Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

which buggy/truggy is the best to buy?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

which buggy/truggy is the best to buy?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
dont_know_what_i_want

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which buggy/truggy is the best to buy?

I would like to buy a traxxas jato 3.3 but before I do I was wondering if there is anything out there that is as fast or faster or better? I appreciate all opinions and advice, also if anyone has anything for sale please let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
johndavis

Default RE: which buggy/truggy is the best to buy?

going to be racing or bashing?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
dont_know_what_i_want

hi not raceing just go to a car park or some thing like that lol
Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

There are not many things faster that are rtr but there are better trucks as in better quality and durability, what terrain are you going to be on mostly? And how will you be using it?
btw the jato is not a buggy or a truggy its a stadium truck.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
dont_know_what_i_want

LOL, just goes to show what i know!!! Ill just be driving it mainly in a car park for some fun, thats what made me like the jato because its fast
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jato is fast if tuned right. doesnt handle that awsome tho. overpowered 2wd.

Are you stuck on a nitro? There are many brushless options that are just as fast that would mean less tinkering. Some in the same price range would also be 4wd.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were to ever own a Traxxas....the Jato would be it. I've heard mixed reviews, but the negative reviews have mainly come from guys that are a little more experienced and thus their bar has been raised, which is understandable.

Are you new to "the hobby"? Congrats on looking at a nitro! It's a different animal, but those who prefer it are fanatical about it (I am one of them) Running on parking lots can get a little old after a while. The ONLY knock on the Jato (or Traxxas in general) is durability. This is offset, however, by the ability to upgrade it with parts that can make it tough as nails....but at the cost of some speed of course.

Thus, my recommendation is to consider: do you want something fast that you can upgrade later and make tough? Or something tough you can upgrade later and make faster? The Hyper 7 is about $150.00 less than the Jato (and about 20 mph slower. However, check the video below and you can see how tough it is. I've had two (count them TWO) issues with that buggy, and the video below captures only the mishaps I got on TAPE. I've pretty much done everything with this buggy. Now that it has proven its toughness, my goal this year will be to make it at least 30-40% faster.

Regardless of what you get, follow up and post pics, videos of it. I'm sure you'll be proud of whatever you decide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3YVNGI-14
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself think the Jato is pretty cool and is the only traxxas I would be interested in owning. However, if it were my first or only nitro/rc ......no way!
It's hard to go wrong with the hyper 7 or any ofna rtr for that matter, but if I were to recommend a budget/firstrtr it would be this one http://www.amainhobbies.com/shopping...words/neo%20st (far superior to any traxxas rtr IMHO)If you are only driving on pavement and want speed may want to look into a gt car. Good luck with whatever you get.....these things are lots of fun!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM
dont_know_what_i_want

hi JohnP2, in the video this does look very strong, I think I want the unachievable-something that is really strong and really fast without having to do anything lol!! But I am going to have a closer look at the Hyper 7....I will put some pics up when I decide what to get.

nitrosportsandrunner, I have concidered brushless but i like the thought of an engine and having to play about with it to achieve different results....having said that, I will go to brushless if that doesnt go too well!!!

Thanks for all you're replys.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jato is a great truck for straight line bashing, but one of its problems is the handling and can be very fustrating offroad for a new driver.
The biggest problem is the engine, If u plan to run it flatout up and down a carpark it going to push the limits of the TRX 3.3.

If u go that path, before running in the motor, get a Davis Model Con Rod and some decent ceramic bearings.

im running just the Davis rod in a revo 3.3 and its been going strong for 20 tanks, but I dont really do high speed runs or max RPM
just be carefull on the tuning to, if u tune for max speed and power it will lean out
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
dont_know_what_i_want

Thankyou for all the information, it all comes in handy and its good to learn these things. I was so sure that i wanted a traxxas jato but no looking at everything else there is i want all of them lol!!! I'm like a kid in a candy shop lol
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
nitroexpress

I've owned a Jato. Trust me, it's an overpriced brick of a vehicle that goes fast in a straight line. You'll do yourself a favor to consider another vehicle.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
dont_know_what_i_want

thanks for that lol i been on the internet all day and still cant make up my mind lol
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: dont_know_what_i_want

thanks for that lol i been on the internet all day and still cant make up my mind lol
Just out ofcuriosity, why did you name your topic as "whichbuggy/truggyis the best tobuy" and then say that you want aJato? The Jatois neither.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM
dont_know_what_i_want

The reason would be because I didnt know the Jato was a stadium truck untill an previous poster informed me. It is also because I wanted opinions on if there is a buggy/truggy that compares to or is better than a Jato.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Berrymartin
Banned

If you are just running by yourself for some fun then a brushless one is quite nice as it does not anoy anyone. But well... it is electric and just the rattling of gears is not too much exciting.
I would recomend a mugen MBX6 or 7 or the Ofna Sabre
********aeromodelling is also offering Bestbuggy/truggyin different categories.

Regards,
Berry

<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 AM
dont_know_what_i_want

hi thanks ill take a look at them would you no what speed thay will do? Im more interested in the nitro ones as i like the sound of playing around with them, not like the electric.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 AM
phmaximus

Well that is the good thing about nitros, u have to keep playing with them just to get them to run
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Well that is the good thing about nitros, u have to keep playing with them just to get them to run
.... if you are doing something wrong lol
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM
dont_know_what_i_want

Hi again, JohnP2 just to let you know I ended up buying a losi speed nt...the only reason i bought this is because it was cheap (well i think it was!!) I pais £120 brand new, never been used and still cable tied in the box. I havent tested it yet because of work but im looking foreward to tyring it soon and ill post some pictures when i use it. What % fuel would you reccomend running it on?

thanks again for all youre help
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

.... if you are doing something wrong lol
ummm not really, i cant controll the weather.............lol