Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Advice for beginner budget - 300 to buy a new RC

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Advice for beginner budget - 300 to buy a new RC

Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
archerwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for beginner budget - 300 to buy a new RC

I want to try a new outdoor hobby. I previously had static model cars and airplanes.
I was given (approved by the commanding general i.e. the wife) about $300 to start with the hobby.

this is my profile:
1. I have not built one from scratch, would like to have an RTR for starters.
2. Mostly on my backyard or nearby parks with dirt/sand/gravel, grass and roads
3. My intention is purely recreational (bonding with my growing son ), definitely no racing but there might be some light bashing.
4. My approved budget is around $300
5. I would like to have a decent 1/10 or great 1/16 if possible.
6. Electric only
7. I would like it to have parts available for replacement
8. RTR will be great for me
9. Electric start (ummm... ON/OFF switch? )
10. I can repair/work on the car if needed, I'm willing to learn all about the the hobby.

so that's it.. thanks in advance for your suggestions. ")

Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Advice for beginner budget - 300 to buy a new RC

traxxas stampede 2wd
traxxas slash 2wd
thunder tiger phoenix xt pro (brushless)
Redcat Caldera 10e (brushless)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM
robausti

I agree...I don't have any Redcat products but did have an Exceed Forza . Everyone has their opinion but also consider what your local hobby shop carries. Its no fun waiting for mail order parts.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, have you been to your local hobby shop? (Do you HAVE a local hobby shop?) What products (and spares) do they carry most? I'd wager it's Traxxas. And Traxxas might be a little pricey for your budget, which is pretty slim. Consider that you will also need a charger ($50) and a couple batteries ($40 EACH), and you'll need tools and lube, etc. And that price I quoted on the charger is for a Thunder AC680 at HobbyPartz.com. You aren't going to find a better charger at your hobby shop for twice the price.

On line, a Traxxas Rustler VXL (brushless) will run you $374. To compare, a Duratrax Evader Brushless model is only $229.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the duratrax evader brushless might be in your price range. I know its cheaper than the rustler vxl.

as mentioned, see you local hobby shop and what brands they carry.

If you dont have a hobby shop near by, then you will be ordering parts online no matter what brand. And basically all brands have parts avialible on ebay and online stores.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 AM
cumquat

i notice you're in AUS. you guys have some cheaper brands that we dont get here in the US. i cant think if any of the names though... there are a few other aussies here that might be able to help in regards to those. it's even harder to find stuff in your price range due to exchange rates and general pricing differences. it'll take me a little while to find stuff in your budget so i'll start looking now.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM
cumquat

ok, i found a few websites and the best seems to be http://www.modelflight.com.au/ . doing the search i have come to the conclusion, y'all get ripped off. you pay on average $50-100 USD more than we do for the same dang model.

anyway, i found 2 options that fit in your budget: [link=http://www.modelflight.com.au/cars/vaterra-kalahari-4wd-desert-truck-1-14-rtr.html] the vaterra kalahari[/link] and [link=http://www.kellettshobbies.com.au/CAGE-110-SCALE-GV-CAGE-X-4WD-WITH-24Ghz-RADIO?zenid=3a861d440538a38adb96cebda6f72bfa]the GV cage X[/link]. both come with battery and charger and are 4wd. you will want a better battery and charger pretty quickly but to start with they'll do. between the 2, i'd take the vaterra as they are a recent company started by horizon (who also owns losi) and it comes brushless.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

That Vaterra looks cool, but would you recommend a 4wd truck for someone just getting into the hobby?
I learned on 2wd, and would love a 4wd truck now. But I wonder if I would have been even more overwhelmed had I started with a 4wd?   If the OP is mechanically inclined, I guess it wouldn't be that big a difference......just more parts to loose.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 PM
archerwin

I'm selling some of my static model kits so the budget can be stretched to around $400. We have some local hobby shops which are mostly on the other side of melbourne.  I searched a bit more and I found hobbyking.com which sells RC'a as well. Are they good?

