Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro vs Electric

As a long standing nitro racer (25 years of 1/8 nitro buggy, 1/10 nitro truck, unlimited oval, 1/10 nitro on-road, nitro sedan) and a long standing electric racer (1/12, 1/10 pan, sedan, mini, 1/10 buggy, SCT, 1/10 ST, etc.) I have to say that all things equal, electric will outperform on the race track regardless of track configuration.

I know several racers with both electric and nitro eighth scale buggies. Their lap times with the electric are consistently faster. Having instant torque on a loose track helps when you roll through a corner and snap the throttle when you exit. Setting the speed control profiles for track conditions (limit max current, acceleration curves, braking profiles too).

I still have over 40 nitros in my collection, but for serious racing, brushless is where I choose to spend my money.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

You seem to have a very cheesy obsession with POWER. POWER IS BETTER!! bla bla.. Yeah, we get it.

Insofar as you're talking about racing on tracks in the real world...., it's not all about power.

And anyway, all this hysterical ranting on about ''power'', like some jet freak barking down the throats of people who still enjoy running prop airplanes, thank you very much.. Sorry foxy - it's a stupid soapbox to stand on - ''my RC car has more POWER than yours - and is therefore better...'' - and in any case just perpetuates the whole stupid nitro vs. electric nonsense..
lol. Just, lol. You're worth the membership fee here alone, you know that?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Exactly - the only place an electric really wins in speed is on a 1/4 mile stretch of straight pavement..

I've only ever been a slacker club racer at the local track, but more power is the last thing I need to become faster racing. Maybe the top %5 of buggy racers can really take advantage of the power of the higher end nitro engines. The rest are spinning tires, and getting out of position, making mistakes, etc.. from too much power.. - nitro power. Insofar as you're talking about 1/8 buggy offroad racing, most nitro engines are TOO poweful to get the best laptimes.
Sounds like a driver issue and poor setup. Since we are on the "more power" issue for a few posts, I have definitely seen more standing backflips out of an electric RC than a nitro RC. Electric is pulling max amps at low throttle all the way thru max throttle.Nitroengines can be quick with a goodsetup and gearing,but I don'tsee a 1/8nitro pulling on a 22.2vlipo powered1/8 buggy.I don't care what motor and mods you have done to it.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: i8tweety

As a long standing nitro racer (25 years of 1/8 nitro buggy, 1/10 nitro truck, unlimited oval, 1/10 nitro on-road, nitro sedan) and a long standing electric racer (1/12, 1/10 pan, sedan, mini, 1/10 buggy, SCT, 1/10 ST, etc.) I have to say that all things equal, electric will outperform on the race track regardless of track configuration.

I know several racers with both electric and nitro eighth scale buggies. Their lap times with the electric are consistently faster. Having instant torque on a loose track helps when you roll through a corner and snap the throttle when you exit. Setting the speed control profiles for track conditions (limit max current, acceleration curves, braking profiles too).

I still have over 40 nitros in my collection, but for serious racing, brushless is where I choose to spend my money.
I only got one nitro left, but then I don't keep my models, I try to hover around the 10 mark. if I did I would have perhaps a hundred cars now, and 90% of them would be nitro.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Ttowntoolman

We have an outlaw class dirt oval 1/8th scale latemodel, no one with electric can compete in this class either, PERIOD! If MR FOXY would like to try I would gladly let him stay @ my house for a race weekend. I would gladly pay for his meals for the weekend also, I will even pay for your entry fee to bring that 6s monster here and show us how. I have a couple extra latemodel bodies..........The biggest nitro engine running here is only a little bitty .28.............You win I pay for your airline tickets........
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

John, is this what you expected? Lol what a can of worms you popped open
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
sparky 25

Now we're just getting ridiculous,

Way too many Toys are being thrown out of the pram.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: t-max97

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Come on foxy I think your the one being a bit biased, Its ALL a matter of opinion you cant write down pro's and cons for each because everyone's list would be different. And I dont think the hobbies status should be measured by how many over priced electrics traxxas sales.
I promise you I'm not biased. Tell me, what's better, more power or less power?
Depends on the circumstances and the vehicle, if you keep adding power to something its going to fail somewhere, and electric isn't always more powerfull than nitro. Sure if you go get a high end brushless lipo setup it will typically beat a high end nitro in a drag race but more power isn't always better, slow and steady wins the race lol not that nitro is slow.
Depends on what circumstances? At all scales there is a brushless set you can buy over a counter that flat out destroys any nitro engine in the same class for power.

