Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI RTR motor will not crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
bleufox6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI RTR motor will not crank

The new motor has a new glow plug, good nitro fuel, new roto starter with charge and then ... nothing. The rotor sarter wont crank the motor. It just catches and wont turn it...it is like something is jammed inside the motor...Any solutions? Please help!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM
JoeMaxx

Default RE: HPI RTR motor will not crank

This sounds like a classic case of a flooded engine. The engine floods with fuel and causes something we call Hydro Lock.

Clean all of the dirt around the glow plug with Nitro Cleaner than pull the glow plug. After you pull the glow plugstuff a little bit of paper towel down into the head.This is to keep you from getting fuel into your eyesor spraying fuel everywhere. Run the roto start a few times to clear the fuel from the engine.

Reinstall the glow plug. Make sure the Roto Start battery is fully charge and the Glow plug is good than attempt to restart the engine.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Chances are that new engine is ABC construction so a heat gun may be in order to get the starter to kick the engine over TDC.

Get the engine up to 150-180 degrees F, then crank it up. Should fire much easier this way.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
JoeMaxx

This guy is Hawaii so the outdoor temps will be warm this time of year

He just flooded it not uncommon with a new engine he might just alsoneed to charge his Glow Plug Igniter since he says his glow plug is new and clear the engine of fuel. Forgot to mention it in the first post.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read your manual.

No offense intended, but this problem is covered in the troubleshooting section. As others have said, it is likely 'flooded'. Take out the glow plug turn the car and engine upside down to get excess fuel out, leave the glow plug off for a few minutes, prime the engine ONLY until the fuel just disappears into the carb, then put the glow starter on. Despite living in a warm climate, it still may be worth heating the motor up using a powerful hair dryer or hot air gun, it will just make things easier. Another tip for starting new engines is not screwing the glow plug in all the way. When you put the glow plug back, wind it all the way, then back it out just a half turn. This will not prevent the engine from firing, just release some of the pressure on the piston when its at TDC. Once it's running, tighten it up.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have an AAC engine that gets stuck before TDC even when it's 100*F, so ambient ambient temps mean little.

The engine could be flooded too I suppose.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM
bleufox6

Yes I am in Hawaii, and thank you all for the abundance of information.  I should reiterate though about the "turn over" of the engine.  The rotostarter physically locks up in the starting port of the motor.  It has a full charge and works properly.  As soon as it is inserted, it just locks up.  It seems to be a mechanical issue. The motor just doesnt physically turn.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others noted, it sounds flooded. It's real easy to flood with a roto-start. Have you tried turning it over with the glow plug out?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
JoeMaxx

ORIGINAL: bleufox6

Yes I am in Hawaii, and thank you all for the abundance of information. I should reiterate though about the "turn over" of the engine. The rotostarter physically locks up in the starting port of the motor. It has a full charge and works properly. As soon as it is inserted, it just locks up. It seems to be a mechanical issue. The motor just doesnt physically turn.
Did you install the Roto start yourself or was it factory installed? Has the engineever turned overwith the roto start system?Can you run the Roto Start without the Glow Plug installed?

Just a few extra thoughts.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 PM
bleufox6

I figured out that the piston and sleeve are somehow jammed and the the piston shaved metal off the inside causing the it to not move any further. A brand new engine and its just F&^%d.  Royally.  This is not good.  I'm not giving up on HPI but I am very close.  It was the first crank on the new engine and it seizes...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Foxy

They'll warranty it for you. Please let us know how that goes.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
bleufox6

Will do Foxy!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
bleufox6

Foxy,

Called HPI yesterday and they are sending out a completely new motor at no cost.  Excellent customer service.  They really redeemed themselves and look forward to more business with them.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Foxy

Very good to hear. Great result.