Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

rc4wd vs axial

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:59 AM
mugwart
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc4wd vs axial

i want to get a scale truck and i am having a delema on which one to get i totally like the trailfinder 2 for the realism and the fact that its a kit (for me to build) but i like the axial rubicon jeep kit as well i know both companies are very good with there products i want a kit cuz i wanna build it any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: rc4wd vs axial

Start with the Axial Honcho, as you first thought. Its a good kit, and most importantly, it will give you a taste of scaling in the most general way. If you don't like that taste very much, the Axial will sell on very easily and you've lost almost nothing. If you DO like the taste, again the Axial will sell on very easily and you can start speccing something much more custom from GMade or RC4wd or any other custom scaler firm. See what you think of the Gmade R1, too... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Rock-Buggy-Kit
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Start with the Axial Honcho, as you first thought. Its a good kit, and most importantly, it will give you a taste of scaling in the most general way. If you don't like that taste very much, the Axial will sell on very easily and you've lost almost nothing. If you DO like the taste, again the Axial will sell on very easily and you can start speccing something much more custom from GMade or RC4wd or any other custom scaler firm. See what you think of the Gmade R1, too... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Rock-Buggy-Kit
honcho is no longer a kit its RTR only
it would be the dingo that is the kit

the rc4wd one looks nice, but some of the stuff IMO is not really needed like that fake engine piece I see on the pic cause lets face it under the lid how real can it look with a huge honkin battery, ESC, receiver, and 2 servos(one for the tranny). but will admit it does look nice with nothing mounted
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM
mugwart

So I should go with the dingo kit and use the extra money to buy better servos since I already have a 3 channel radio
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM
pritch

Out of all of them I would probably go for the Jeep Rubicon simply because it looks great and the video of it on youtube crawling through the same trails as the real jeep is kinda cool.

But at £300 in the UK for the kit it is way too expensive.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: mugwart

So I should go with the dingo kit and use the extra money to buy better servos since I already have a 3 channel radio
you do know you will also need a esc, and motor right?

in my honcho I use the traxxas XL-5 esc, and a traxxas servo (wanted it waterproof) with either a tamiya 27t can or a hpi saturn 35t can't remember which motor it is as the sticker on it came off a long time ago
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM
mugwart

yes i do know about the esc I have an xl 5 as well as an old novak roaster  with a couple of 35t motors that are rebuildable I have done the research on what I will need to be able to run the trails after I build it I just want a scale rig that I built
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 AM
james04k

It is up to your budget but still i will suggest you axial, cause it is durable, affordable and support aftermarket.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't beat the value of the honcho compared to the dingo. It's only $100ish more and comes with a 2.4ghz radio set, axial servo, axial 27t motor, AE2 ESC and the led kit. This im not to sure if the dingo has but, the honcho allso has the spur gear cover, revised tail shafts, axial lockers and 4 link rear end. As well as that it comes with a ton of spare parts including extra light housings. Oh and even 2 trail markers lol

Personally I would recomend it over th e dingo just for value for money. And u allways have the option of dissembling it and pretending it's a kit
Old 06-02-2013, 03:27 AM
mugwart

thanks phmaximus pretend its a kit that is a good one and you are right for the money the honcho is the better deal with all the extra add ons again thanks
Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

The Dingo kit also has a shorter wheelbase than the Honcho or the Jeep. As posted above, the rtr's aren't much more than the kits, but the kits come with alloy lower and steering links and different (softer) tires and wheels. On the downside the Dingo has the same crappy shocks as the rtr's. The Jeep kit has alloy links (lower/steering) and sweet $80 Icon Shocks, but the Jeep kit is almost as much as a Honcho rtr. If you have electronics on hand and want to build a kit, go for it. To me half the reward of owning a scaler/crawlers is the fact that you built it yourself, which to me is part of the experience. Plus you don't have to worry if its built right. If you plan to modify or run aftermarket parts, you can install they when you build rather than tear an rtr apart to add your personal touch. Either way Axial makes a fine quality product and as Foxy mentioned above, they hold their resale value better than most vehicles in their class. You get a ton of money into a RC4WD rig and decide its not for you, you will not be able to get as much of your investment back.
Best of luck with whatever you choose, they are all great fun!
Happy Trails, Jay