Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
It's awsesome. I like it as much if not more than surface.
69.70%
It''s awsesome, but I like surface better.
18.18%
Never tried it, but can see me liking it.
3.03%
If someone gave me one, I''m sure I''d try it and like it, but $$$
4.55%
Have no interest in them, but respect what they do.
1.52%
They are a waste of time.
3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Do any of you also fly RC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do any of you also fly RC?

The other day I met a new neighborflying as MONSTER nitro copter. We chatted for a while, he's getting interested in surface. Curious how many of you have interest in air.

For what it's worth, my answer is #4. I totally respect thatscene and imagine thereis as much tenacity that goes into it as does surface. My LHSis 1/2 air, and those guys seem pretty intense about that hobby.

Foxy, please lock this if it turns into a surface vs air thread. That is not the intent. Simply wantto know what experience guys on this surface forumhas had regarding planes/copter. I have had a little experience with Estes rockets, and that stuff is pretty cool, that is my only air experience.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Do any of you also fly RC?

tried helis
turns out after a few tries my savage has more time in the air then my heli did, and with less broken parts
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two nitro planes, Ive only flown a few times because I'm always nervous to send $350 up in the air trusting nothing will fail because most of the time when a plane crashes it's done. I can actually enjoy boats and cars/trucks because Im not worried about it falling out of the sky lol which happened to one of my planes, I let someone I didn't know that said he was an instructor take it off as im new to planes and he said it lost signal and crashed but I dont know about that one, luckily It was reparable but I have yet to fly it again.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

not into it.  way to many rules.  if i could fly them in a park or something, and not have to deal with flying fields, rules, guidelines, etc., maybe.  but i can't so...
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I have the super cub. Fly it all the time.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

not into it. way to many rules. if i could fly them in a park or something, and not have to deal with flying fields, rules, guidelines, etc., maybe. but i can't so...
Rules? Haha I fly mine everywhere...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Flyzone Corvalis and a Blade MCPx.  Heli's require patience and lots of practice.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I have a Flyzone Corvalis and a Blade MCPx. Heli's require patience and lots of practice.
and very calm area to fly

Mine was flying fine when it was calm out till a gust of wind (prolly 2-3 MPH) came out of no where hit it and caused it to flip and go straight to the ground...
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
ejc34710

I am into a little of pretty much everything you would see at a hobby shop. Rc vehicles, helis, planes, boats, rocketry. Nothin gets the knees knockin like a heli though! Rc cars are relaxing, kinda "care free". Helis and planes are a little different. An APC prop hurts quite badly......
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Foxy

I fly planes (badly) and helicopters (really badly). I have minis of each (got one Nine Eagles smallish foamie and a Blade MSR which is too much chopper for me) because they don;t break when I inevitably fly them into the ground.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

if there were more "calm" days, I would own as many brushless planes as I do brushless trucks.
Each summer I try to have 1 plane....for those good days when the wind is calm and I can get to the field.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
pcarluvr

I have a Blade CX2 that I bought to learn how to fly. I have flown it out doors on very calm days and I landed(crashed) into my parents pool, dried it out and still flies fine. I also bought the Blade MSR for flying around the office. I was going to move up to a Blade 450 X but the 1/5 scale bug bit me.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I fly planes (badly) and helicopters (really badly). I have minis of each (got one Seven Eagles small foamie and a Blade MSR which is too much chopper for me) because they don;t break when I inevitably fly them into the ground.
I had a hobbyzone super cub. good starter. Bought it used. Crashed a few times. Not that hard to learn to fly it good.

I wanted to make the jump to a 4ch but didnt wanna spend alot cause I was sure I would crash given the greater amount of directions a 4ch can go.
I bought a dynam "icanfly" from nitro planes.

What a dream to fly! Glides awsome, the cheapo BL system gave it decent climbing power and once I got the hang of it I could do some really cool stuff.
And what was best is that before I got the hang of it, the dynam took many hard landings and more than a few crashes in stride.
The 2nd summer I did a nose dive which broke the motor shaft. $15 for a new motor!!!

That plane was $135 shipped to my door. My next plane will be a dynam for sure. Brand name 4ch brushless planes the same size are over $200 easy. I dont think they would prove any more durable or easy to fly either. The name "icanfly" is lame....but proved true.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

not into it. way to many rules. if i could fly them in a park or something, and not have to deal with flying fields, rules, guidelines, etc., maybe. but i can't so...
Rules? Haha I fly mine everywhere...
you live in arrowhead. i live in long beach. big difference.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
JohnP2

This guy flying the copter had machine that was doing all sorts of tricks. I stopped and watched until he finished. I asked, "Is that a 2-stroke?" He responded, "It's called a nitro." I was like, "Yea. I understand...." and went into my experience with "nitro engines" on surface rc vehicles. Ha! We were both quickly talking about "the hobby. He got himself a Trophy 3.5 and is taking it our track. 

