Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

found this

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default found this

not sure this is the right sub forum but it can be moved if im wrong

found this story http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3069475.html

watch out the meth heads are after your cars!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 AM
turok007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: found this

im from the UK and we only really have knife crime. but over here you will be stabbed then have your mobile / pushbike / coat / trainers / RC car/ fishing gear stolen. what makes it worse is they will only sell it for £10 at a cash converters store.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:17 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Omg that's crazy,

Wonder what it was?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Omg that's crazy,

Wonder what it was?
drug addicts will do almost anything to get a hit of whatever they are on. I've heard of people knifed for $5 so the kids lucky that's all he got done
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM
FahrtAutoRC

It would be a HUGE mistake to pull this with us haha My buddy who is renting out our guest room bashes his with me every time I go out, and he is a CCW holder. Try it at our house? Not a chance, house is protected by Remington and the Ohio Castle Doctrine

But us and our 'Murican gun fetishery aside, that is low, cowardly and angering to do this to some 16 yr old KID!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad world for sure. [&o]
Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

it don't take drug addicts to pull a jack move on you in my hood. and that right there is the main reason i don't like having people i don't know around when im bashing. it's also why i carry a knife when i bash (even in my own front yard). gun or not, you're going to have to turn your back on me to run away.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

it don't take drug addicts to pull a jack move on you in my hood. and that right there is the main reason i don't like having people i don't know around when im bashing. it's also why i carry a knife when i bash (even in my own front yard). gun or not, you're going to have to turn your back on me to run away.
Sounds like a nice hood...J/k
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
phmaximus

How pissed would the robber be when he realized it was a traxxas....
Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

That's just insane. What I don't understand is how Craigslist and pawn shops can sell stolen merchandise. Anybody know why the laws are so slack regarding this? Certainly if thieves had no where to pedal stolen merchandise it would substantially cut down on crime including violent crime. I HATE thieves. Had an incident with one face to face involving my girlfriend.  I bounced him off his head and he spent quite a long time in the hospital and has permanent damage. The police and prosecutor came after me hard. Several trips to court later I won, charges dropped. The world is backwards.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: big JC

That's just insane. What I don't understand is how Craigslist and pawn shops can sell stolen merchandise. Anybody know why the laws are so slack regarding this? Certainly if thieves had no where to pedal stolen merchandise it would substantially cut down on crime including violent crime. I HATE thieves. Had an incident with one face to face involving my girlfriend. I bounced him off his head and he spent quite a long time in the hospital and has permanent damage. The police and prosecutor came after me hard. Several trips to court later I won, charges dropped. The world is backwards.

pawn shops can't
trust me my brother used to own one like 8 years ago
Here's how a pawn shop is SUPPOSED to work(well at least where I live). When someone sells you an item you have to take their ID(state or drivers license), and make a photo copy in the purchase log that has to be attached to the ID is the serial numbers of everything you bought, and description. From what I remember he then had to enter the info into a database, and hold the items for 30 days in case someone reported it stolen. If that happened the police would come, and pick up the merchandise, and take the contact info for the person who sold it, and the shop would lose the money which is also why they pay next to nothing for stuff off people.
Gold is a little different they would have to hold it, but that was hard to trace. Also most gold that they bought was just melted down as it was in bad shape.

Now if a shop owner was caught buying merchandise they knew was stolen they would be arrested, and that happened a few times from what I was told to the pawn shop that was down the street from my brother. He also occasionally dealt with a shop owner who ignored all the laws, and would put stuff sold to him right on sale(my brother mainly bought broken PS2's, and xbox's off him for parts so I could repair the ones he got in his shop).

Craigslist doesn't sell a single thing so I dunno why you say they sell stolen merchandise. Now people selling stuff on craigslist is different, and not everything there is stolen so basically a cop would have to visit every seller, and check the serial numbers of everything being sold vs the database which is not feasible.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Foxy

EDIT: Yes, yes, I posted in the wrong thread, ha ha, I'm stoopid.

I don't actually know how that happened, I didn't open this thread at all today, but what the hey.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You must go and bid on that Xray T3 (lot 10). Don't pay more than 200 bucks (it's probably worth 400, but with all those hidden auction costs they have, stick to 200, you'll probably get it if most of the punters are there for the tin stuff), but if you get it under 200, you have one of the finest RC's available for peanuts. It's only recently been replaced by the T4.
wrong thread...
now go move your damn post to the proper thread
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM
redfisher1974

HA...HA
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Foxy

No.

