motors to reach terminal power?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM
eddieC

Methanol evaporates pretty quick, leaving just the nitro and oil. I'll guess you run that engine fairly often. If you park it for a couple weeks, you'll see a thin film of rust forming. The higher the nitro, the worse it gets. 
Pretty simple science, methanol attracts the water, then evaporates to leave water in the crankcase. Plenty of empirical evidence to back it up. Manufacturers recommend this procedure, are you saying they're wrong? 
I've been in RC since '68, and if I forget to properly run out a nitro engine it will show rust. Fuels with higher castor percentages have lower incidence of rust, but engines running pure castor can rust. 

What's the longest you've parked an engine?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Methanol evaporates pretty quick, leaving just the nitro and oil. I'll guess you run that engine fairly often. If you park it for a couple weeks, you'll see a thin film of rust forming. The higher the nitro, the worse it gets.
Pretty simple science, methanol attracts the water, then evaporates to leave water in the crankcase. Plenty of empirical evidence to back it up. Manufacturers recommend this procedure, are you saying they're wrong?
I've been in RC since '68, and if I forget to properly run out a nitro engine it will show rust. Fuels with higher castor percentages have lower incidence of rust, but engines running pure castor can rust.

What's the longest you've parked an engine?

I have engines parked for over a year with no rust...... I own hundreds of engines dude, and have been burning nitro since since 1985..... methanol wont attract water if it evaporates out in the first few minutes.... I can open a engine 10 minutes after running it and the liquid inside is not flammable, the methanol and nitro are all gone.............

I can go to my shop and pop open a few engines and take pics..... I never run the fuel out of my engines and I don't use afterun.........My older type of fuel would end up gumming up the engines if left to long, but never any rust....

The worst rustiest engines I have seen are the the ones that were run dry and left unprotected...

to each their own, but I like leaving my engines wet as I feel the oil in the fuel protects them better then any afterun would
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have as much experience as some, but based on what experience I do have, I don't think it makes much difference if you run it dry or not.. I used to do it all the time, now I try to leave some fuel in. I do use ARO when they sit for a long time. But all in all I've never noticed any of the above making a difference one way or the other...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have that one, and was going to ask if I needed another charger for LiPos. The stick packs WILLstart it, but as mentioned the problem is I only get so many chances before they run out. I'm really anticipating the alignment pegs I ordered will help, as iwas extremely encouraged when my son started his (new) Losi 8ight on that single motor starter box, with the alignment pegs. Of course, that engine did not have near the compression as this OS does, based on what I saw at least.

How many LiPos would I need to start it, one or two? If I use two, I'm assuming double the power (one for each motor), or will one allowboth motors to reach terminal power?
either way Two 2cell or One 4cell will get you the same power But your going to have to resolder your box because id not trust the tamiya connectors

PS. told ya so =P

Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM
eddieC

I have engines parked for over a year with no rust...... I own hundreds of engines dude, and have been burning nitro since since 1985..... methanol wont attract water if it evaporates out in the first few minutes.... I can open a engine 10 minutes after running it and the liquid inside is not flammable, the methanol and nitro are all gone.............

I can go to my shop and pop open a few engines and take pics..... I never run the fuel out of my engines and I don't use afterun.........My older type of fuel would end up gumming up the engines if left to long, but never any rust....

The worst rustiest engines I have seen are the the ones that were run dry and left unprotected...

to each their own, but I like leaving my engines wet as I feel the oil in the fuel protects them better then any afterun would 

Don't get your panties in a wad, dude. One person's experience is just that. Humidity is the big factor, and if your shop is air-conditioned or you're in a dry environment that's a help, as is running some castor mix. If running-out an engine is the culprit, then why do engines that haven't been run dry still get rust? Your situation is evidently unique. 

I have found no manufacturer that recommends leaving an engine wet as you do. Clarence Lee never recommends it. We have pattern guys in our club that have worn out 3&4 sets of bearings on 20-yr-old engines that run them out and use ARO in the off season. Oils can drain away, especially synthetics. I understand you have the business, but recommending it gospel truth flies in the face of manufacturers recommendations, ;science and most empirical data. I will agree that some oil is left after running out, but oil drains off and nitro evaporates very slowly. We run higher oil content in plane & heli fuel and still see rust issues. 

I have at least 10 engines that are 20+yrs that haven't had rust issues and they fly every season. 

The evidence is against your unique experience on this. I'm not going to change your opinion, just don't want others out there thinking that 'put it away wet' is best practice. 

