Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glow plug burning out on power panel

Hi Guys

I have a starter box with a power panel and never really used my ignitor plugged to the power panel to glow my plugs, until the other day, I running my starter off a lipo battery and even if I put the settings to low it will still blow my plug.

Is this normal when using lipo, I'm thinking the lipo may just give too many volts which is blowing it or do I just have a faulty panel, either way how can I fix this?

Thanks guys in advance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Glow plug burning out on power panel

I would hook a voltmeter up to it and check it out. Not sure at what voltage they burn up, but they are supposed to get 1.5 volts.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have the glow plug leads plugged into the glow plug jacks and not the starter jacks? It's been done before and you send unreguated 12 volts to the glow plug.
    If it's connected properly and you have the dial set to low and it's still blowing plugs then your glow plug frequency circuit on the panel has failed.
    Putting a meter on the glow plug terminals of the power panel it will read 12volts regardless if the frequency circuit is working or not. It's not going to read 1.5 volts. It doesn't work that way. If you have a scope you can see what is happening. If you have electronic board repair experience you can repair the circuit. If not then you can use a glow stick or buy another power panel.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea its a proper glow plug with red and black leads/jacks connected to it so you can plug straight into a starter box panel.
    I don't have a voltage reader right now but I did try something in an unorthodox way to check how much voltage was coming out of the panel, I have a balance charger which can take external power in and requires between 11-18V to work so I used the the starter box panel plugged into the glow plug socket to send power to the balance charger and it came on!!

So now I'm thinking it is giving out too much voltage?!

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Do you have the glow plug leads plugged into the glow plug jacks and not the starter jacks? It's been done before and you send unreguated 12 volts to the glow plug.
    If it's connected properly and you have the dial set to low and it's still blowing plugs then your glow plug frequency circuit on the panel has failed.
    Putting a meter on the glow plug terminals of the power panel it will read 12volts regardless if the frequency circuit is working or not. It's not going to read 1.5 volts. It doesn't work that way. If you have a scope you can see what is happening. If you have electronic board repair experience you can repair the circuit. If not then you can use a glow stick or buy another power panel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like you have an OFNA power panel. Keep in mind that red and black glow plug leads are not meant to plug into the red and black plugs on the panel (this would be 12V). Glow plug leads go into the yellow plugs.http://www.rcboca.com/media/catalog/...f/ofn92571.jpg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No not my one... Check the link below its a Duratrax I have

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../dtxp5770.html

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Sounds like you have an OFNA power panel. Keep in mind that red and black glow plug leads are not meant to plug into the red and black plugs on the panel (this would be 12V). Glow plug leads go into the yellow plugs.http://www.rcboca.com/media/catalog/...f/ofn92571.jpg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are plugged into the left jacks with the pot turned to the left and are blowing plugs then the glow circuit has failed and your getting 12 volts direct to the plug.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just toke it off the panel to look underneath at the circuit board and I can see the Voltage Regulator, if I change this do you think it would fix my issue?
    I've been told I should buy the LM317TG voltage regulator or shall I buy the same on the board?

If you are plugged into the left jacks with the pot turned to the left and are blowing plugs then the glow circuit has failed and your getting 12 volts direct to the plug.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Should of mentioned this before my message above.

I did try something in an unorthodox way to check how much voltage was coming out of the panel, I have a balance charger which can take external power in and requires between 11-18V DC to work so I used the the starter box panel plugged into the glow plug socket to send power to the balance charger and it came on!!

So now I'm thinking it is giving out too much voltage?!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have the glow plug leads plugged into the glow plug jacks and not the starter jacks? It's been done before and you sendΒ* unreguated 12 volts to the glow plug.
    I was saying try a voltmeter at the end of the glow plug heater, not the terminals, just for clarification.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hear what your saying mate but its pretty irrelevant considering that when I plug the glow plug ignitor to the terminals the glow plugs were burning out meaning there was something wrong and would only mean in my eyes that it is getting too much voltage and by doing what I did with the balance charger just shows there is way over the top voltage coming through the glow plug terminals which has lead me to believe either its blown or I need to change the voltage regulator.
    I will be investing in a volt meter at some point but I think my theory at the moment is spot on

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nazUK

I hear what your saying mate but its pretty irrelevant considering that when I plug the glow plug ignitor to the terminals the glow plugs were burning out meaning there was something wrong and would only mean in my eyes that it is getting too much voltage and by doing what I did with the balance charger just shows there is way over the top voltage coming through the glow plug terminals which has lead me to believe either its blown or I need to change the voltage regulator.
    I will be investing in a volt meter at some point but I think my theory at the moment is spot on
    I realize that, and that comment was not aimed at you. I know you are past that point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool mate sorry about that thought you was referring to me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would be best to get a multi-meter first to check the voltage regulator and determine if it's faulty or something else before changing parts. If you don't have a meter to test but you have a regulator then you can give it a shot and swap it.....you might get lucky.
    Brian Ray