Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

which SCT for me?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: which SCT for me?

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ok im lost lol

this is the most contradicting thread ive ever read

Does this mean u have realised that a cheap lowend brand SCT will never match the big brand boys in preformance & durability?
NOPE
I will be running and tuning both the sc10 and the torment. Then Ill decide.
I am sure if I went to the friday night races with my torment I wouldnt do that well with it. Not against guys with sc10/blitz/xxx who have many hours of track time.
But against my buddy, who has the same amount of track time I do, the difference between my torment as it is now (camber links and new shocks) and his box stock losi XXX is not as huge as one might think.
Right now, I think the XXX tires are the factor giving his truck the advantage. I know that CG plays a part. But the stock XXX tires are way better compond for the track than the torments (which are hard for long wear)

It would be nice to have transponders so we could compare lap times and such.

But this wednesday Ill give the torment and sc10 equal track time and let you know what I think. I dont have cash right now for new tires, so the torment and sc10 will share the torment tires. That should give me a good comparison of the chassis' themselves. both in handling and in durability. Both trucks are well used, and will share the same tires. So it should be an interesting comparison.

The sc10 is brushless, but when I get some cash I would put a brushed system in it. My buddies XXX is brushed and for our small track brushed is plenty fast. More speed on that track will just mean more crash damage...LOL.

A few places I read say the sc10 is tough. So this thread wasnt a waste, I did take that feedback into consideration before buying the sc10. Tho its low price was also a major factor.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM
kyleshrub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner
Right now, I think the XXX tires are the factor giving his truck the advantage. I know that CG plays a part. But the stock XXX tires are way better compond for the track than the torments (which are hard for long wear)
Not a chance.
If you could swap tires the XXX would still be able to run rings around the ECX.Putting Ferrari tires on a Prius, you've still got a Prius.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: kyleshrub

Not a chance.
If you could swap tires the XXX would still be able to run rings around the ECX. Putting Ferrari tires on a Prius, you've still got a Prius.

that analogy doesnt work here. Both trucks have the same motor/esc/battery and thus power.
the difference between them is handling and not power. So tires play a much larger roll in the difference between them.
Also, Im speaking of a box stock XXX. Nothing changed, nothing tuned. I dont doubt that a well tuned XXX in the hands of a very good driver would smoke the torment. But its a box stock XXX in the hands of a driver the same skill level as myself.

Perhaps I dont mind the torment (or think its as lowly as some do) because my skill level hasnt exceeded the capabilities of the truck??? I mean, I want it to turn in alittle better and rotate the rear some, but I dont doubt that soem tires and addtional suspesnion adjustments can do that.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
kyleshrub

Not a chance.
If you could swap tires the XXX would still be able to run rings around the ECX.Putting Ferrari tires on a Prius, you've still got a Prius.

that analogy doesnt work here. Both trucks have the same motor/esc/battery and thus power.
the difference between them is handling and not power. So tires play a much larger roll in the difference between them.
Also, Im speaking of a box stock XXX. Nothing changed, nothing tuned. I dont doubt that a well tuned XXX in the hands of a very good driver would smoke the torment. But its a box stock XXX in the hands of a driver the same skill level as myself.

Perhaps I dont mind the torment (or think its as lowly as some do) because my skill level hasnt exceeded the capabilities of the truck??? I mean, I want it to turn in alittle better and rotate the rear some, but I dont doubt that soem tires and addtional suspesnion adjustments can do that.
Sorry, you may not want to hear it, but your analogy is what doesn't work. Anybody with any level of experience would know better.
You're the one asking for advice. I can't help it if you don't want to hear it.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I understand the SC10 is going to be completly different with its handling, its got a ton of steering and turn it unlike the EXC.

I think u should be able to get more turn it with only minor tweeks, well providing the front is not to heavy.
personally i would start with the front suspension. by the sounds it needs more front grip and less rear?
keep going lower with shock oil, pre load, spring rates. untill u get some good front traction just on the limit of it tiping over. A 2wd SCT bicycling is not fun
When u get the front sused, play with the rear camber, then fine tune with oil.
wouldent fuss to much with timing laps just yet. If u think ur driving is getting very consistant then its worth it.
for the mean time just really watch and feel the car, dont be scared to get on the track (if u can) to have a close look at how it looks through some bends and how much it is squating down the straight.

what KV motor is in the sc10? my mates 3000kv slash is not really any faster than a brushed slash, just more efficent. he runs a Slash only race meet every week end and has 5 slashes that he rents out to kids... awsome idea i thought. But yeah the brushless ones are limited to 2s on 3000kv to keep the playing feildmore even
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

had the sc10 on the track today.
tires are poor, but I could still get it around the track at about the same speed as the torment.
That is, until 5 minutes in when the diff gears started going[:@]
I bought replacement gears. Still trying to decide if I want to keep it. I hate how they use soo much odd sized parts. front wheels dont use a hex (was gonna put torment tires on the sc10, but couldnt) the wheel nuts are larger than normal and the nuts that hold the steering ball in place are smaller than normal.
Why is it that a company making a "race" truck feels they have to use a bunch of parts that are not standard.

