Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Some Thoughts on Brands, Prices, and Value

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Very much with you there about durability.

It's interesting to observe the trend in MT4 forums of people building up race truggies with huge MT wheels etc.. Mostly it's cheap D8T's and 8T 2.0's, and done smartly it can be a good route I think - for those with bigger budgets and more experience. But even then mods are apparently necessary(Tekno this or that)and the price is still considerably higher.. - both building and maintaining.. But still, honestly.., building up a mega basher like thatnis cheap compared to regular, organized racing..
    The D8T and 8T 2.0's converted to electric with a Tekno conversion and mt wheels, tires and shell are tougher than the mt4 but will cost you at least $1000 if not more

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3- Tamiya TA06 Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I'll respondwith my perspective. I've taken my Hyper 7 to the track on a few occassions. It's well documented how I feel about the Hyper 7. In fact, if I could only keep ONE vehicle, that might very well be the one. However, I had an eye-opening experience of epic proportions the first time I brought the Hyper 7 to my track. I understand driving skills matter, but I also witnessed first hand the sheer difference in the MP9s, 8.2s, (and yes the Mugens) running OS and Nova engines that simply made my Hyper 7 stand out....in an inferior way. I do agree with how easy it is to get suckered in (MBX7s are flying off the shelf at my track), howeverthere is a difference. Could Tessman spank me if he drove a Hyper 7 and I anMBX7? Of course. There are not many Tessman's at mytrack, however.
    The Hyper7 will never be in the same league as the latest buggys. Among other things, it's heavy and runs smallish shocks.

Put the correct tires on, run a Nova or etc., tune the suspension and diffs and you might be surprisedthat there is not a massivedifference.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought the weight of the hyper 7 is what made it great?

they still hold Hyper specific raced down here.
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

For it's time, I suppose it was in the mix. But compared to the current buggys, it's a bit bloated. So acceleration, braking and general handling suffer.
    In the U.S. ROAR specifiesa minimum weight of 3200 grams. Everyone shoots for this to gain bragging rights. I doubt the Hyper would come close.

Even so, a Hyper could be workable in a club race and a medium track. It's all about fun. Occasionally, I run my Hyper 8.5 on a medium indoor track. It lags a bit, but it's still fun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

See, that is greatness. I would LOVE to see specific vehicle-class. If my track were to come out with a Hyper 7 class, I would be all over it! They don't, and doubt they ever will....so bashing we will go! One of these days when I get my driving skills down, I'm sure just as a bit I will enter some of my bashers in a race. Heck, I would LOVEto get to the point where my Exceed Forza is durable enough, I throw give it a hand-me-down race engine, and then enter that thing. Ha!
    Mugen MBX6R, HB D8T, Losi 8 2.0, Savage X 4.6, Losi 810, Hyper 7, Exceed Forza
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NitroRCNerds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I decided to get the RC8.2e.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

See, that is greatness. I would LOVE to see specific vehicle-class. If my track were to come out with a Hyper 7 class, I would be all over it! They don't, and doubt they ever will....so bashing we will go! One of these days when I get my driving skills down, I'm sure just as a bit I will enter some of my bashers in a race. Heck, I would LOVEÂ*to get to the point where my Exceed Forza is durable enough, I throw give it a hand-me-down race engine, and then enter that thing. Ha!
    all tracks need a stock tamiya hornet/grasshopper class
    only can imagine how much fun that would be to see and do
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I decided to get the RC8.2e.....
    Cool.. Interested to see how you like it.. What's it going to run you, compared to say an EB4 G3?
    Nitro > stamp collecting, watching grass grow, cleaning room, etc.. > electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool.. Interested to see how you like it.. What's it going to run you, compared to say an EB4 G3?
    TTR EB4 G3 $400
    Hobbywing Xerun 150a esc
    Savox 1258TG servo
    Proline Wheels and Tires
    Steel Spur Gear
    $665

or

TeamAssociatedRC8.2e FT Kit
    TENSHOCK X812 6 POLE SENSOR CAR MOTOR+HOBBYWING XERUN BRUSHLESS 150A+2 IN 1 LCD BOX
    Savox 1258TG Steering Servo
    FT Chassis Brace Front 89238
    FT Chassis Brace Rear 89239
    FT Steel Spur Gear 89110
    Proline 1/8 Buggy Tires (4)
    Robinson Racing Pinion Gear
    $900

For $235 more, I am getting alot more with the RC8.2e than with the eb4 g3, and I am not going to use the radio, receiver, esc and servo that the eb4 has anyway. Keep in mind I might buy cvd shafts for the rear, robinsion racing pinion and make a chassis brace if get the eb4, so that $235 saving becomes a $190 saving over the rc8

I feel I am getting more bang for buck with the rc8.2e as I am going to end up upgrading some stuff on the eb4 to get it where I want it too be

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doesn't the EB4 have a steel spur? The pic I've seen one showed a separte picture in the offer, as if it were included..

