Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Stuck pinion set screw

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck pinion set screw

I am trying to change the pinion on my LX2e froma 14t to a 16t, and I cannot get the set screw off for the life of me! I have stripped many hex wrenches, even new ones in the process of trying to get it loose. I was thinking of just trying to slide it off the motor shaft carefully, but wasn't sure if I should. I did this once before and it worked great, but that was on a $15 Titan 550 motor. Any tips or recommendations on what I can do?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Stuck pinion set screw

get yourself a pinion gear puller, it can pull it off while supporting the shaft

ive got one of these and I can say it works a treat

[link=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PINION-GEAR-PULLER-FOR-UP-TO-5MM-MOTOR-SHAFTS-RC-Helicopter-Worldwide-Free-Ship-/180844894538?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_V ehicles&hash=item2a1b32194a]ebay[/link]
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM
cumminspower5.9

I should have clarified lol. Rather than spending money on more tools...

Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Argess

It may have thread-locker on it. A small amount of heat will help. Not a lot as you don't want to ruin anything. 3 to 5 seconds with a small butane torch should be all it needs to soften the thread-locker.

Also, I use a hex-bit with a 1/4" drive socket wrench for better leverage and a stronger/better grip in the screw.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well I'm pretty sure it has thread locker on it since it is straight from the factory and has never been taken off. The problem is, is that even if the thread locker does come loose, I doubt my hex wrenches will grab the set screw. If I cannot get it off by applying some heat, I may just try sliding it off with a pair of pliers. I know it will take some grunt though.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't mind writing the pinion off you can take a dremel and put a small notch on the set screw. then use a flat head screwdriver and get it out and of course don't make it to deep
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
cumminspower5.9

Don't have a dremel lol. I did some research and read up on the ways to remove it. You guys mentioned all but using a pair of wire cutters to pry it off, using the bellhousing as leverage. Although I will try heating the pinion to loosen the thread locker first.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Argess

I think the concern is thread-locker on the setscrew threads, so use a little heat and immediately try to loosen the setscrew.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a good set of hex wrenches.  They'll stop most of the stripped hex screw problem.  Those L hex wrenches are usually junk. Too soft.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Don't have a dremel lol. I did some research and read up on the ways to remove it. You guys mentioned all but using a pair of wire cutters to pry it off, using the bellhousing as leverage. Although I will try heating the pinion to loosen the thread locker first.
That's because it's not a good method. Depending on how tight the pinion is on the shaft, the motor internals or shaft may be damaged. Either pulling it with a puller or slotting the screw with a cut off wheel are much better options. Sometimes you need to spend a little to get something done right.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well, without a Dremel, pinion puller, or an expensive set of allen tools, The only thing left is to heat the pinion and set screw, and jump right in to loosening the set screw. Hopefully this will work. If not, I will have to see what my dadhas for tools, see if I can rig up a puller or something.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
littlemel

drill the set screw out............
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: littlemel

drill the set screw out............
I was amazed no one posted this, lol!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM
cumminspower5.9

Drilling it out is an option, but I don't want to risk damaging the motor shaft. But is is a considerable action. But on the otherhand, If i want to use the 14t pinion again, I cant

Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this after replied to your pm. Pry it off and then later dremel a groove in the set screw to get it out, when you either have a dremel or can get someone else to do it for you.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
cumminspower5.9

I think that's the only way to deal with it right now with the tools I have. Heat it up and see if it will loosen. If not pry it off! I've done it before, and never damaged the motor or shaft, just have to be careful. I need more hobby specific tools lol
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
sparky 25

Here's a good quality pinion removal tool for little money,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I broke a 5mm motor shaft right where it exits the motor while prying off a stuck pinion had it almost half way off with a pair of pliers prying off the motor mount then snap,

The motor shafts take NO side force and can snap easily.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
phmaximus

so let me guess this right, u want to remove the pinion, but dont want to buy anything, u are happy to try and rip the pinion off the shaft but not drilling it out?????

Applying excessive laterial pressure to the motor shaft isgoing to do more damage to the motor than drilling out the screw. My tip is if u drill out the screw, stop before u hit the motor shaft. Then u dont have to worry about damaging it.

I agree with The Mad Modder
"Sometimes you need to spend a little to get something done right"

here is a nother method.......

clamp the pinion in a vice, use a 2mm centre punch and hammer to back out the shaft from the pinion.
u have a vice, centre punch and a hammer right?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

so let me guess this right, u want to remove the pinion, but dont want to buy anything, u are happy to try and rip the pinion off the shaft but not drilling it out?????

Applying excessive laterial pressure to the motor shaft isgoing to do more damage to the motor than drilling out the screw. My tip is if u drill out the screw, stop before u hit the motor shaft. Then u dont have to worry about damaging it.

"Sometimes you need to spend a little to get something done right"

clamp the pinion in a vice, use a 2mm centre punch and hammer to back out the shaft from the pinion.
I know it sounds ridiculous, and makes me look like a cheapy. But usually I find good methods of doing things that don't cost me money. I like your idea of clamping the pinion in a vice and punching out the shaft. I will definitely try that if heat doesn't work. drilling would be my last option as I may want to use stock pinion at some point.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

''Sometimes you need to spend a little to get something done right''

I know it sounds ridiculous, and makes me look like a cheapy. But usually I find good methods of doing things that don't cost me money. I like your idea of clamping the pinion in a vice and punching out the shaft. I will definitely try that if heat doesn't work. drilling would be my last option as I may want to use stock pinion at some point.
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

The stock pinion is toast... drill it and forget it... you can always buy another pinion.. oh wait a minute.. you don't want to spend anything... never mind ignore.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

could probably buy a cheap hacksaw (under $5 from most stores home improvement stores) to cut the notch instead of a dremel if you are really hard up on cash. it SHOULD work
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

The stock pinion is toast... drill it and forget it... you can always buy another pinion.. oh wait a minute.. you don't want to spend anything... never mind ignore.
Funny, But harsh...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 AM
cumminspower5.9

Great post!

Morons....trolling the internet since the 1960's
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Sometimes you just have to say it straight up. Now the OP knows the heat trick to free up a set screw. I use an electrical soldering iron. Once you have rounded off the set screw.. there is not much you can do about it. Cutting a slot would be very hard to do and not much metal to work with. I used that slotting trick just last week on a servo screw... if it won't budge... use some heat to free it up. The new pinion is not that much, but if you yank and pull on the rotor, you may end up replacing the motor too!

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Funny, But harsh...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.