Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

So, HPI USA...going down? (EDIT: Apparently not)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

So, HPI USA...going down? (EDIT: Apparently not)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: So, HPI USA...going down? (EDIT: Apparently not)

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Don't forget the rs4.
I don't put that in the 'good' category, I put it in the 'reasonable, but overpriced' category. The (better in my opinion) AE TC3 is 60 bucks cheaper for example.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ScottRPriester

Or take the OFNA LX2e, every bit the match of the Vorza, except for 4S electronics (the Vorza takes 6S out of the box), yet the Vorza costs 125%(!!) more!
Man, you guys like Ofna!
Actually I like their OEMs... Hobao (now under HPI, previously OFNA) and Hong Nor (still under OFNA). Both of those brands are excellent cars for the right prices. Always.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPI was going Bankrupt...Hobico bought out their assets..............I Am still pissed off they never did put on a throttle linkage that actually worked properly on the Savage, so they lost me as a fan many many years ago......Such a blatant error in the design, yet year after year they refused to fix it......
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Don't forget the rs4.
I don't put that in the 'good' category, I put it in the 'reasonable, but overpriced' category. The (better in my opinion) AE TC3 is 60 bucks cheaper for example.
Ha yes it is over priced, I got a great deal on mine barely used from a guy that thought the igniter was the glow plug haha.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: supertib

HPI was going Bankrupt...Hobico bought out their assets..............I Am still pissed off they never did put on a throttle linkage that actually worked properly on the Savage, so they lost me as a fan many many years ago......Such a blatant error in the design, yet year after year they refused to fix it......
Wait I thought the notice from HPI said that all Hobbico is doing is taking over the distribution part of the business, not that they bought out their assets. That would infer a change in ownership which was denied.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: ScottRPriester

Or take the OFNA LX2e, every bit the match of the Vorza, except for 4S electronics (the Vorza takes 6S out of the box), yet the Vorza costs 125%(!!) more!
Man, you guys like Ofna!
Actually I like their OEMs... Hobao (now under HPI, previously OFNA) and Hong Nor (still under OFNA). Both of those brands are excellent cars for the right prices. Always.
I still say they took hobao distributrion justto screw over ofna, and remove a cheap RTR that was hurting their sales.
Like you said been a few months they announced they were gonn asell 3 lineups, and nothing since(typical HPI fashion look at the gas savage "release" last year)
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

HPI USA doing nothing with HoBao now makes a lot of sense. It would seem they did not have the necessary funds to buy enough HoBao kits and parts to actually offer the line to the North American market. Brokering the distribution rights may have been a last ditch effort to save HPI USA as it was but they burned through their cash too fast to bring in product.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

My current Tower Hobbies Speedmart catalog has HoBao Hyper SS and Hyper 7 buggies (listed as distributed by HPI).

Looks like Hobbico / Great Planes absorbing HPI USA is importing HoBao. This can only be good! Hopefully they will expand the available product lines for the North American market.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm real interested in that HoBao Hyper 10SC .  Looks like a well-made truck with good parts and design.  I hope they get their act together.