Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fun with clutch springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fun with clutch springs

So I figured out why my D8T was not idling correctly. As suspected, it was my clutch setup.

It turns out ALLTHREE springs came loose form the flywheel nut. Below is a picture of what happened, as well as a picture that illustrates how I am placing the spring in the shoe. I've taken on/off clutch shoes 30+ times and yet to have any issues. While I'm prone to error, this is one area where I believe I've past the newbie stage (i.e. yes, it was installed correctly).

My only thinking is that there is something else causing the springs to come off? Perhaps the flyswheel nut is too loose and moved some (thus taking the springs out of the nut groove?).

Not sure, but this is an interesting one. What sucks is that even after I "fix it", I'll end up having to take the engine off again and check as this has me worried. I'm shocked the truggy ran as well as it did with all three springs off.

One thing I did notice, the groove on the clutch nut was much more mature (deeper) than when I installed it. It's like the springs "really dug in" to the groove. ?

p.s. If any of you THINKyou know what might have caused this but need additional pics, let me know. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66962.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	1845150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12969.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	1845151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25366.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	1845152  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fun with clutch springs

Just a guess, based on the pics which could be misleading. Seems to be some grey material between the flywheel and nut. This could indicate that the flywheel was slipping. This would cause the springs to rotate around the nut.

Also, the clutch bearing seems to have a blue cast.Doesthe clutchbell itself have any blueing? This could indicate an overheat situation. Be sure to check your shimming.

Again, these are possiblilities and not for sure.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM
JohnP2

You have a keen, eye. sir. There was some graying around the shaft, nut, flywheel pins. My clutch nut seemed to be a litle loose. Not real loose, but I could turn it a full turn (and I use a flywheel wrench. At least, I'm hoping that is what it is. Everything else seems fine. :-)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Ttowntoolman

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Just a guess, based on the pics which could be misleading. Seems to be some grey material between the flywheel and nut. This could indicate that the flywheel was slipping. This would cause the springs to rotate around the nut.

Also, the clutch bearing seems to have a blue cast. Does the clutchbell itself have any blueing? This could indicate an overheat situation. Be sure to check your shimming.

Again, these are possiblilities and not for sure.

If the clutch nut came loose on the flywheel and your bolt was tight holding the bell on, it would have damn near locked up the clutch bearings and turned them blue. Good eye nitroexpress.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM
JohnP2

I'm a little worried about overtightening the clutch nut, as I can get some really good torque with the flyhweel wrench. I tightened one on my Losi 810 so hard, that it literally stipped my t-wrench trying to get it off. I had to use a dremel and cut the clutch nut off. This time, I just tightened it "hard"..so hopefully it will hold. If not - I'll analyze to see if something else is causing it to come loose and then perhaps just upgrade to the M2C.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I'm a little worried about overtightening the clutch nut, asI can get some really good torque with the flyhweel wrench. I tightened one on my Losi 810 so hard, that it literally stipped my t-wrench trying to get it off. I had to use a dremel and cut the clutch nut off. This time, I just tightened it "hard"..so hopefully it will hold. If not -I'll analyze to see if something else is causing it to come loose and then perhaps just upgrade to the M2C.
Don't know what brand of wrench you are using, but don't use something like this

Soft metal strips very easily in higher torque situations.
Although the M2C is a good clutch, I doubt it will solve a loose nut issue.