Also, slow and steady wins the race? You know that's just something we tell noobs so they don't go WOT all over the track until they learn how to go fast, right? Consistency and technique win races.

This track thing needs to be put down now. The reason electric isn't faster round some tracks is because not even a rocket ship would be faster round those tracks, they are designed to limit the speed of the race and therefore make technique count more. If they made the tracks for electric speeds, they would be much bigger and straighter tracks, and then the racing would be like it is in real life, whoever has the biggest wallet wins. Thank god track designers long ago made sure that a fat wallet wasn't the be-all-and-end-all of racing by making technical tracks.

Case in point, top gear test track...the old classic, one of my favorite comparisons, Lamborghini Murcielago vs Mitsubishi EVO9 440, despite the fac that the lambo is a significantly faster car than the 440, it couldn't pull away. If you had a lamborghini, would you have sold it and bought an evo after seeing that?
First of all i was really just joking when i Said slow and steady wins the race i realize you need some speed and "power", Im not just talking about racing as you are, like my truggy that's only a basher that's has a .32 engine in it, its only used for playing around with and some small/medium jumps and it has plenty enough power as is. If i put in a more "powerfull' brushless system in it all its going to do is cause extra strain on the driveline and is not necessary at all. In the end its all personal preference as i already said, some cons to me are pros to you and pros to you are cons to me, you can't simply say one is better then the other because one has more "power" or one makes noise.
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

And OP has not been back to this thread since. Started a fight and ran before the first bell...........
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: mattster1971

John, is this what you expected? Lol what a can of worms you popped open
This is more like someone tipped over the night crawler vending machine at the gas station lol
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM
firestone

well said sparky
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM
JohnP2

Good Lord!

I just wanted to know why nitro racing was the SuperBowl/World Cup [Insert your contries biggest sporting event here] in RC, but most everything I see/hear/read is about electric. I log on less than 24 hours later and four pages of posts. Ha! Greatness.

I will below true'er words have not been spoken:

"RC is a hobby, not a toy. It entails a learning curve, know-how, experience, a sense and understanding of how things work. Once you master this, participation in the hobby is more rewarding. You've achieved and mastered something, and now have an intuitive feel for it. Which is pretty cool"
-HerrSavage
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

I absolutely love nitro. I enjoy the smell and the sound. And I enjoy the extra maintenance involved. But I have been extremely busy lately, and have not run my nitros for some time. So when I have time to spare, nitro is my favorite. When I am pressed for time, nothing beats electric.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Good Lord!

I just wanted to know why nitro racing was the SuperBowl/World Cup [Insert your contries biggest sporting event here] in RC, but most everything I see/hear/read is about electric. I log on less than 24 hours later and four pages of posts. Ha! Greatness.

I will below true'er words have not been spoken:

''RC is a hobby, not a toy. It entails a learning curve, know-how, experience, a sense and understanding of how things work. Once you master this, participation in the hobby is more rewarding. You've achieved and mastered something, and now have an intuitive feel for it. Which is pretty cool''
-HerrSavage
Ha yeah rcu comes to life when someone starts a thread like this.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Ttowntoolman

Now if you ask my wife what do you like better.......lets just say she dont have any pull starters or fuel tanks on her toys!

I have both and have raced both Nitro and Electric. I have more trophies from electric than I do from nitro, to me it is Easier to win an electric class than a nitro class. Kinda like model building, it is easier to build a model with a skill level 1 than to build a model with a skill level of 5. Nitro is more like a skill level 5 and electric, skill level 1.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

Now if you ask my wife what do you like better.......lets just say she dont have any pull starters or fuel tanks on her toys!

I have both and have raced both Nitro and Electric. I have more trophies from electric than I do from nitro, to me it is Easier to win an electric class than a nitro class. Kinda like model building, it is easier to build a model with a skill level 1 than to build a model with a skill level of 5. Nitro is more like a skill level 5 and electric, skill level 1.