I fly full-scale and the local engine shop has a name for folks who don't follow established practices or mfgr recs:

Customers. 
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
nitroexpress

If your stick packs are in good shape and of adequate capacity, you should be able to go a full day. In a pinch, they can be recharged at the track. But if you're set on ditching your charger and stick packs in order to go LiPo, good luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
JohnP2

If your stick packs are in good shape and of adequate capacity, you should be able to go a full day. In a pinch, they can be recharged at the track. But if you're set on ditching your charger and stick packs in order to go LiPo, good luck.
Good luck with what? I really wish folks on here would throw down some concrete advice instead of this "here's how I do it, anything else is wrong". I'm not calling you out specifically (you've typically been the type to help), but let's throw it on the table, sir. Why do you say "good luck"? Is it because you don't feel there will be much of a difference, or do you feelthe it's not worth it, or what? I'm quick to tout things Ihave experienced and enjoyed but have never (or least hope not) tell someone "Oh, you're gonna use an OS #6 plug on your Hyper 7? Good luck".

Once again, please do not think this is directed at you, sir. Instead it's directed at the overriding immensely immature and punk-like attitude that some of the sit-at-home experts get when things are not exactly as have done.

I do think (actually I know)the sitck packs can do the job. However, if there is a a much better way, I'm open to it, of course. It would have to turn the wheel twice as fast for twice as long for me to have any interest.

At the same time, I don't want to get a LiPo just because everyone says it is the best. I'm not interested in having "the best". Instead,I just want something that is twice as good as the 7.2 stick packs. When I hear folks have sitck-packs for years without problems, Iwonder "why the hell do people get LiPos then?'

As noted, IrealizinI am venting, but do not take toward you NitroExpressI I know words on forums such as this can come out wrong, and gettired of filtering through a"ll the :"I know more than the next guy" mentality and consequently, if one deviates fromwhat YOUdo....then it must be wrong

Yes I understand that I am still a "newbie", but know one thing: this is not my first rodeo. In factitwould not surpise me to find I have as much - if not more - knowledge on Nitro RCsthan some of the-mouths on herewhopop off at the drop of a hat but inreality onlyhave 1-2 carsand are better at teaching than doing! They really aren't RC experts, but they love playing one on the Internet. And instead of simply sayin "Here is what I think and why", their true insecure colors come out.

My son and I have accompished a lot in just one year, and I am CONFIDENT this will only exponentiate otver the next 12 months due to determination and passion we have for "the hobby".. All we can do is learn, and continue to learn....and then learn some more (it will never stop, as least I hope not). The best wayt to do this isby doing. However I will ALWAYSapproaxch "the hobby" with an open mind and not **** with someone's decision making just because I might do it differently or have another oponion.

It's just like the OSe. Someobne (don't remembver who) made a comment "If wheel spin is your thing this engine is for you." However, after I pleaded. this person could not back up his statement at all. ***? Why would someonehave such a bold opinon and not back it up with FACTS

Ugh!!!!! Okay, I feel better. Foxy, feel dree to delete this if you feel warranted. It's turned into a pissing match and I'm getting fed up. I will post my LiPo question in a seperatre thread. Hopefully folks won't have this "I told you so"...or."If you do this your nuts type responses" Just bemen (i.e. ACT like men))
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Don't get your panties in a wad, dude. One person's experience is just that. Humidity is the big factor, and if your shop is air-conditioned or you're in a dry environment that's a help, as is running some castor mix. If running-out an engine is the culprit, then why do engines that haven't been run dry still get rust? Your situation is evidently unique.

I have found no manufacturer that recommends leaving an engine wet as you do. Clarence Lee never recommends it. We have pattern guys in our club that have worn out 3&4 sets of bearings on 20-yr-old engines that run them out and use ARO in the off season. Oils can drain away, especially synthetics. I understand you have the business, but recommending it gospel truth flies in the face of manufacturers recommendations, ;science and most empirical data. I will agree that some oil is left after running out, but oil drains off and nitro evaporates very slowly. We run higher oil content in plane & heli fuel and still see rust issues.

I have at least 10 engines that are 20+yrs that haven't had rust issues and they fly every season.

The evidence is against your unique experience on this. I'm not going to change your opinion, just don't want others out there thinking that 'put it away wet' is best practice.

I fly full-scale and the local engine shop has a name for folks who don't follow established practices or mfgr recs:

Customers.

LOL @ me being a customer !

my panties are not in a knot....I just think your info is not 100% correct ! if you ran some of the high grade fuels like I run you wouldn't have had the rust issues you have seen

and no I am not angry in any way shape or form.......I just don't agree with what you are saying ! and there are plenty of others like me who also agree...maybe because we are using more exotic oils in our fuels......

