Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Ready for my first race!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Nitro Andrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for my first race!

I had my final practice today before my first race next Saturday. I was wondering why my dad (John P2) wanted to go to the track at 3pm today and I found out fast why he did that. Ha ha.

They had like all these pro drivers who were preparing for to race and I had to practice with them. Team XRay was out there and there were NOturn Marshals as those guys don't crash. I did okay, a lot of the guys were giving me tips and telling me when I did something good. There are parts of the track I can go full-throttle now. I practiced for about two hours, that is a long time going around the track but it was fun. There was over 50 people who signed up to race. My sister was with us and getting bored so we did not stay for the races. My dad and I came up with our own team name and we might get decals with it.

Man I can't believe how tough my Losi 8 2.0 is. I had some really bad crashes. The only thing that broke was the wing. Ha ha. I uploaded a picture of it. I'm gonna enter the race next Saturday with the broken wing. It is stupid to buy a new one. My goal next week is to not come in last place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61627.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	1850101  
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Ready for my first race!

Nice, I too am just learning that going around a track can be as much fun as bashing.
Its cool you and your dad can do it together.
Ive also found others at the track tend to be nice people, willing to offer advice and just shoot the breeze. Fairly laid back environment.

Im sure you heard it said more than once, winning isnt about going the fastest around the track, its about making clean, consistant laps. Thats the tough part. When you get side/side with someone the natural thing to do is to try and beat them. Whats best to do is focus on your line and being smooth. Wait for the other guy to mess up. Trying to beat the other guy will end up in you crashing...or worse, you 2 crashing into eachother.

It seems every time I have started to get board with RC's, I discover a new element to it and fall in love all over again. 1st I did nitro, then electric, the brushed, then crawlers. All of that was mainly bashing. Then came some track time and friendly racing. Each aspect is different and all can be enjoyed. The variation of the RC Hobby is part of what makes it so awsome.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner
Trying to beat the other guy will end up in you crashing...or worse, you 2 crashing into eachother.
This is great wisdom, sir!As someone who WITNESSED this "run with the pros" today, the kid did okay. I have to say NItro Andrew had a little heavier throttle than normal (and crashed more than normal) but can understand why that was tempting when guys were jumping OVERhim.
:-). While Iadmit I am one of the most aggressive drivers at my track (and pay for it, but learning how to go fast) at the end of the day it seems like you just have to watch your car and focus soley onhow you are doing. It's youagainst the track, not against other drivers.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Nitro Andrew

I know, but I keep crashing in to other cars when I just look at mine. I don't care though, I agree it is best to just watch your car and how it is doing.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
JoeMaxx

Yes I agree if you start to watch others you lose focus on your driving.It is always you against the track and avoid hitting others while you navigate it.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats cool, im jellous.

Father and son racing team... why cant my kids be older

Seems like u guys have found a great place to race, its great when u can talk to other people and get tips and pointers

Keep us updated it good to hear good news. We need more people sharing there good experiences.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM
FlippedUP

My father and I got into this something heavy a while ago. Me being a father now and showing my daughter some of my RC cars is a great way to have some family bonding time.

Listen to your father though, god knows if I would have I wouldnt have had to replace a bunch of the pieces that broke from just driving like a lunatic.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM
ER-95

Cool, I'll bring my Tmaxx and smoke all y'all lol..

Race your race, don't worry about someone else
Old 02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Have fun and keep a good steady pace
Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nitro Andrew

I know, but I keep crashing in to other cars when I just look at mine. I don't care though, I agree it is best to just watch your car and how it is doing.
this is probly the hardest skill to learn....how to watch your car and where you are going while keeping other racer's in your vision.
Its not like bashing, where you can always look far ahead of where you are going. You can only look so far ahead of your truck when there are others near yours. The trick is learning to have good overall vision.
Another thing I have to do is always race standing on the same spot. If I move, the track all looks different and it takes time to adjust to it.

My son is almost 3 years old. I take him with me to the track. He waits, watches and then turnmashels for us. When he see's dad bringing the trucks to the door he knows where we are going and says "shoes" "jacket"

It will be awsome when he is old enough to drive with me....except that it will get more expensive, LOL.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM
nitroexpress

It's important to be able to focus on your vehicle while being aware of what's in front of you. Itreally hurtsto run into a dog pile of wrecks(many times in the first turn at the start) rather than being able to drive around and gain positions.Using Peripheral vision takes a bit of practice, but really pays off.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, multi-spatial awareness (yes, that's a technical term I just invented) only comes with practice. Until you get it, just try not to plow up people's asses. In general you should be looking in the 3 feet of empty space in front of the car, except when you are looking at the front wheels (hope you have bright colored front wheels).