Ahahaha
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
kaycerc

Hhhmmmmmm, seems rather odd that you would give so much precedence to nitro engine tuning.

I taught my neighbor's 8-year-old how to tune a nitro in about half an hour, and he's not the sharpest crayon in the box.
He still hasn't caught on to the whole concept of car set-up, or that just because certain tires look cool doesn't mean they're going to work.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
kaycerc

We have an outlaw class dirt oval 1/8th scale latemodel, no one with electric can compete in this class either, PERIOD! If MR FOXY would like to try I would gladly let him stay @ my house for a race weekend. I would gladly pay for his meals for the weekend also, I will even pay for your entry fee to bring that 6s monster here and show us how. I have a couple extra latemodel bodies..........The biggest nitro engine running here is only a little bitty .28.............You win I pay for your airline tickets........
Pure foolishness.
Now if you pick up my costs, hourly wage, for the weekend we'd be on like donkey kong (can't believe I said that).

There's a reason they split up the 1/8th electrics from the nitros, and it's not because the electrics were slower.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
JohnP2

I have not read all the responses (I have a JOB).... ;-), but here is what I feel:

Let's face it, speed is EVERYTHING when it comes to rc cars. Traxxas' genius move is to put '45 MPH' (example) in each of their ads. Most folks, when purchasing their first RC car ask, "How fast is it?"

With that.....
I guaran-damn-tee-ya (Texas saying) I can show ANYONE an electric car that goes55 mph followed by a nitro car that goes 45 MPH, and nitro will STILL have that 'wow' factor. The spectator will gravitate toward the nitro vehicle asking "what is this?"
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I read all these responses, and was wondering if anyone actually read the 1st post or just saw the title "Nitro Vs Electric"? (and that includes Foxy )

If you ask which is superior I saw a few people nailed the correct answer which is pretty much its all in the eyes of the beholder. Foxy views electric as superior so no matter what electric will be superior as its what he likes. Same with Supertib as his business is in nitros(but I will be honest probably one of the few times I agreed with most of what he wrote as it didn't end up in a giant wall of text rant(not trying to start a argument here) ). The whole argument kinda reminds me of my uncle and what brand of cars he sees as good currently its toyota(or was it honda he changes his colors faster, and more often than a chameleon) as everything else is junk in his eyes, where 3 years ago it would have been ford as everything else was junk in his eyes, few years prior to that oldsmobile as everything else was junk, etc... Thinking of it h would make an excellent traxxas fanboy

I own more electrics than nitro. If you ask why Think it was collector1 who said it there are more varieties. Well that and I am pretty happy with 2 out of 3 of my nitros as they preform exactly as I like. I will be honest the 1st one I got I was extremely displeased with, and almost dropped out as like supertib said the issue with people getting in nitro is looking for cheap deals, and those cheap deals are usually what drive the people out as the engines are crap(in my case it was a used RC with a engine that was shot). Its taken me way more electrics to find ones that handled as I like (and most of those were converted nitros [&:])
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Dayaks

Both nitro and electric are powerful enough IMO.

What REALLY matters is what you ENJOY more. They are toys!

That said I like running electric, but watching nitro.. Not because I am lazy but because I just enjoy it. It also fits into my lifestyle/wife's acceptance "zone" better.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

It seems some people can tell us what they like about nitro or electric without belittling others for what they are into, it's a shame not everybody can do that. Most of the posts in this thread are just elitist jerks having a rant and enjoying the pointless bickering.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM
ER-95

Can't we all just get along 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
cumminspower5.9

Here's to sum it up... What you think is better is your own opinion and personal preference. It does not mean you are right or wrong. If you like electric, great! If you like nitro , great! If you like both, you've got the best of both worlds. Both can be made fast and quick (yes, there is an difference in the two) now let's leave it at that and lock this down before it gets out of hand and crowds the general discussion forums lol
Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Here's to sum it up... What you think is better is your own opinion and personal preference. It does not mean you are right or wrong. If you like electric, great! If you like nitro , great! If you like both, you've got the best of both worlds. Both can be made fast and quick (yes, there is an difference in the two) now let's leave it at that and lock this down before it gets out of hand and crowds the general discussion forums lol
well this threads probably seen more traffic in 24 hours than the rest of the posts on the 1st page in a week if you want to think about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.