Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Racing database software

So I have always wanted to race but just can not devote enough time to do so. From what I understand, you spend most time sitting around while only a only a small percentage of the time is spent actually racing. Do any tracks use a database system that provides notifications and time estimates and other tracking features for racing? I could probably design something for this purpose without much trouble but was not sure if something actually existed already. Is something like that already used? If not, do you think that there would be enough demand so that tracks would implement? It would probably be a free app or design. It might cost the track something for implementation however, I would not have anything to do with implementation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Racing database software

Our track has one....not sure what software they use, however. I imagine it feeds into LiveRC.com as well.
    Mugen MBX6R, HB D8T, Losi 8 2.0, Savage X 4.6, Losi 810, Hyper 7, Exceed Forza
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NitroRCNerds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Do any tracks use a database system that provides notifications and time estimates and other tracking features for racing?"

No. Heats and Mains are listed, but no time is given.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This program does it; http://jlaprm.com/JL_Home.aspx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe this system is the one that most tracks use. Like all the rest, it doesn't give starting time estimates. http://www.jlaprm.com/Jl_Features.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

"Do any tracks use a database system that provides notifications and time estimates and other tracking features for racing?"

No. Heats and Mains are listed, but no time is given.
    So if the question is if there is software that displays the "countdown" between one event (heat or main). I'm fairly certain the track we go to does. Perhaps I'm not understanding the question. There is nocalibration agent that uses actionable data to estimateonce the config data is set (i.e. it displays forecasted vs actual time), but even that would not be difficult to do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am thinking about features such as an automatic email when your race is coming up. It is pretty easy to code something that will automatically email individuals associated with an entry based on a specific condition (or just use a general workflow in SharePoint). For example, you would have a 20 minute drop down selection. Once that drop down is selected then everyone associated with that database entry (in this case one entry would be a specific race and every one associated would be the racers). That way you could leave if you wanted to and know when to come back for your next race (maybe this is not really necessary in practice. I have never raced so I do not know). Tons of other information could be collected and used as well. It seems like a very numbers based event. You could metric anything to get a good idea of averages to increase efficiency or predict trends.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: john2364

I am thinking about features such as an automatic email when your race is coming up. It is pretty easy to code something that will automatically email individuals associated with an entry based on a specific condition (or just use a general workflow in SharePoint). For example, you would have a 20 minute drop down selection. Once that drop down is selected then everyone associated with that database entry (in this case one entry would be a specific race and every one associated would be the racers). That way you could leave if you wanted to and know when to come back for your next race (maybe this is not really necessary in practice. I have never raced so I do not know). Tons of other information could be collected and used as well. It seems like a very numbers based event. You could metric anything to get a good idea of averages to increase efficiency or predict trends.
    Too many track variables are possible that could change starting times. Would people have to check EMail every 15 minutes, 30 minutes or etc? Give someone an excuse to miss their starting time and they'll take it and complain all the way to the refund counter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Too many track variables are possible that could change starting times.
    I think that is what would make this software unique. I might not know rc cars, but I know computer software top to bottom. The more data ("variables") the bettter. It's what you do with the data that sets software apart. He's got some creative ideas if they don't already exist.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Too many track variables are possible that could change starting times.
    I think that is what would make this software unique. I might not know rc cars, but I know computer software top to bottom. The more data ("variables") the bettter. It's what you do with the data that sets software apart. He's got some creative ideas if they don't already exist.

It's not the software that is the problem, it is the concept. Like an HMO Doctor who is given 15 minutes for each patient. Don't get scheduled at the end of the day, because we all know that the appointment times go to pot. And people will be expected to keep checking email how often? Large races can have 25 - 30 rounds. The people on the high end could have multiple setbacks.