Oh, alright then....[&o]
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Busted Hehehehe
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
trax de max

ORIGINAL: turok007

im from the UK and we only really have knife crime. but over here you will be stabbed then have your mobile / pushbike / coat / trainers / RC car/ fishing gear stolen. what makes it worse is they will only sell it for £10 at a cash converters store.
We have smack rats hang about in the woods where we bash. The nearest building is the police station too and you have to walk by it to get to the bash spot
[link]http://<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=55.189306,-1.572139&spn=0.009163,0.01929&t=h&z=16&output=embe d"></iframe>
View Larger Map[/link]
Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

he would probably come back and air you out for that. cause he wanted to steal a good RC.

dangerous idiots with weapons, can't live with them. can't put them on death row. this stupid state.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

That's just insane. What I don't understand is how Craigslist and pawn shops can sell stolen merchandise. Anybody know why the laws are so slack regarding this? Certainly if thieves had no where to pedal stolen merchandise it would substantially cut down on crime including violent crime. I HATE thieves. Had an incident with one face to face involving my girlfriend. I bounced him off his head and he spent quite a long time in the hospital and has permanent damage. The police and prosecutor came after me hard. Several trips to court later I won, charges dropped. The world is backwards.

pawn shops can't
Here's how a pawn shop is SUPPOSED to work(well at least where I live). When someone sells you an item you have to take their ID(state or drivers license), and make a photo copy in the purchase log that has to be attached to the ID is the serial numbers of everything you bought, and description. From what I remember he then had to enter the info into a database, and hold the items for 30 days in case someone reported it stolen. If that happened the police would come, and pick up the merchandise, and take the contact info for the person who sold it, and the shop would lose the money which is also why they pay next to nothing for stuff off people.
Gold is a little different they would have to hold it, but that was hard to trace. Also most gold that they bought was just melted down as it was in bad shape.

Now if a shop owner was caught buying merchandise they knew was stolen they would be arrested, and that happened a few times from what I was told to the pawn shop that was down the street from my brother. He also occasionally dealt with a shop owner who ignored all the laws, and would put stuff sold to him right on sale(my brother mainly bought broken PS2's, and xbox's off him for parts so I could repair the ones he got in his shop).

Craigslist doesn't sell a single thing so I dunno why you say they sell stolen merchandise. Now people selling stuff on craigslist is different, and not everything there is stolen so basically a cop would have to visit every seller, and check the serial numbers of everything being sold vs the database which is not feasible.
Yep yep I'm aware of all that and didn't mean craigslist sold stuff directly exactly. Here's the problem with that "system". Most people don't know the serial # of their stuff when it gets stolen. Most petty items thieves steal for resale is electronics. Most thieves know you don't have your serial #'s written down and resell your stuff a couple towns down in relative anonymity. The only data base the authorities use to track stolen goods is the serial #. See the problem here? Yeah well so does everybody else including your local pawn shop. Furthermore, craigslist has zero checks & balances. This is serious stuff, people die every day, every hour, every minute in direct relation to thieves stealing stuff with the intent to profit. The solution to me seems real easy. If you can't produce a receipt, you can't sell your stuff on ebay or the pawn shop, or craigslist. Problem solved......crime rates drop everywhere, and there would even be less drug addiction.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

pawn shops can't

Yep yep I'm aware of all that and didn't mean craigslist sold stuff directly exactly. Here's the problem with that ''system''. Most people don't know the serial # of their stuff when it gets stolen. Most petty items thieves steal for resale is electronics. Most thieves know you don't have your serial #'s written down and resell your stuff a couple towns down in relative anonymity. The only data base the authorities use to track stolen goods is the serial #. See the problem here? Yeah well so does everybody else including your local pawn shop. Furthermore, craigslist has zero checks & balances. This is serious stuff, people die every day, every hour, every minute in direct relation to thieves stealing stuff with the intent to profit. The solution to me seems real easy. If you can't produce a receipt, you can't sell your stuff on ebay or the pawn shop, or craigslist. Problem solved......crime rates drop everywhere, and there would even be less drug addiction.
umm that system is the only one you can have. Its not broke the people are broke. Most box's have the serial number written on them for major purchases. I don't chuck a box till after the warranty is up in case it has to be shipped back.

Don't take this the wrong way now that you can't produce a receipt thing is completely 100% idiotic. I can't produce receipts for any of my RC's(or 98% of what I own), and after the warranty is up I chuck those with the box's. Plus how many receipts have have you seen that are legible after a few months? Also if say you then buy something 2nd hand off me, and want to sell it later then what do? Do you think I would give you my receipt with my info on it?
Also what stops people from making fake receipts? majority of the ones I get are invoices printed on standard paper on a laser jet from companies. What isn't stopping thieves from just making a knockoff of a companies letterhead, and printing a fake receipt?

Then also how many people would then just tape the receipt to the item itself so they don't lose it cause in case they want to sell it some day.