Torment ran good until a driveshaft snapped. Ive had the same driveshafts for over 6 months so I wasnt surprised it broke. bought slash shafts and back to racing.
At the end of the day, a steering hub broke. The slash adjustable steering links means there is less give (over the stock plastic links) but the adjustablility is worth it I guess.

The losi XXX also broke a steering hub. My friend had to borrow $15 so he could keep running.

Guess all that is just part of racing.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM
nitroexpress

well, today I saw the difference between a ECX torment and a losi XXX. On a tight SCT track the torment simply cant turn as well.
My and my buddy have the same ESC/motor and battery. But the ECX just wouldnt turn as well.

So now I wanna buy a more competitive truck. dont want a XXX, since my buddy has one and his does seem to break alot.

That leaves, SC10-blitz-slash-the arrma SCT truck.....and?

Here is my main issue, I want a race worthy truck that is not fragile. My torment takes a beating because all the parts can flex alot...good for bashing, not as much for racing.

I want a truck that has a "happy medium". I wont bash it, but dont want it to break every time I hit the wall.

My buddy's XXX has broken the front lower chassis plate, the servo died, and the steering links have popped of many times.....all within the 1st 6 lipo packs.

So, what do you suggest? Can the slash be race worthy...without buying a $100 LCG chassis? Is the blitz or SC10 tougher than the XXX? Anyone tried the arrma SCT on a race track?

oh, another one, anyone run the ofna TS2? I hear ofna nitros are pretty tough.
Not cheap, but at the top of the heap. Tekno RC SCT410
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM
kyleshrub

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress
What?
Does anyone even have one yet?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well, today I saw the difference between a ECX torment and a losi XXX. On a tight SCT track the torment simply cant turn as well.
My and my buddy have the same ESC/motor and battery. But the ECX just wouldnt turn as well.

So now I wanna buy a more competitive truck. dont want a XXX, since my buddy has one and his does seem to break alot.

That leaves, SC10-blitz-slash-the arrma SCT truck.....and?

Here is my main issue, I want a race worthy truck that is not fragile. My torment takes a beating because all the parts can flex alot...good for bashing, not as much for racing.

I want a truck that has a ''happy medium''. I wont bash it, but dont want it to break every time I hit the wall.

My buddy's XXX has broken the front lower chassis plate, the servo died, and the steering links have popped of many times.....all within the 1st 6 lipo packs.

So, what do you suggest? Can the slash be race worthy...without buying a $100 LCG chassis? Is the blitz or SC10 tougher than the XXX? Anyone tried the arrma SCT on a race track?

oh, another one, anyone run the ofna TS2? I hear ofna nitros are pretty tough.
LOL, I wanna have some fun at the track with my buddies, not make my familly starve.
Ive only ever spent that kinda cash on an RC once, and it was a 1/5 scale RTR gasser.
I certainly wouldnt spend that much on a kit.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM
nitroexpress

What?

I don't have one, but they are for sale. Check the Shortcourse forums for impressions.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
kyleshrub

What?

I don't have one, but they are for sale. Check the Shortcourse forums for impressions.

If you don't have one, then why would you call them "top of the heap" ?
They only started shipping this week, so nobody has any impressions that are realistic.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
nitroexpress

What?

They only started shipping this week, so nobody has any impressions that are realistic.

Not true. That pic was from a Tekno that has been running. There are several that run at NorCalHobbies track. I could give links, but it is frowned on by the mods here.

Best I can do is YouTube. In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'm not paying the high price and neither are you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFedpPMGRuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ouzY9Z_OX4
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
kyleshrub

What?

Not true. That pic was from a Tekno that has been running. There are several that run at NorCalHobbies track. I could give links, but it is frowned on by the mods here.

Best I can do is YouTube. In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'm not paying the high price and neither are you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFedpPMGRuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ouzY9Z_OX4
It's rather routine for manufacturers to do months of research and development and other testing, prior to releasing a product.It still means nothing.
Anything can look good in the hands of a team driver.

If I can afford a $370 2wd SCT, I can darn sure afford a $400 4wd SCT.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
nitroexpress

It's rather routine for manufacturers to do months of research and development and other testing, prior to releasing a product.It still means nothing.

A $370 2wd SCT? Which one would that be?

BTW, the second link was to a Sportsman level race. Hardly a factory driver.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

It's rather routine for manufacturers to do months of research and development and other testing, prior to releasing a product. It still means nothing.

I had googled the tekno rc sct410 and just saw the price. Didnt notice it was a 4wd. But I didnt want a 4wd either.
Even so, I dont think Ill ever see the day when I pay $400 for a kit. Even if I had the money that still just seems like a waste. I can have the same fun with much less expensive models.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
kyleshrub

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...ProdId=TLR0024

Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
kyleshrub

I had googled the tekno rc sct410 and just saw the price. Didnt notice it was a 4wd. But I didnt want a 4wd either.
Even so, I dont think Ill ever see the day when I pay $400 for a kit. Even if I had the money that still just seems like a waste. I can have the same fun with much less expensive models.
If all you're doing is bashing, you're right, it would be a waste. And you being a redcat dealer, you can get any of their cheap trucks for wholesale anyway.