Here my costs would be the following:

1.) RC8.2e

kit: €400
    Hobbywing 150a 2200 combo: €215
    tires: €35
    misc: €50.. paint, receiver, etc.. I have a spare Savox 1256, so no cost there.

So, a good €700 all up. Kits always cost more than you think though..(applies to everything in RC, to be fair..)

2.) EB4 G3:

RTR including the same Reedy 4s lipo I have two of for my MT4: €365 shipped.

Big difference.

PLUS I can switch chassis, diffs, and all kinds of other stuff with my MT4 if necessary - in both directions too. I hope the radio is the same as the MT4. For an RTR, the TT's come with a nice radio. So, could just bind the receiver to my MT4 radio, and keep the second radio as a backup. Another little advantage..

The only real extra cost I see with the EB4 is a new body, as the stock one is pretty cheesy. I have other tires and wings. Can also throw in the Savox 1256 steering servo. Then I'd have the two TT servos (also from the MT4), new as backups for one of my bashers or whatever..

Yeah, the RC8.2e is the better car. But at the price difference I'd be looking at, and given that I don't care about travelling all over the country to organized races - or all the shock piston drilling and other stuff(including investing in five more sets of tires, better batteries, a second kit for spares, etc..), for me I just wouldn't get that much more benefit out of it, other than bragging rights. And bragging rights aren't worth 350(more like 400 when you factor in the "free" lipo...) bucks.. And yeah, the part cross-over advantage with the MT4.. Also, having invested all that much more in a more racerly buggy, I just wouldn't thrash it as carelessly, so it would kind of take away from the fun. Just speaking for meself of course..
    Nitro > stamp collecting, watching grass grow, cleaning room, etc.. > electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like that. That's a great idea! Specific to the vehicle. Must be a popular Aussie vehicle
    Traxxas Jato 3.3 Custom(2), HoBao Hyper 7(2), Associated MGT 4.6, Kyosho Javelin. Its better to be feared than loved.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doesn't the EB4 have a steel spur? The pic I've seen one showed a separte picture in the offer, as if it were included..

Here my costs would be the following:

1.) RC8.2e

kit: €400
    Hobbywing 150a 2200 combo: €215
    tires: €35
    misc: €50.. paint, receiver, etc.. I have a spare Savox 1256, so no cost there.

So, a good €700 all up. Kits always cost more than you think though..(applies to everything in RC, to be fair..)

2.) EB4 G3:

RTR including the same Reedy 4s lipo I have two of for my MT4: €365 shipped.

Big difference.

PLUS I can switch chassis, diffs, and all kinds of other stuff with my MT4 if necessary - in both directions too. I hope the radio is the same as the MT4. For an RTR, the TT's come with a nice radio. So, could just bind the receiver to my MT4 radio, and keep the second radio as a backup. Another little advantage..

The only real extra cost I see with the EB4 is a new body, as the stock one is pretty cheesy. I have other tires and wings. Can also throw in the Savox 1256 steering servo. Then I'd have the two TT servos (also from the MT4), new as backups for one of my bashers or whatever..

Yeah, the RC8.2e is the better car. But at the price difference I'd be looking at, and given that I don't care about travelling all over the country to organized races - or all the shock piston drilling and other stuff(including investing in five more sets of tires, better batteries, a second kit for spares, etc..), for me I just wouldn't get that much more benefit out of it, other than bragging rights. And bragging rights aren't worth 350(more like 400 when you factor in the "free" lipo...) bucks.. And yeah, the part cross-over advantage with the MT4.. Also, having invested all that much more in a more racerly buggy, I just wouldn't thrash it as carelessly, so it would kind of take away from the fun. Just speaking for meself of course..
    I don't have any thing for a 1/8 scale buggy other than a radio and receiver. I am not going to race either

For you, it doesn't look like a good deal to buy the rc8.2 as you already have a servo and tires.

For me, when I add up all the stuff I am going to add to the eb4 and the price of a fully finished rc8.2, there is only $235 difference, and I feel like I am getting my $235 worth with the better motor, chassis and chassis bracing. I am not going to upgrade anything on my rc8.2 other than what I have added already (steel spur, chassis braces)

Don't get me wrong, the eb4 g3 is a great buggy, the best one under $500 Imo, its better value for me to get the rc8.2e as I know myself, I am going to start upgrading things and the rc8.2e already has the upgrades

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12