Also I live in Manitoba, its very humid here........not Hawaii humid, but definitely anything but dry........

Also I have to say the rustiest engines I have seen are from the guys who run them dry then use ARO......but that may also be because they were in humid climates or used crappy fuel, or only put ARO in before they hit my shop...

I also believe we are using more advanced oils in what we do then you aircraft guys do... We are running .21 sized engines up to 45 000 RPM and using fuels as low as 4.5 % oil and 30% nitro...My test Bonito is 2 seasons old, 17 gallons of use, and shows only 0.0005" wear on the crankpin......I have of course serviced the engine over its life, bearings, rods, sleeve honing and resizing, piston lapping etc...But the crankpin is still nearly like new and that engine hits 42 000 RPM all the time.....

And once again I am not angry or looking for a fight...I Am just pretty confident in in the results I have seen over the years working with hundreds if not thousands of engines...... I deal with people all over the globe in all kinds of climates......so i am not talking out my ass on this......Several other engine modders also agree with me too...... But they also like me use very high grade fuels with very high grade oils.....

The manufactures give out generalized instructions that they aim to cover the basics ...they can't possibly account for all the different possibilities and behaviors of the different fuels.......Sometimes what the factories recommend is not always the best advice....like they always recommend running high oil content fuels.... Nova recommends I think like 14% oil for their offroads...Under the assumption all that extra oil will protect the engine...when in reality all that extra oil usually ends up leading to engine damage from detonation....Most people do much better and have much better engine lifespans running what would be considered a low oil fuel by traditional standards.....Why is this ? well low oil fuels tune very easilly...you dont need to run them lean to get a crispy throttle response.... with high oil fuel the only way to make it run crispy is to lean the mixture down and increase temperature...which usually ends up leading to detonation..... Guys will chase the needles all day long on a high oil fuel, juggling between blubbery and too lean and never finding the sweet spot in between, as the tuning window on a high oil fuel is extremely narrow.........By contrast a low oil fuel has a very wide tuning window, and it can be run with a very rich mixture and still give crispy engine performance.....At a lower temperature..... Which results in guys finding the tune easier and not being being forced into leaning the engine down..... Also the oil in the fuel causes detonation, the more oil in the mixture the lower the threshold for detonation.....which is really a bad thing when the only way to get crispy throttle is to run lean because the oil content is so high...which results in damaged engines..... Over all my years modding engines I have seen far more damaged engines from detonation and high oil cheap fuel then I have seen worn engines being run on low oil fuel...............Yet the manufacturers would still recommend we run 15 % oil...... yet I would rather a novice run 8% oil then run 15% oil any day of the week, he will find tuning much much easier to figure out.......
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
echthelion

Good luck with what? I really wish folks on here would throw down some concrete advice instead of this "here's how I do it, anything else is wrong". I'm not calling you out specifically (you've typically been the type to help), but let's throw it on the table, sir. Why do you say "good luck"? Is it because you don't feel there will be much of a difference, or do you feelthe it's not worth it, or what? I'm quick to tout things Ihave experienced and enjoyed but have never (or least hope not) tell someone "Oh, you're gonna use an OS #6 plug on your Hyper 7? Good luck".

Once again, please do not think this is directed at you, sir. Instead it's directed at this immensely immature and punk-like attitudeI folks get when things are not exactly as they do them.

I do think (actually I know)the sitck packs can do the job. However, if there is an immensely better way, I'm open to it. It would have to turn the wheel twice as fast for twice as long for me to have any interest.

At the same time, I don't want to get a LiPo just because everyone says it is the best. I'm not interested in having "the best" Instead, just want something that will WORK. When I hear folks have sitck=packs for years without problems, Iwonder "why the hell do people get LiPos then?'

As noted, IrealizinI am venting, but do not take toward you NitroExpressI I know words on forums such as this can come out wrong, and gettired of filtering through a"ll the :"I know more than the next guy" mentality and consequently, if one deviates fromwhat YOUdo....then it must be wrong.

Yes I understand that I am still a noobie, but know this is not my first rodeo In factitwould not surpise me to find I have as much - if not more - knowledge on Nitro RCsthen some of these punks on herewhopop off at the mouth but inreality onlyhave 1-2 carsand are better at teaching than doing!

While we are still "newbies: my son and I have accompished a lot in just one year, and AM CONFIDENT this will expoynentiate otver the next 12 months. All we can do is learn - by doing. However I will ALWAYSapproaxch "the hobby" with an open mind and not **** with someone's decision making just because I might do it differently or have another oponion.

