RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is nitro dead?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Nick2618

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Is nitro dead?

This is my first post in a few years but a hobby shop owner recently told me nitro is dead. How true is it? Is anything really going on in the nitro world anymore?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Is nitro dead?

Your LHS owner is a moron. It's a stupid question and a non-issue.

Nitro is very much alive and isn't going anywhere. Same with airplanes, boats, helicopters, basket-weaving, coin collecting, etc.. All alive and well.

Please delete this thread.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 AM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Is nitro dead?

Delete yourself.

As for nitro being dead, no, not yet, but it is on the decline. Whether it may see a resurgence in future, I do not know, but these things tend to go in cycles. Right now brushless is on a big evolutionary up-curve, with lithium polymer batteries providing never before seen power delivery and runtimes when combined with brushless motors.

Traxxas is letting its nitro lineup stagnate, which is kind of telling for the state of the market in the bashing arena, however, the racing companies are still primarily producing nitro cars for nitro racing.

This has been discussed three times recently, so I'm going to lock it up and refer you to the other threads, feel free to add your own comments to the existing discussion...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11409933/tm.htm - 8 pages, last post only hours ago...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11368594/tm.htm - The previous Nitro vs Electric Debate, from about a month and a half ago. Good read but now locked, as these always are sooner or later (usually sooner, this one went really well by hostorical standards).