Starting at 4WD might be good as I will not have to fork out more money to buy a new 4WD in a few months time.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 PM
silverman1

Trust me it is way easier to drive a 4wd. You can go more places with it then 2wd. Need i say more? I speak form experience on this as I have owned both.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

I searched a bit more and I found hobbyking.com which sells RC'a as well. Are they good?
Hobbyking is a distributor in China. They carry both cheap and quality products, they have very competitive pricing, and they ship slower than molasses. Here in the US, it takes close to 3 weeks to get a Hobbyking order (unless you pay outrageous prices for expedited shipping).

As for vehicles, my go-to make is Associated, but I have no idea what the market for vehicles and parts from AE is in Australia. They're one of the oldest and strongest here with tremendous aftermarket support, but that won't help you if they're uncommon down under.

HSP/Exceed/Redcat seem to be very global. They are Chinese; the quality is mediocre to good, depending on model.

Thundertiger is Taiwan, they make most of the current Associated stuff, and are good vehicles.

Traxxas is a big name here, but are overpriced for what they are in my opinion.

No idea what HPI offers over there, but they are good products.

OFNA & Losi are good, but again, I don't know how the availability is over there.

Xray is based in Europe, they have quite a few electric models, seem to be high quality.

That's about all I got. I'm not really an electric guy, so recommending specific models is outside of my scope.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM
cumquat

actually, people have said they were glad to start with 4wd. it's easier to control and far more capable in rough terrain. i started with an evader ext because it was the cheapest thing the hobby shop had. while i feel i'm a better driver for learning to control a 2wd in snow i already knew i liked rc (i drove my uncle's for years before getting my own), so there was no chance of discouragement from constant spinning.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce

I searched a bit more and I found hobbyking.com which sells RC'a as well. Are they good?
Hobbyking is a distributor in China. They carry both cheap and quality products, they have very competitive pricing, and they ship slower than molasses. Here in the US, it takes close to 3 weeks to get a Hobbyking order (unless you pay outrageous prices for expedited shipping).

As for vehicles, my go-to make is Associated, but I have no idea what the market for vehicles and parts from AE is in Australia. They're one of the oldest and strongest here with tremendous aftermarket support, but that won't help you if they're uncommon down under.

HSP/Exceed/Redcat seem to be very global. They are Chinese; the quality is mediocre to good, depending on model.

Thundertiger is Taiwan, they make most of the current Associated stuff, and are good vehicles.

Traxxas is a big name here, but are overpriced for what they are in my opinion.

No idea what HPI offers over there, but they are good products.

OFNA & Losi are good, but again, I don't know how the availability is over there.

Xray is based in Europe, they have quite a few electric models, seem to be high quality.

That's about all I got. I'm not really an electric guy, so recommending specific models is outside of my scope.
Ofna is only a reseller so their stuff would be sold by Hong Nor, and HoBao(well ofna used to sell hobaos stuff) as those are the manufacturers, and outside the US they sell their own stuff under their own name.

As for HPI they probably got everything we got (minus a few models suck, or were old that were discontinued everywhere but the US)

Redcat, and Exceed are US only but HSP is everwhere sometimes sold under various names depending on the country (no idea the one they use in Australia)

Tamiya is big in Australia from what I hear

And HBX (I think that is the place) sells knock off RTR tamiya clones for a decent price from what I heard, and the quality is pretty close to tamiyas.

Hobbykings RC's I wouldn't touch as parts support seems to be a nightmare I've thought about trying a few of their things, but seen comments begging for them to get parts in. But for batteries, and other support equipment you would be hard pressed to beat their price, and quality. Shipping to Australia from what I read from some of the Aussies on the forums is pretty fast too.

phmaximus could probably help you out a little better on whats easy to obtain as hes from the same country
Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM
dirt101

If I had that budget for a new truck I would probably go with something like the team associated t4.1 brushless and a decent 2s lipo. I have used a lot of the zippy lipo batteries from hobbyking with great success. They have great power and show no signs of being an inexpensive battery.