Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

nitro

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 AM
dan rox 90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro

hi, iam a biginner to bitro. and i was wonder wat ihave to do after and before starting the car. i heard that the piston has to be at the bottomafter each tank. and the pistion has to be at the topto start it up.
plz reply
cheers!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: nitro

You heard correctly, at least during break-in procedures that is true. After breaking-in you don't need to worry about anything except not to leave the piston stuck at TDC (Top Dead Center) after running. Also, after-run oil is not required unless you plan to store the car for a number of weeks or more, OR if you leave unburnt fuel in the engine or fuel lines (running the car til it stops from fuel running out means you don't need to use After run oil, there will be very little unburnt fuel still in the engine). If you are wondering why unburnt fuel in the engine is a bad thing, it's because nitro fuel is hygroscopic in nature (it absorbs water, then evaporates, depositing the water on your engine internals, corroding the engine). An acceptable and cheap alternative to hobby type after run oil, is WD40.

Finally, as a general tip, when you fuel the car, make sure to squeeze the excess air out of the bottle (of course this will make the bottle deform, that's ok) and put the top on, your fuel will degrade if it has lots of air in the bottle to chemically interact with.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM
dan rox 90

thanks heaps anything else
plz reply
Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
cumquat

make sure the tank is filled, the ignitor is charged, the receiver pack is charged/has fresh batteries and the air filter is clean, oiled and securely attached to the engine. all of these are very easy to overlook and will drive you crazy.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 AM
dan rox 90

um what can i use instead of air filter oil. because the oil is come on monday and i want to srive the car on saturday. can i use olive oil?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM
cumquat

no, but you can go to an auto parts store and look for the oil they use in ATV and dirt bike filters. same stuff in a bigger bottle.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM
dan rox 90

could i use anthing else !!
plz reply
Old 04-18-2013, 02:16 PM
dan rox 90

how much air filter oil do i need to use?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: dan rox 90

how much air filter oil do i need to use?
About 2 tablespoons.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of people using Crisco. Unsure if you have that product in Australia, but anything really to slightly dampen the air-filter with an oily substance will work. If you're really in a pinch, I imagine any sort of corn/vegetable oil would work.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM
dan rox 90

could i use shock oil
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Foxy

No, you can't use a silicone based oil, it will just drip off slowly anyway, but in any case, filter oil needs to be sticky.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:48 AM
dan rox 90

so what else could i use plz help!!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 AM
dan rox 90

is vegetable oil ok
Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 AM
cumquat

i wouldnt if i were you.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Foxy

Honey would be better than vegetable oil, I'm not kidding (actually I am, don't use honey, just making a point). Dude, go to a bike shop and buy some. There is nothing lying around in your house or garage that will do the job, unless the label says 'air filter oil' on it.

Remember, the air filter is the only thing keeping dirt and contaminants out of your engine. Buy air filter oil, or buy a new engine every season, your choice.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
dan rox 90

yes i know but im just running it for one day, then on monday my air filter oil will come. so can u sugjest something plz. and ive got a little bit of air filter oil but its only like 1 teaspoon.
so can i mix it with something
plz help!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 PM
dan rox 90

and im not going to be driveing it on dirt so yer
Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Foxy

If its only a few tanks on asphalt, don't use anything, you'll be OK.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't use any oil? Are you nuts?

If you are desperate, which it seems to be, find someone with a chainsaw. Chainsaw bar & chain oil is fantastic filter oil. It's the stickiest oil I've ever used next to 75,000wt diff oil.

Oh, and WD40 is NOT a suitable after run oil. You're better off using nothing at all. The WD in WD40 means Water Dispersant. It wil push moisture away, sometimes into places you don't want it. Use transmission oil (ATF) or Air tool oil but only after the engine has cooled and all of the fuel residue has evaporated.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

yes i know but im just running it for one day, then on monday my air filter oil will come. so can u sugjest something plz. and ive got a little bit of air filter oil but its only like 1 teaspoon.
plz help!!!!
Dude, they've recommended quite a few different things. Why do none of them seem to work for you? I'm fairly certain that here are auto parts stores in Australia.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

plz help!!!!
Dude, they've recommended quite a few different things. Why do none of them seem to work for you? I'm fairly certain that here are auto parts stores in Australia.
Moreover, most stock air filters aren't big enough to take a full teaspoon of oil anyway. They would be so wet with oil, the engine wouldnt run well anyway. 20-25 drops is usually more than enough even for my monster trucks with big air filters.

Edit: I commented on WD40 a few posts back. Thought I'd elaborate as to why you shouldn't use WD40 for ARO. MSDS for WD40: http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

The Aliphatic Hydrocarbon CAS #64742-47-8 in WD40 (about 50% of the final product) can cause fire or explosion when exposed to strong oxidants. Nitromethane is a strong oxidizer and could pose fire/explosion hazard if enough nitro came in contact with wd40. Nitromethane info page: http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/1222

There has been enough people that have used WD40 for ARO, but for the more experienced, its a no-no to use in an internal combustion engine. Use at your own risk..
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Foxy

For a couple of runs on asphalt, his engine won't suffer from having a dry filter until his oil arrives. It's not worth using a substitute oil if the real stuff is coming in a few days. My recommendation is not to run it til you get the oil, but if you do, I doubt it'll come to any harm running a dry filter, as long as you stick to asphalt and low dust environments.

As for the stuff on WD40... If it had a violent reaction with nitromethane, it would be well known. It's perfect for getting between a surface and moisture. Is it ideal? No. Will it do in a pinch? Yes.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Foxy

For a couple of runs on asphalt, his engine won't suffer from having a dry filter until his oil arrives. It's not worth using a substitute oil if the real stuff is coming in a few days. My recommendation is not to run it til you get the oil, but if you do, I doubt it'll come to any harm running a dry filter, as long as you stick to asphalt and low dust environments.

As for the stuff on WD40... If it had a violent reaction with nitromethane, it would be well known. It's perfect for getting between a surface and moisture. Is it ideal? No. Will it do in a pinch? Yes.
Well Mr. Fox... I'll have to agree to disagree.

I just need to quit giving any advice in the car forums... The kids know everything, and the adults know everything... The folks in between have to sift through what is bs and what isn't. I'm glad I have the experience I have; if I were new to the hobby I would be doomed to going electric in short order based on some of the opinions shared in these forums. Oh well, you can't win 'em all I guess.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Foxy

You seem to see everything in black and white. Engine with dry filter = crazy talk? wd40 = instant explosion? Wait, what?

Yeh, nah, I'll definitely agree to disagree with you on those. My position simply says you can get away with doing either of those in a pinch, I don't really see what's to argue about, I've done it myself without any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.