Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Proline Body/Wing for D8T

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proline Body/Wing for D8T

Hey all, thought I would post a pic of my new body, which is a Proline Bulldog body for my D8T. In all candor, I feel I should have gone with the JConcepts body, andbelow is why. In fact, I'm probably gonna use the Proline body as my practice body and my stock body (also pictured) as my racing body.

1. The body is a BEATING to get fit. It does not mount on the front body posts as they are way too low.
2. The only option is to drill holes in your shock tower for both the screw and the brace pin, and there is no way I'm doing that for just a body.That was not the only areas were it was tough to fit.
3. Instead I put some Losi 8ightT 'tall' posts on it. They work fine, but need something to brace them. Any thoughts on what I can use to brace them? Because there is no brace pin, they wobble. It would need to be a brace I can put on/off....see below.
4. I had planned on using this as my racing body, but am now thinking Iwill just use it as my practice body. I don't like the idea of changing out body posts (with the brace), etc. The Bulldog body looks cool, but I'm more about whatever the heck will fit and least maintenance during a race,
5.The wing has no screw holes for the wing mount. Nice! Not sure why PL sells a HB D8T wing that does not even provide screw holes. Yea, when I have time I can do this.....but I have many other pressing things to handle then worrying about a wing. Thus keeping the stock wing on it.

Anyway, just my rant/review on this body. If you are a pro it's a bad-***** looking body. However, if you are a spare like me and simply want a clear body you can paint/score/peel/cut/mount.....I'd recommend the JConcepts Punisher.

ps am STILLpissed about that da** wing. Who the eff wants to drll their own wing holes. Should NOT the Wing Holder hanle this ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42362.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	1859048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93522.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	1859049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74235.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	1859050  
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Proline Body/Wing for D8T

dunno I bought a j-concepts body once for my crt.5 they labled it for the drt.5, but it don't fit the crt.5...
The bumps in the rear where the shock tower posts are supposed to go were not molded in the proper location so they hit the shock tower. I'd never bu another one of their bodies looking how poorly it was made. Also I found the material kinda thin compared to proline

for the record from what I remember the HPI wing for truggies has no holes drilled its so you can mount it as far forward or back as you want. If you notice there are little marks on the back where you should drill (well on the HPI one I had) for additional settings
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

dunno I bought a j-concepts body once for my crt.5 they labled it for the drt.5, but it don't fit the crt.5...
The bumps in the rear where the shock tower posts are supposed to go were not molded in the proper location so they hit the shock tower. I'd never bu another one of their bodies looking how poorly it was made. Also I found the material kinda thin compared to proline

for the record from what I remember the HPI wing for truggies has no holes drilled its so you can mount it as far forward or back as you want. If you notice there are little marks on the back where you should drill (well on the HPI one I had) for additional settings
I had just the opposite experience. I got two bodys from J that fit well on my Jato's and were remarkably thicker than the stock body from Traxxass. Didn't care for the wing portion of the body, first flip over and it was toast since it was just the body material painted, but the body is nice.

John, I like the look of both. I like the blue as it is my favorite color. The third image white/blue I am assuming is the stock body is my fav of the two. Good luck in the races this weekend.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Foxy

I can't help wondering if you got a body designed for another car in the wrong packet with the wrong label, even if the decal sheet is right.

That thing with the front body posts is ridiculous, and I would be contacting proline to ask them wth?

I too am a big Jconcepts fan, I like how thick and flexible their bodies are, takes quite a beating to split or break them.

By the way, the wing thing is so that people can mount the wing precisely where they want it. A lot of wings are supplied like this. The wing mount allows raising and lowering, rake angle adjustment, but not much (sometimes two settings, sometimes none) adjustment in terms of moving it forward or back, which can be achieved by drilling the holes where you want them. I'm OCD about wings that are supplied like this. I get teh caliper out and do a BUNCH of measurements and pencil marks to make sure I get it dead center. I HATE when a wing looks like its at a funny angle. Tip, don't use a drill to make the holes, use a hand reamer and go slow (your thumb muscles will hurt lol), it is much easier to correct if the hole starts going off course.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I can't help wondering if you got a body designed for another car in the wrong packet with the wrong label, even if the decal sheet is right. That thing with the front body posts is ridiculous, and I would be contacting proline to ask them wth?
It's the right one. Even on PL's website, there are "special instructions" for drilling holes in the shock tower to mount. To my knowledge this is JUST for the D8T. All there other buggy/truggy bodies fit like a glove.

By the way, the wing thing is so that people can mount the wing precisely where they want it. A lot of wings are supplied like this.
Interesting to know. Yes, there are little "squares" on the back that can be used to mark. Glad I can use my reamer instead of drilling as when I do it will want to be precise. As noted, it is a LOWpriority for me now..

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I can't help wondering if you got a body designed for another car in the wrong packet with the wrong label, even if the decal sheet is right.

That thing with the front body posts is ridiculous, and I would be contacting proline to ask them wth?

I too am a big Jconcepts fan, I like how thick and flexible their bodies are, takes quite a beating to split or break them.

By the way, the wing thing is so that people can mount the wing precisely where they want it. A lot of wings are supplied like this. The wing mount allows raising and lowering, rake angle adjustment, but not much (sometimes two settings, sometimes none) adjustment in terms of moving it forward or back, which can be achieved by drilling the holes where you want them. I'm OCD about wings that are supplied like this. I get teh caliper out and do a BUNCH of measurements and pencil marks to make sure I get it dead center. I HATE when a wing looks like its at a funny angle. Tip, don't use a drill to make the holes, use a hand reamer and go slow (your thumb muscles will hurt lol), it is much easier to correct if the hole starts going off course.
I've had similar happen bought what was labeled a Mazda RX-7 for my on-road, and got a NISSAN 350Z HANKOOK in the bag with the nissan stickers, but the RX7 instructions, and wing mounts(with the nissan mounts it was weird). I was just too lazy to return it, and decided to use it seeing it would have cost me almost as much as the body cost itself to return it.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
JohnP2

I wanted to follow up on this. I went ahead and put the wing on my son's Losi buggy (his was so bad I was concerned with him even racing with it - so kind of 'had' to do it).

I took Foxy's advice and used a body reamer.

It worked like a champ! Chock this up to something I was a little intimidated to do, but it took all of 15 minutes and had zero problems. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42328.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	1864962