Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

2wd Short Course Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd Short Course Trucks

So checking these, they look pretty cool. IF I were to get one, I would love to get a 4WD one, but currently they are out of budget. But a 2wd Associated one isn't. So my question is...How do these handle with rear wheel drive only with a 2s lipo and a brushless motor? Do they spin out a lot? Can they handle grass/dirt/pebbles ok in 2wd? What about pavement? I know, my recent posts have been about looking at new RC's, and I've been all over looking at the 1/16 Summit, 2wd brushless short courses. Just haven't found "the one" yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 2wd Short Course Trucks

If you have the right tires for the surface then 2wd SC handle betrer rhanbyoudnthink. Their wheelbase is kinda on the long side so it helps with stability. Power sliding is usually predictable which make it more fun to do.

Pardon the spelling, Im using a phone.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
cumminspower5.9

So would some like badlands or trenchers fit on SC rims? Something along tha line tread wise?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
BKoz559

They make both of those in SC sizes. You can buy almost any tread style for SC rims.

Unlike the B4 and T4 which share many chassis components with rhe SC10, the SC has a longer pan which helps tame the donut tendancy 2wds are known for.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
cumminspower5.9

Oh ok. So in a comparison, how would a 2wd SC truck handle and drive compared to my all stock Flux XS?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
BKoz559

Hmm. The XS would still drift easier because of the 4wd but its wheelbase is relatively sjort compared ro its width. Ive never driven a XS so its hard to say. I would bet rhan the SC will corner flatter because of the lower CG and thus be more nimble. It should be easier to rotate it throuh the turns.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
cumminspower5.9

Yea the XS doesn't turn that well under power, and it needs to be going slow so... I just thought a SC truck would be different than a buggy and MT, which I have already had. I like the size too, pretty long and big, so it will have a much larger footprint than my XS
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Yea the XS doesn't turn that well under power, and it needs to be going slow so... I just thought a SC truck would be different than a buggy and MT, which I have already had. I like the size too, pretty long and big, so it will have a much larger footprint than my XS
with 2wd SCT trucks, its all about setup.
Ive seen the same model trucks at the track understeer (push) and oversteer(spin out) The shock, camber, tire, battery placement ect all will change how the truck wants to act.
Im working now on my ECX torment. My buddy has a losi XXX and it turns tighter. His rear will slightly step out allowing it to turn tighter. My truck will push or understeer, so my turns are wider and slower.

As mentioned above, their longer wheel base does make them more stable than say, a 2wd rustler vxl.

And even tho they are SC, you can slap any 2.2 tire you like...and make it into a 2wd monster truck (sortof anyway)

I will say, that a SCT leaning hard into a corner around a track looks totally awsome.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM
cumminspower5.9

So between the slash, associated sc10, which is the better truck in the two wheel drive option? Associated also has the prolite sc truck for $350. Not a bad price.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

So between the slash, associated sc10, which is the better truck in the two wheel drive option? Associated also has the prolite sc truck for $350. Not a bad price.
slash is a basher. High CG. lots of aftermarket support.
sc10 is more of a racing chassis, lower ground clearance, better handling, decent aftermarket support.

will you race more, or bash more?

gonna go brushed, or brushless?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

slash is a basher. High CG. lots of aftermarket support.
sc10 is more of a racing chassis, lower ground clearance, better handling, decent aftermarket support.

will you race more, or bash more?

gonna go brushed, or brushless?
I don't race at all so it will be just a basher. I want brushless, 2wd is OK, but I would rather 4wd at the right price. I'll be running 2s lipo also. All traxxas is selling is the slash with lipo and charger which I don't need.. And at a crazy price. Associated
Has the prolite which is brush less and 4wd for $350 RTR which is a good price.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the associated prolite is a pretty tough vehicle from what I have seen, though the body posts are weak and I don;t know how parts support and upgrades are as its a new truck (shaft driven too)

don't forget the hpi blitz, based in hpi e-firestorm

do you plan on racing or bashing or both?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM
BKoz559

I'm not just saying this because I personally prefer Associated vehicles but, you made a good point about the Prolite truck. It's 4x4, brushless, RTR, made by Associated, can be raced effectively at club tracks or bashed at the local park just the same and the price is reasonable. It sounds like a very solid option to consider. As you noted, the Slash starts at $450, a Losi Ten-SCTE is about the same price, HPI doesn't offer a 4x4 SC unless you look at the Apache 1/8 which is about $600.

Otherwise you can talk to nitrosportsandrunner about what Redcat options are available in that range. If you're so inclined, you can pickup an Ofna NeXX roller for about $250 and install your own electronics.

Buy it from Tower Hobbies and use code 016AP until the end of the month and it discounts the truck $20.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind SCT mainly the Slashes are great bashes in stock form
They handle most surfaces with no major problems.

Now let's talk brushless SCT's....

Totally different story.
SCT's don't like high speed turns.... Huge tendency to roll over.
Sure u can limit the suspension and set it up really low so it won't, but then what's the point of getting a SCT in the first place?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 AM
cumminspower5.9

Lot of different opinions on the SC trucks. I was loking at them cause the only other RC I was looking at was the mini Summit VXL 4x4. I figured for the same price, I can pick up a 1/10 2wd brushless SC which is much bigger. Just thought a SC would be different. I would probably get used to the cornering, as my XS does not turn very well at speeds. But I would throw some Pro-Line Badlands on the SC as well. I'm thinking if I do get one, I would either be the Associated SC10 brushless 2wd (pro Comp body) or for $50 more, the 4x4 ProLite SC10. I've already got lipos, so I would just need better tires for bashing.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM
cumminspower5.9

In addition, are all the Associated SC trucks belt drive?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
BKoz559

The SC10 4x4 is belt-drive, the Prolite is shaft.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 AM
cumminspower5.9

Not so sure I'm inot the whole belt drive with a 2s powered brushless system. I would rather the shaft drive. Looks like the Prolite is the only option.