Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What "dumb" things have you done in relation to R.C.?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What "dumb" things have you done in relation to R.C.?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Had a child.
Oh....but wait 8-10 years. THAT is when you'll start truly enjoying "the hobby". And here's hoping your first born turns out to be a nitro-head. ;-)
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
cenracer1

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Had a child.
Oh....but wait 8-10 years. THAT is when you'll start truly enjoying ''the hobby''. And here's hoping your first born turns out to be a nitro-head. ;-)
I can agree with that. My kids are all into r/c now.. good problem to have but now its even more expensive than it was before. I just got both my girls each their own TT01's with custom painted bodies for them to run when I go out. My son has several cars now and it only gets more expensive.. but worth it.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have anything significant like you guys are describing, but when I was just getting into the hobby (about 8 years ago)  I bought a used Savage .21. That truck gave me nothing but problems. One issue after another. One time the battery went dead in the transmitter...slammed the truck into the garage at maybe 30mph. Bent one of the TVP's and that was it surprisingly. Next time was when I was driving around for about 15 minutes, and the receiver pack died. It went full throttle across the road, flipped into a ditch, and the engine got knocked off the mount, pushing it away from the spur gear, still running wide open. I took my time to get to it because at that point, I was hoping the engine would blow, but it never did. I sold it for $200 as it had all new diffs, new 3 speed tranny, and new dirt bonz tires. I was so happy to sell it lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Got into planes, not satisfied with one, bought 2 or 3 more. Got scared hearing horror stories and never flew them. Sold them all.
2. Sliced finger open with exacto knife.
3. Trying to sell rc truck and trying to start it with dead glow igniter
4. Running truck on low batteries and it goes full throttle and drives off into the sunset in a city parking lot, thank god it did not hit anything or anyone.
5. I always over richen the high and low spd fuel screws.
6 Screw up simple break in procedures.
7. I go OCD on everything if one is good then more are better, now I have over 20 rc trucks and cars, 2 1/5 scale gas and 1 1/8 lipo battery buggy. Worse part I refused to sell them at a loss and many arent produced anymore. Not bragging, just saying. 1 beer good, 20 beers much better.
8. For me simpler is better, these new computer radios intimidate the heck out of me.
9. I can screw up a good dream if you get my drift.
10. Apply loctite to clutch bell screw I use to much and it seaps past the bearings and loctites bearings the cylinder and such. I used after run oil to loosen it up.
11. Glued finger tips together.
12. If you don't know some of that quick CA glue will burn a whole right threw your pants.
13. I used to work on Honda motorcycles for a living, actually a apprentice. I tuned up a cb 750 and it would not start. Note must have clutch lever pulled in for electric starter to work.
14. Tried to pull head on cb 750 no go, wedged big screw driver in to pry up. No go. 4 rubber plugs on head. Head screws under these. ( note to self when in doubt refer to manual).

Note to everyone don't work on things when you are tired or pissed off, I gurantee you will mess things up, even simple things you have done many times before.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM
9five9

dumbest thing I did was ran my Stampede in a park. I tried to impress a bunch of people who gathered around to watch and immediately drove straight into a fence post, breaking a control arm, bearing carrier, bulkhead, servo gear set, body.....and my pride.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 9five9

dumbest thing I did was ran my Stampede in a park. I tried to impress a bunch of people who gathered around to watch and immediately drove straight into a fence post, breaking a control arm, bearing carrier, bulkhead, servo gear set, body.....and my pride.
HaHa!. I bet we've all done some version of that!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: silverman1

1. Got into planes, not satisfied with one, bought 2 or 3 more. Got scared hearing horror stories and never flew them. Sold them all.
2. Sliced finger open with exacto knife.
3. Trying to sell rc truck and trying to start it with dead glow igniter
4. Running truck on low batteries and it goes full throttle and drives off into the sunset in a city parking lot, thank god it did not hit anything or anyone.
5. I always over richen the high and low spd fuel screws.
6 Screw up simple break in procedures.
7. I go OCD on everything if one is good then more are better, now I have over 20 rc trucks and cars, 2 1/5 scale gas and 1 1/8 lipo battery buggy. Worse part I refused to sell them at a loss and many arent produced anymore. Not bragging, just saying. 1 beer good, 20 beers much better.
8. For me simpler is better, these new computer radios intimidate the heck out of me.
9. I can screw up a good dream if you get my drift.
10. Apply loctite to clutch bell screw I use to much and it seaps past the bearings and loctites bearings the cylinder and such. I used after run oil to loosen it up.
11. Glued finger tips together.
12. If you don't know some of that quick CA glue will burn a whole right threw your pants.
13. I used to work on Honda motorcycles for a living, actually a apprentice. I tuned up a cb 750 and it would not start. Note must have clutch lever pulled in for electric starter to work.
14. Tried to pull head on cb 750 no go, wedged big screw driver in to pry up. No go. 4 rubber plugs on head. Head screws under these. ( note to self when in doubt refer to manual).

Note to everyone don't work on things when you are tired or pissed off, I gurantee you will mess things up, even simple things you have done many times before.
Funny stuff! I think I have the 20 beers is better than 1 disposition my self...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 AM
The Mad Modder

1. Hooked up both the + and - wires of an esc to the same terminal of a motor(it was an old brushed rebuildable motor with two terminal spots on each side). Luckily, I didn't damage the esc.
2. Put 2.2 truck tires on a sedan(hpi rs4 rally), didn't even lower the gear ratio. Burned up a perfectl good Trinity p2k2.[]
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM
NOVAMEGA

Back in 2000 I had a nitro rs4 a with a brand new os cv-r .12 ...so i break it in ...it ran great damn near perfect BUT for what ever reason I wanted to make it louder SOOO I drilled a few holes in my pipe :-/

It was louder. ... But .. Well ... I'm sure you guys know what happen after running like that for awhile .. $120 bucks down the drain
Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 AM
FuelCoupe

Changed gearing today, swapped the slipper clutch over and set it as normal and went for a run, some serious slippage of the clutch and a weird clunking now and then  so I go back and discover 2 of the 3 shoes sitting in the bottom of the gearbox. How I didint see two clutch shoes sitting there when I put it together I dont know.