I am seeing a true respect between surface/air, and that simply helps "the hobby" grow!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM
JH313

I am a convert from ground to air. Planes have taken over almost all that I do. The greatest thing about planes is the fact that what you can do is almost limitless. I found trucks to become repetitive after a while and planes gave me that change. I also found that flying made me a better driver as I found I needed to be more precise in the air. I do still use my truck in between flying sessions, and it is still a ton of fun. The rules aren't that bad, though. They are all basically common sense. If you spend some time with an instructor, it will come second nature quickly. If you have any questions about the change, feel free to ask a fellow convert.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:53 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: JH313

I am a convert from ground to air. Planes have taken over almost all that I do. The greatest thing about planes is the fact that what you can do is almost limitless. I found trucks to become repetitive after a while and planes gave me that change. I also found that flying made me a better driver as I found I needed to be more precise in the air. I do still use my truck in between flying sessions, and it is still a ton of fun. The rules aren't that bad, though. They are all basically common sense. If you spend some time with an instructor, it will come second nature quickly. If you have any questions about the change, feel free to ask a fellow convert.
That is very interesting. Planes/copters are more complex than cars. This guy said he had not flown it since October, so it seems like it's mostly wrenching....which I have no problems with. It's a lot easier to sit out and run your rc car while grilling some steaks out front then it is to launch something in the air. Regardless, I do have a lot of appreciation as to what goes into that.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
robwiljas

I can fly, but I don't much. I started about 21 years ago, back when it was a lot more expensive and you really couldn't buy rtf. I taught myself to fly and am a decent pilot, but I got frustrated with the expense and I hate building (and suck at it) so I got out of it. I do have a micro park flier and heli though that I bought because they were so cheap, and I do enjoy them. I just don't get to fly them much because they're too small to fly in even the slightest breeze. I have been thinking about getting a larger park flier and heli though.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

I fly....quads, flybarless 3d, and have a foamie (a nitro sport plane will be my next purchase...well that or an ofna dm1 spec) . I think they are alot of fun and truely good for your brain. Flying 3d requires you to think on many different planes and is definately stimulating.  The technology, price point, and durability of heli's has come a looooong way! My advice is to start small with something cheap and durable. I know of no one that started flying with 450 nitro heli and had a good outcome.

I challenge anybody to spend $40 shipped on
This http://www.tmart.com/New-Wltoys-V911...FQThQgod1QgADA
 or this http://www.nitroplanes.com/28h-wlv-v939-red-mini.html  and not have a blast with it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: big JC

I fly....quads, flybarless 3d, and have a foamie (a nitro sport plane will be my next purchase...well that or an ofna dm1 spec) . I think they are alot of fun and truely good for your brain. Flying 3d requires you to think on many different planes and is definately stimulating. The technology, price point, and durability of heli's has come a looooong way! My advice is to start small with something cheap and durable. I know of no one that started flying with 450 nitro heli and had a good outcome.

I challenge anybody to spend $40 shipped on
This http://www.tmart.com/New-Wltoys-V911...FQThQgod1QgADA
or this http://www.nitroplanes.com/28h-wlv-v939-red-mini.html and not have a blast with it.
was looking at http://www.nitroplanes.com/28h-wlv979-watergun.html if I had any spare cash (yes I'm that strapped for cash) I'd pick it up for fun
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

[quote]ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: big JC

was looking at http://www.nitroplanes.com/28h-wlv979-watergun.html if I had any spare cash (yes I'm that strapped for cash) I'd pick it up for fun
Oh neat! Haven't seen that one yet! I've got the 939 & 949 which I think is the same thing minus water gun. The 949 has BRIGHT lcd lights and is fun to fly at night as I have spooked many a people with it. Anyway, hope you get some cash flowin soon Syco.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I think the plane only guys are voting now since this is on top 15 threads on the homepage lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Foxy

Well, there are ten times more plane guys here than car guys.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love to get into planes - but too much money, and not enough good enough weather for it in Germany... Hell, bad weather ruins more than enough days running cars... Though fair enough, a muddy track doesn't affect a plane.. But wind I guess... Anyway, I'm in way over my head with cars.. Some day planes maybe.. Definitely appeals to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

Cars, trucks,and boats might be ok but for me there is no better thrill than flying my scale planes!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82224.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	1849592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16222.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1849593  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.