Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

1/18 ECX Smash Steering Servo???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/18 ECX Smash Steering Servo???

Just got one for my son last weekend and broke the servo on the first day. HorizonHobby sent me a replacement servo made for a Losi Mini-T.

For some reason, the original servo has a 3-wire plug (black, red, orange) but the Losi servo has 4-wires (black, red, white, orange) so the plug is wider.

Seems like i have to do some mod and reuse the original plug? How do you do this? which wires do I use?

I never had a servo with 4 wires on them, all have three.?

Or did I get the wrong servo?.

( I am trying to get a hold of them at this time )
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/18 ECX Smash Steering Servo???

you got the wrong servo I've seen one of those 4 wire ones before and they are NOT compatible with 3 wire as they are missing some electronics in the servo themselves which instead are supposed to be on the main board
pretty much 2 wires are for the servo motor, and 2 are for the location potentiometer the servo is missing the electronics to determine the servos location, and decode the pulses the RX sends

basically its useless for you
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Just got one for my son last weekend and broke the servo on the first day. HorizonHobby sent me a replacement servo made for a Losi Mini-T.

For some reason, the original servo has a 3-wire plug (black, red, orange) but the Losi servo has 4-wires (black, red, white, orange) so the plug is wider.

Seems like i have to do some mod and reuse the original plug? How do you do this? which wires do I use?

horizon hobby screwed up.
they have both the ECX and Losi brands...and the smash is based off a mini-t chassis. But the smash uses better electronics. The mini-t has a speedcontrol/reciever combo unit. Thats why the servo is a 4 wire.
It cannot be converted to work with your smash that has a seperate speedcontrol and reciever. Only a 3 wire servo will work.
There are some cheap mini 3 wire servos on hobbypartz.com. Or the traxxas mini servo (forget the part # right now) would also work.
Im sure horizon will get the right part to you. It does suck he has to wait longer to use the truck.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

horizon hobby screwed up.
they have both the ECX and Losi brands...and the smash is based off a mini-t chassis. But the smash uses better electronics. The mini-t has a speedcontrol/reciever combo unit. Thats why the servo is a 4 wire.
It cannot be converted to work with your smash that has a seperate speedcontrol and reciever. Only a 3 wire servo will work.
There are some cheap mini 3 wire servos on hobbypartz.com. Or the traxxas mini servo (forget the part # right now) would also work.
Im sure horizon will get the right part to you. It does suck he has to wait longer to use the truck.
Hmmm? I am looking at the Smash and it has the ESC/Receiver combo by Dynamite. I search the mini-T, and it also has a ESC/RX combo unit. The ESC/RX for losi also uses a 3-wire servo, so I am not sure for what Losi model uses this 4-wire servo.

But anyway, the good news is, they are sending me the correct servo this time. Still great customer support from them, they did not even ask for me to return the other servo.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28936.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1851367   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44620.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1851368