Also crime rates along with drug addiction would not drop in the slightest they would just go to mugging people, and forcing them to ATMs to withdraw all their money before potentially killing em. Basically crimes would probably get more violent with more victims losing their lives instead of posessions.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
big JC

pawn shops can't

Yep yep I'm aware of all that and didn't mean craigslist sold stuff directly exactly. Here's the problem with that ''system''. Most people don't know the serial # of their stuff when it gets stolen. Most petty items thieves steal for resale is electronics. Most thieves know you don't have your serial #'s written down and resell your stuff a couple towns down in relative anonymity. The only data base the authorities use to track stolen goods is the serial #. See the problem here? Yeah well so does everybody else including your local pawn shop. Furthermore, craigslist has zero checks & balances. This is serious stuff, people die every day, every hour, every minute in direct relation to thieves stealing stuff with the intent to profit. The solution to me seems real easy. If you can't produce a receipt, you can't sell your stuff on ebay or the pawn shop, or craigslist. Problem solved......crime rates drop everywhere, and there would even be less drug addiction.
umm that system is the only one you can have. Its not broke the people are broke. Most box's have the serial number written on them for major purchases. I don't chuck a box till after the warranty is up in case it has to be shipped back.

Don't take this the wrong way now that you can't produce a receipt thing is completely 100% idiotic. I can't produce receipts for any of my RC's(or 98% of what I own), and after the warranty is up I chuck those with the box's. Plus how many receipts have have you seen that are legible after a few months? Also if say you then buy something 2nd hand off me, and want to sell it later then what do? Do you think I would give you my receipt with my info on it?
Also what stops people from making fake receipts? majority of the ones I get are invoices printed on standard paper on a laser jet from companies. What isn't stopping thieves from just making a knockoff of a companies letterhead, and printing a fake receipt?

Then also how many people would then just tape the receipt to the item itself so they don't lose it cause in case they want to sell it some day.

Also crime rates along with drug addiction would not drop in the slightest they would just go to mugging people, and forcing them to ATMs to withdraw all their money before potentially killing em. Basically crimes would probably get more violent with more victims losing their lives instead of posessions.
You may keep your boxes but certainly everybody doesn't. Fact of the matter is serial #'s do not stop the resale of stolen merchandise period. For high dollar purchases people most definitely keep their receipts and transfer it with a second hand sale as this is how the buyer may redeem a warranty. Resale with a receipt for things like high end mountain bikes, motor cycles, atv's etc etc is the norm. You do have a point with faked receipts though. However that is nothing very simple and inexpensive technology couldn't solve, as it's difficult to fake bar codes. Not to mention not to many opportunist crack heads will be faking receipts. As to your other point as it increasing violent crime....no. Most thieves are not violent by nature but opportunist that go out of their way to avoid conflict. Nothing personal syco but the whole serial # thing simply doesn't work. Most people that think outside of the box are labeled idiots by the people stuck in that same box.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
phmaximus

pawn shops can't

You may keep your boxes but certainly everybody doesn't. Fact of the matter is serial #'s do not stop the resale of stolen merchandise period. For high dollar purchases people most definitely keep their receipts and transfer it with a second hand sale as this is how the buyer may redeem a warranty. Resale with a receipt for things like high end mountain bikes, motor cycles, atv's etc etc is the norm. You do have a point with faked receipts though. However that is nothing very simple and inexpensive technology couldn't solve, as it's difficult to fake bar codes. Not to mention not to many opportunist crack heads will be faking receipts. As to your other point as it increasing violent crime....no. Most thieves are not violent by nature but opportunist that go out of their way to avoid conflict. Nothing personal syco but the whole serial # thing simply doesn't work. Most people that think outside of the box are labeled idiots by the people stuck in that same box.
Lol that's one big quote... Sorry had to quote it
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

pawn shops can't

you never dealt with drug addicts I can see...
Where I work we deal MAINLY with drug addicts, and trust me when they don't get a hit they get from agitated to extremely violent, and will do insane unpredictable things. Some yes if you look at them they will run, but if they get you by surprise they will beat the hell out of you or try to kill you.

Your inexpensive technology would put a lot of places under... I think outside the box all the time, just unlike you I can see why it would fail terribly.
So you want to save a receipt for EVERY single item you own... Yes ok fine for extremely big items like ATV's Motor cycles(wouldn't that be a title like with cars?), cars etc that might be the standard. But now save a receipt for every little tiny thing you own till you throw it away. Now how many boxes of receipt will you have, and how much fun will it be to find that receipt in that mountain when you want to sell it?
So you can't see why its a worst idea then the serial numbers?
If people cared about their stuff they would write the serial numbers down plain and simple.
And trust me like I said the serial number thing don't fail as my brother lost thousands of dollars in stuff the police came and confiscated due to the serial numbers being turned in as stolen. Its the people that fail as writing a serial number down is not hard, and is a hell of a lot easier than your idea of saving a receipt.

But I digress as this is way off topic now
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 AM
big JC

I agree we are way off topic. My simple point is serial #'s don't get the job done.  I don't see how saving a receipt would be any more cumbersome  than writing your serial # down "for every little single thing" as you say. To the contrary receipts are actually easier to save as most people that pay with a credit/depit card have record they have access to online so the argument holds no water. Furthermore, it would be zero extra financial strain on any end retailer as they all (to my knowledge) already have the ability to print a bar code with the receipt. I know drug addiction all to well it does make people irrational. Hence needing a better system to regulate the resale of stolen goods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.