Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Gardening.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 AM
FuelCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gardening.

In an attempt to blend in I thought I would share a slow project with you all.
Got the idea to build a garden in the front yard, naturally a track plan was forming in my head, with some form of plants in useless spaces. So it was decided a short track would be built. The area is on a hill that drops off steeply after a large drainage ditch. The top half the track has been cut into the grass, while the bottom section has required both cutting and filling. It has made for a rather interesting surface, ranging from hard packed top soil,, to a sandy loam over clay, hard packed clay and a gravel topsoil mix, some cement was spread dry over one hill coming out of the drain. The drain has been used to make a couple of jumps and a rather fun berm. Construction has hit a temporary stand still due to “testing” the design.
The original design:
Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 AM
FuelCoupe

Default RE: Gardening.

Some pics of the track itself so far.
Not a good pic, but this is leading into the corner at the begining of the straight, down hill into a corner that the first half is solid clay the second half is a sandy loam over clay.

Looking back down the straight, the far corner is the corner the pic above leads into.
Crest of the jump leading up into the second top corner
Second top corner looking down to the berm in the drain, there is a small drop off mid way
My favourite corner, makes for great fun power sliding through this corner and trying to hit the jumps straight.
Top corner looking down over the small double jump leading out of the berm
Looking down the short straight (direction of travel is away from camera)

Looking up the hill over the drain into the top corner, there is 2 sections to the track here to give a bit of variety.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:08 AM
FuelCoupe

Still have to finish off the drainage, some has been done on the lower section, guard rails will be added in a few key spots, and a small platform to drive from, would like to add some more jumps but the layout doesn’t really suit it plus its proving to be rather difficult to be fast on due to the many surfaces and the hill. Maybe even a plant or two will get added.
 Its a slow project and I will add more pics as it progresses.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate you....[&:] J/K

Looks great dude.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 AM
FuelCoupe

Thanks , I hate me too,  being able to drive  out of the house and straight onto the track wasnt my best idea,  well it was as far as rc's go, but not getting much else done at the moment, even  been dragging a couple of fluro's out and light it up for night driving.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 AM
redfisher1974

Yeah you could mount some nice lights in the trees and light her up.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 AM
FuelCoupe

Thought about garden lights round the edge, but they really don't produce much light and will just be another thing to crash into, so will probably pick up some portable halogens to drag out for night driving. Now is this where I tell you once this is finished there is 1/4 acre of flat back yard for a high speed , big air track
Am I blending in or just making enemys now. lol.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 AM
redfisher1974

We're Cool...

I would be running a under ground service with water and hydro etc..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 AM
cumquat

you are making enemies. you are making me want to get up and go work on my track...[:@]

have fun and i hope you dont break many A-arms.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM
FuelCoupe

No a- arm, yet, just a front axle carrier after jumping into a tree. And yes I am having fun, not getting much done but having fun.

Hydro. good idea redfisher, a sprinkler system to wet the track down.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 AM
redfisher1974

I have a Back hoe, But Its a little far away for you....lol
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALRIGHT!!  Someone making their own track!  It IS almost too convienient to have your own.....

What have you been using to level-out the track surface?  The hard way? That is, with a flat-nose shovel and grunt?
My track, that was created basically by the cars themselves, has developed swails (sp) or rolling bumps.  I'm thinking of taking some fencing I have and folding it around a 6ft 2x6, then placing a half-dozen cinder blocks on top of that and drag it around the track with my lawn tractor.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
FuelCoupe

Shovel rake and hoe, the top sections is cut just below the grass and naturally compacted, the bottom sections have been rolled with a 20 litre drum full of gravel, jumps I drop the drum on a hand trolley to get more weight on less area, jumps are holding up quite well, the straight not so well, but you can only compact sandy loam so far, plus having corners that are half solid packed clay and half a loose surface makes for a challenge. And it is too convienient I dont kid when I say I drive out of the house and onto the track.

That should work well for smoothing out your track, probably keep the track rather good doing that once or twice a year.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
hairy46

Whens the first big race? Will you be holding nats there anytime soon? Looking good!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM
FuelCoupe

Thanks, no plans for races.....yet.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Lookin good for sure! No enemy made here, but you are driving in the realization that the ONLY down side to living in the city is the size of my yard, and I have a double lot!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dammmm, that is Awsome.

Top job, I'm so jellous
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 AM
FuelCoupe

Thanks for all the positive comments. Done a bit more today, went through 4 battery’s and got another person  hooked, sent him off with a couple of catalogues and a heap of hobby shops and websites to look at.

I also set the posts in concrete for the driving platform, it wont be anything fancy, basically the base of a packing crate that is wide enough for two set on four posts with two runners, it will have a simple metal hand rail at the front  and is about two feet from the ground. Is located at the top of the jump coming out of the straight (just behind camera in pic 2) giving a good view even where the track drops away behind the bank . Should get that finished on the weekend. Not really worth of a pic.

Also started  on some of the guard rails, around the trees I am going with plastic pipe, be a mixture of pvc pipe posts and poly pipe rails. Both sides of the straight will have a metal barrier made from some steel posts I scavenged a few years ago from work. Decided to jazz them up a bit and whacked a few brand logos  on them, excuse how sloppy they look but $2 masking tape gives a $2 job. The hpi one is  a great example.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 AM
FuelCoupe

Didn’t get much done over the weekend, did manage to get the driving platform done to a degree, still got to add a hand rail at the front and give it a paint. Done a little bit of the drainage on the bottom side and added a bit of the guard rail on the straight.  It has been attached to wooden posts driven about a foot into the ground, more will be added as soon as I add some logos to them Also added some guard rail down one side of a tree, this will need revision as I cleared the guard rail and smacked into the tree anyway. Also did a little work on a few jumps, building them up and angling them a bit better.

Dodgy guard  rail.

Driving Platform.

Guard rails.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice nice nice.  I like the driving platform.  The logo'ed guard rails are cool too.