It's just like the OS. Someobne (don't remembver who) made a comment "If wheel spin is your thing this engine is for you." However, after I pleaded. this person could not back up his statement at all. ***? Why would someonehave such a bold opinon and not back it up with FACTS

Ugh!!!!! Okay, I feel better. Foxy, feel dree to delete this if you feel warranted. It's turned into a pissing match and I'm getting fed up. I will post my LiPo question in a seperatre thread. Hopefully folks won't have this "I told you so"...or."If you do this your nuts type responses" Just bemen (i.e. ACT like men))
no hard feelings here tho i didnt want it to come off "punky" but its hard having a light hearted tone with typed words

its just with me its déjà vu i did the EXACT samething with chargers and batterys
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: echelionno hard feelings here tho i didnt want it to come off "punky" but its hard having a light hearted tone with typed words

its just with me its déjà vu i did the EXACT samething with chargers and batterys
no-no. You are fine, as everyone else on this thread. I am not venting at any one person. Mainly the concept. There are only 1-2 on here I see who constantly ofer NOTHING to this forum with shallow disagreements (and you are not one. Please noone take offense asmy frustration is toward thedeed, not any person. I'm over it anyway ;[-)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
echthelion

ORIGINAL: echelionno hard feelings here tho i didnt want it to come off "punky" but its hard having a light hearted tone with typed words

no-no. You are fine, as everyone else on this thread. I am not venting at any one person. Mainly the concept. There are only 1-2 on here I see who constantly ofer NOTHING to this forum with shallow disagreements (and you are not one. Please noone take offense asmy frustration is toward thedeed, not any person. I'm over it anyway ;[-)
no worrys

but i felt i should speak up because of my "i told you so"

anytime someone gets frustrated it can take away some of the fun of being on this fourm (been there)just wanted to make sure if it was me i somewhat cleared it up
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: echelionno hard feelings here tho i didnt want it to come off ''punky'' but its hard having a light hearted tone with typed words

its just with me its déjÃ* vu i did the EXACT samething with chargers and batterys
no-no. You are fine, as everyone else on this thread. I am not venting at any one person. Mainly the concept. There are only 1-2 on here I see who constantly ofer NOTHING to this forum with shallow disagreements (and you are not one. Please no one take offense as my frustration is toward the deed, not any person. I'm over it anyway ;[-)

But other then some hickups how are you liking truggy so far ?

As you know they are by far my favorite platform..... But to be any fun you need to run a big engine IMO...with a weak engine they are only so so, you need enough power to make them unstable...which a OS 25 has !!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: supertib

As you know they are by far my favorite platform..... But to be any fun you need to run a big engine IMO...with a weak engine they are only so so, you need enough power to make them unstable...which a OS 25 has !!!!!
I am LOVINGit. The truggy turns on a dime (it's really low to the ground - I need a set of digital calipers).

The engine. Oh my! Flat out scary. People were coming out of their houses to check it out, as it is LOUD! I got it up to speeds where Isaid "that's enough" and quickly let off the throttle. At one point I did a wheelie, which i did not expect. Once Iget the starter box issues worked out, taking it to the track!!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: supertib

I am LOVING it. The truggy turns on a dime (it's really low to the ground - I need a set of digital calipers).

The engine. Oh my! Flat out scary. People were coming out of their houses to check it out, as it is LOUD! I got it up to speeds where I said ''that's enough'' and quickly let off the throttle. At one point I did a wheelie, which i did not expect. Once I get the starter box issues worked out, taking it to the track!!

they sure do handle good don't they !
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Ttowntoolman

John, have you done anything to resolve your starter box power issues man? You never did answer one of my questions.......do you have it wired for 14.4 volts or just 7.2? If this was a kit and you had to hook it up and do wiring you may have hooked it up running with only 7.2 volts. Do the motors spin in your starter box when you put only one battery in it and try and activate it? (stick pack)

Should be wired so that positive (red) wire on battery #1 is conected to the starter box (red). Negative (black) wire on battery #1 should be looped to positive (red) wire on battery #2. Negative (black) wire on battery #2 should go to other source wire on bump box (black).

If your box is wired correctly, it will not function with just one stick pack hooked up.

I dont like stick packs because they were always dead or dying on me at the track. I always have three cars to start on my box(ofna chrome top) every time I go racing, I take the boys. This having to charge between heats got to be a hassle for me because there was always something else I should be doing. I already owned lipo batts so I dropped one of my 3 cell lipos into my box and have loved it since. The box became lighter to carry around and very dependable. Now my boys use it, I use it and a few other guys ask to use it as I leave it sitting next to the pits.

Be carefull with that OS, it been known to eat small pets if not kept on a leash! J/K