Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Nitro equipment that has been sitting for 4 years?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro equipment that has been sitting for 4 years?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro equipment that has been sitting for 4 years?

Hey. So my first ever RC Car was a nitro, and I got frustrated with it since I knew nothing about it and ran the engine too lean...then you know what happens next. So I got into electric micro planes, and now have come back to RC Cars. I only have electrics right now, and would like more experience with the electrics first, but I plan on getting a nitro again at some point. I have a gallon of nitro fuel sitting in my basement in an area that doesn't get much sun...same goes for the fuel bottle and glo igniter. So I have a question: is the nitro fuel that has been sitting for 4 years still okay to use, and will the glo starter still work fine? I know the fuel bottle should be fine, but I'm most worried about if the nitro fuel will work anymore or if I would need to buy a new gallon whenever it is that I get another nitro car (which will probably be anywhere between 6 months or 1-3 years from now). Also, the glo starter....is there some way I can check and see if it still works?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Nitro equipment that has been sitting for 4 years?

ORIGINAL: Microz

Hey. So my first ever RC Car was a nitro, and I got frustrated with it since I knew nothing about it and ran the engine too lean...then you know what happens next. So I got into electric micro planes, and now have come back to RC Cars. I only have electrics right now, and would like more experience with the electrics first, but I plan on getting a nitro again at some point. I have a gallon of nitro fuel sitting in my basement in an area that doesn't get much sun...same goes for the fuel bottle and glo igniter. So I have a question: is the nitro fuel that has been sitting for 4 years still okay to use, and will the glo starter still work fine? I know the fuel bottle should be fine, but I'm most worried about if the nitro fuel will work anymore or if I would need to buy a new gallon whenever it is that I get another nitro car (which will probably be anywhere between 6 months or 1-3 years from now). Also, the glo starter....is there some way I can check and see if it still works?
If the fuel is tightly capped and stored in a cool area out of direct sunlight, it should run just fine. As for the glow driver, either change the battery or recharge it if rechargeable and stick it on a glow plug and see if it lights up. It might still have a charge to it if its a NiCd. Check the glow driver again in 6-8 hours and see if it glows the same brightness as the first time. If so, it should hold a charge for awhile... maybe a few days with light use. This is assuming its a rechargeable battery inside.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I doubt the fuel is any good, glow fuel draws water over time so if you ran it, it would probably not run well on not hold a tune but then again it could be fine. Do you have an old glow plug or voltage meter to test the igniter?

You beat me while I was typing lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Microz

1QwkSport2.5r - Sometimes the glow fuel gets exposed to a little bit of sun, but its usually dark or just artificial light from light bulbs. The glo driver has a rechargeable NiCD battery built in...its the hobbico glo start. I don't have a glow plug to test it on.

t-max97 - It doesn't look like theres any water build up in there, but I guess you can't see that? I do not have a glow plug, but I do have a voltage meter...how would I use that to test it?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
ejc34710

As mentioned before, if your fuel was stored properly (capped tight, out of sun light), it should be just fine.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Microz

Okay cool thanks. The fuel should be good then. Also, just for a future reference, is the HPI firestorm 10T a good first nitro car?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I would not touch that fuel with a 10-foot pole. Especially if you plan to use on a new nitro engine. I won't get into a scientific debate as to why I would not use the fuel (asI'll loose)- other than I'd err on the side of caution and just get new fuel.

Why chance a $300-$400 investment on $10 worth of leftover fuel.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Man, I would not touch that fuel with a 10-foot pole. Especially if you plan to use on a new nitro engine. I won't get into a scientific debate as to why I would not use the fuel (as I'll loose) - other than I'd err on the side of caution and just get new fuel.

Exactly It's not like it's cost that much and it's not really worth it.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Man, I would not touch that fuel with a 10-foot pole. Especially if you plan to use on a new nitro engine. I won't get into a scientific debate as to why I would not use the fuel (asI'll loose)- other than I'd err on the side of caution and just get new fuel.

Thanks I guess I'll just buy a new gallon then when I'm ready.

On the other hand, is the HPI firestorm 10T a good place to start?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Microz

Okay so after researching a little, I began to think....do glow plugs go out very frequently? From reading, it looks like many recommend to have glow plugs on hand...do they really go out that frequently? The reason I ask is because glow plugs are EXPENSIVE!!! Well....expensive for me, a 15 year old with no income. How often do glow plugs go out? If they do go out frequently, like say, every 1-2 months, then I'm not sure I'll be able to handle a nitro. So how often do they go out? Would richening up the engine a little bit prolong their lifespan, or does the engine tuning have nothing to do with glow plugs?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM
JoeMaxx

I like to keep a few glow plugs around for each of my engines. They do burn out when you least expect it so yes it helps to have a spare or two.

