Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Snowmobile?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RC Snowmobile?

Down in the Off-Topic Forum, there's a thread on Getting Snow for RC. Well, I found this old toy today.... hidden in the back of my basement. It never was a success as it never had much power, and total run time was less than 5 minutes with the included 4 hour charger.

So I was thinking of converting it to nitro. I've seen it done on YouTube, and documented on a few sites including RCU, and it looks like a fun project. I know it would be easier to upgrade the electric motor and battery vs installing a nitro engine, but as I'm kind of an engine nut, so .....

The first concern is what size engine to install. I'd say between a 12 to 15 based on the size of the thing. The 21's and above are too powerful and would tear the thing apart. Now I have a brand new 18CV-RX with a THS pipe, but that's for my HPI RS4 3 18SS, so I could make the swap and try installing the 18SS engine in the snowmobile, although it might be still too powerful. Oh well, easy enough.... maybe install a carb restrictor?

Keeping in mind this snowmobile is non-hobby grade and I doubt I can get parts for it (the track is a worry... at one time I know you could buy a replacement track, but probably not any more... I can make most of the other parts if required, or modify for alternate parts), so it's not wise for me to spend too much money on it. In fact, no money at all. Just use whats in my junkbox.

No doubt I'll have to install proper radio gear. I have enough spare servos, can use an existing TX, so all I might have to buy would be a cheap Rcvr and a crystal

The final problem is Mrs Argess has a list a mile long for me to do these days, so it might not get done until next winter. Never-the-less, any thoughts (other then "forget it" )?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SnowMobile.jpg
Views:	1610
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2235782

Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RC Snowmobile?

well if it fails I'd keep the front skis if I were you as the hinge looks like you could easily make a mount to put it on any RC
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat! If you could get it to sound like a 2 stroke snowmobile and blow blue smoke ....even better. Surprised there is not a 1/8th nitro rc snowmobile out there as it seems there would be a market for one? Get that thing running, lets see some vids!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM
pcarluvr

That would be cool! But, By the looks of it, there could be issues with putting an engine,2 servo's, receiver,batt pack,and fuel tank and have it still look like a snowmobile. Maybe stretch the chassis somehow to bring the tracks back further? Although, The BEST snowmobile I ever saw was this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vuNt0PUahTY
Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't figure out why it looks so short and stubby in that picture unless I somehow managed lose the aspect ratio when I cropped it and shrank it down for website posting.

I figured Rcvr and battery under the seat where the existing battery goes. Engine and fuel tank up front, but will have to cut holes for cooling and hinge the hood.

I can use a mini-servo for the throttle to save space.

I had it out in the snow today and I may have to reconsider the size engine I want to use. I might need to go down to a .06 or I'll destroy the drivetrain pretty quickly.

Next step is to open it up and have a look at the existing set-up.

I'm sort of messing around with the idea now. No real intent to do anything soon, but just thought I'd get some feedback from all of you. Once i get the idea sorted out, then I can start gathering things up, making parts, and if I have to buy anything, take advantage of sales as they come up.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

worst case scenario if the track breaks go strap a 2wd RC's rear on it, lock the diff, and use paddles
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

geez, Im all up for big, custom projects and dont like to be a negitive voice....but this will be a tough job.
Ive upgraded a cheap toy snowmobile to hobby grade rc gear. But even that would tough.
Doing the conversion to a nitro motor will be a tall order.
The other issue is that even the really good electric conversions still kinda suck. skiis and track are not really big enough to go threw any snow unless its packed.
But If you can prove me wrong, that will be awsome. Some said I couldnt build a good 1/5 scale stampede vxl. But once it was done many changed their tune. So I will be watching, hoping I can say I was wrong
Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

There have been a few attempts at r/c snowmobiles. The most recent attempt (probably 10 years ago now) was the Art Attack snowmobile. They were available as a kit in both nitro and electric forms. Mine are nitro (.21 powered).
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: i8tweety

There have been a few attempts at r/c snowmobiles. The most recent attempt (probably 10 years ago now) was the Art Attack snowmobile. They were available as a kit in both nitro and electric forms. Mine are nitro (.21 powered).
Ive seen them, in vids and up close.
They are the only hobby grade snowmobile I know of.
Their tracks and trans are far better than the toy stuff. But their skiis are still to narrow to work as well as I would like.
The brushless ones work well. But of course, the nitro ones seem more like the real thing.
Ones been for sale at my hobby shop (used) for awhile and ive been tempted to pick it up.