Some glow plugs last me all summerothers burn out faster. Tuning properly helps to keep them from frying. Mine generally fry when I have a bad tuning day and run to lean for too long. Medium heat glow plugs have a thickerfilament and will last longer than hot plugs.

http://www.osengines.com/glowplugs/index.html

http://www.oneten.co.za/showthread.p...lugs-explained

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Anthoop

Glow plugs can last many gallons....or can be ruined in a few minutes.
Not running the engine lean and using the correct plug will help the life of both the plug and the engine.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
t-max97

My ofna force .32 Has almost two gallons threw it and the glow plug still woks fine. Some plane guys have 15+year old engine with original glow plugs that run fine, but on the other hand Iv'e gone threw about 5 glow plugs in one day running a leaky engine. Lesson learned.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Microz

Ah okay thanks guys. So a richer tune won't effect the glow plug too bad will it? Also, I've been reading that a nitro is A LOT more expensive than an electric to keep running...is this true? I know that it may be more expensive, but is it really that much more expensive? I mean I just spent about $70 on a new power supply for my chargers and $64 on two new batteries.....

t-max97 - Wow that doesn't sound good. Glad you got it figured out though! How do you know if you have a leaky engine?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM
FahrtAutoRC

it depends on how often you run it. Those batteries and such are a one-time purchase, and it's done. Nitro fuel, glow plugs, parts from noob-tuning, all that adds up. I usually recommend people don't mess with nitros unless they already have some decent experience overall just because of the cost and frustration.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Microz

Okay thank you. I mean I really want to give nitro another shot...I really miss it.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
t-max97

Ah okay thanks guys. So a richer tune won't effect the glow plug too bad will it? Also, I've been reading that a nitro is A LOT more expensive than an electric to keep running...is this true? I know that it may be more expensive, but is it really that much more expensive? I mean I just spent about $70 on a new power supply for my chargers and $64 on two new batteries.....

t-max97 - Wow that doesn't sound good. Glad you got it figured out though! How do you know if you have a leaky engine?
Most of the time it will run very lean no matter how much you richen it because it's letting more air in, That's why It was burning up all the plugs, it was lean but I was somewhat new to nitro when that happened so I didn't realize what is was at first.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Most of the time it will run very lean no matter how much you richen it because it's letting more air in, That's why It was burning up all the plugs, it was lean but I was somewhat new to nitro when that happened so I didn't realize what is was at first.
Ah okay thanks.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
JoeMaxx

Igenerally suggest to people just starting out with tuning a Nitro engine purchase a temp gauge also. Now you do not use this toolfor tuning but as a guide to assist you with tuning your engine.

Most RTRNitro engines generally do not like temps above 250 Degrees and most of the time run their bestfor keeping them running along timeon the rich side between 220 to 250 Degrees. Traxxas Engines are an exception and 270 is the top end where they on the line before becoming too lean. I like to keep my Traxxas engines below 260 degrees on a 95 degree day in the summer time. Racing engines are also an exception especially if your running Race Blend High Nitro Content fuel withSynthetic Oils. Sport fuels tendto have a Caster/SyntheticOil blend.Caster Oil keeps the engines coolerwhile the Synthetic oils offer the bestprotection.You can run an engine hotter running a really good Race Fuel. I used to run 30% nitro racefuels for years until the price became to high. Now I run 20% Nitro Sport Fuels since I do not race them anymore.

You will never harm engine running it on the rich side but as I and others have said you will fry glow plugs and damage an engine by running it too hot or lean.

Temp Gauges are just a tool I carry in my pit box when I go out to play. I live in an area of the country where outdoortemps can vary by 20 degrees from one weekend tothe next weekend. Tuning is a daily thing and I spend the first halftank of fuel tuning my engines in for that day.

Air flow to the engine is also important. If your Nitro car or truckdoes not have a hole cut in the windshield I suggest you cut a hole to improve air flow to the engine. Many newer R/Cs have them but not all. If Your Nitro R/C does not have a hole cut in the windshield then I suggest you cut at least a 1 inch round hole on the side your engine is on. If it is a car I also suggest cutting out the rear windshield to also improve air flow over the engine. Make sure you have a clear path of air flowing over your engine and it will assist in keeping it cooler.

These are just some old school suggestions I like to make to someone starting out with Nitro R/Cs. You more experienced guys probably already know this

Here is a video that has some good information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdWWGZwQlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3WcPoa1DY
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
FuelCoupe

The fuel I wouldnt touch as its hydroscopic meaning it attracts moisture and this you wont see with the old MK1 eyeball. It may still be ok but the percentages will be way off and only add to your troubles down the track. If you do go nitro stick with the same percentage fuel as you break it in on. If your on a very limited budget I would suggest talking to some people that run nitro and go watch and learn before making the investment, it never hurts to have a experienced person show you the ropes. Failing that there is some really good advice above, look after a nitro and tune it right and they are not that expensive, but like anything get it wrong and you can burn money in a flash.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Microz

Cool thanks guys. Fuelcoupe, thats a good idea. I'll go to the track and talk to someone experienced in nitros.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM
ejc34710

It's hygroscopic. Synthetic and Castor do the same thing, lubricate the engine. If you cut a hole in your front window, make sure you cut a larger one in the back window so the air can actually flow through.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

It's hygroscopic. Synthetic and Castor do the same thing, lubricate the engine. If you cut a hole in your front window, make sure you cut a larger one in the back window so the air can actually flow through.
Okay thanks. I've heard about cutting a hole in the windows. In fact, my first nitro came with some already punched in.