Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

which would be cheaper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default which would be cheaper?

I like the bigger tires of the stampede 4x4....
but I want the wheel base of the slash 4x4.

New tires for the slash would run $50.
A new chassis and center shaft to make the pede have the slash's wheel base would run $25.
But then I would need a longer body as well (probly a maxx or savy body) which would be $45 or so.

But, with the pede I could sell the stock chassis/shaft and body. So I could recoup around $30.

But are there any other parts I woudl need besides the center chassis and center shaft to make the pede longer?

Also. slapping larger tires on the slash could mean either hacking up the body or buying a new one as well.

Which would you guys do if you wanted a 4wd MT with the wheelbase of the slash? Buy a slash and get new tires plus maybe a new body? Or buy the stampede...center chassis/shaft and a new body?
Also. the stampede will cost me $20 less than the slash.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: which would be cheaper?

Radio box, and the center plastic cover(that covers the center shaft) is different on the 2 also
Other then those you would be good to go the back piece, and front piece are interchangeable on the 2.

For the wheels might have to cut some of the side off the chassis as I don't remember the difference in size (I do got the slash chassis laying somewhere here, but would have to find it)

For your plan might be cheaper with the pede, and getting the slash chassis as the tires are the bigger cost IMO.

Cause if you go slash and get the pede parts you would need the pedes front, rear plate, tires(saw a set on ebay for $30 shipped), and a body which would run you $46 + the body.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just get new tires.  That way you still have a sc truck as well as a monster truck.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go the slash, the resale price for a new slash body is great, and even the BF tyres and wheels.

U could sell them as new taken from a RTR. That would cover either new wheels or a new body? Maybe both?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: littlemel

I would just get new tires. That way you still have a sc truck as well as a monster truck.
same would be true of the pede with slash chassis...it could run SC tires.

But ive had a slash 4x4 and dont really want a 4wd sc. I have a sc10 for sc fun.

What I want it a single battery...brushless monster truck that can be bashed hard. And other than the obvious plastic driveshafts, the slash/pede platform is pretty tough.
I just dont want the pede in stock form as the short wheelbase limits handling and leaves 2 tires up in the air half the time....thus canceling out the benifit of 4wd.

as far as the bumpers...I could care less whether it is the slash or pede setup. I just want slash wheelbase...with pede type tires.

I will admit that going the slash route would allow me to chose the tires. The pede tires are OK, but I would prefer large tires that are a bit softer and more compliant.

I guess going with the slash would allow me to sell tires/body.....which could almost pay for the tires I would want and a new MT style body. Where as with the pede the stock parts would pay for the new parts....but a body would come out of pocket.
But again, the pede is a bit cheaper. And I do like the linear springs and those shock protectors.

Ill keep dwelling on it. Once my thunder tiger phoenix XB sells I will have to make up my mind and pull the trigger on one or the other!

Syco...if you can find that slash chassis and verify the possible width issue. I would hate to buy a pede and get the slash chassis...only to find that the pede's front tires hit the chassis. I did not realize that the pede chassis is narrower. I dont know if traxxas did this just for the body to fit...or to keep the tires from hitting the chassis as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: littlemel

I would just get new tires. That way you still have a sc truck as well as a monster truck.
same would be true of the pede with slash chassis...it could run SC tires.

But ive had a slash 4x4 and dont really want a 4wd sc. I have a sc10 for sc fun.

What I want it a single battery...brushless monster truck that can be bashed hard. And other than the obvious plastic driveshafts, the slash/pede platform is pretty tough.
I just dont want the pede in stock form as the short wheelbase limits handling and leaves 2 tires up in the air half the time....thus canceling out the benifit of 4wd.

as far as the bumpers...I could care less whether it is the slash or pede setup. I just want slash wheelbase...with pede type tires.

I will admit that going the slash route would allow me to chose the tires. The pede tires are OK, but I would prefer large tires that are a bit softer and more compliant.

I guess going with the slash would allow me to sell tires/body.....which could almost pay for the tires I would want and a new MT style body. Where as with the pede the stock parts would pay for the new parts....but a body would come out of pocket.
But again, the pede is a bit cheaper. And I do like the linear springs and those shock protectors.

Ill keep dwelling on it. Once my thunder tiger phoenix XB sells I will have to make up my mind and pull the trigger on one or the other!

Syco...if you can find that slash chassis and verify the possible width issue. I would hate to buy a pede and get the slash chassis...only to find that the pede's front tires hit the chassis. I did not realize that the pede chassis is narrower. I dont know if traxxas did this just for the body to fit...or to keep the tires from hitting the chassis as well.
Throw a center diff in it. I did that to my pede,and I don't even need to run a wheelie bar as it stays planted
Old 06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well, after weighing the options I went with the slash 4x4.

I figured (after watching some videos) that the slash body can be raised enough to work with the stampede tires.

So I bought a slash 4x4 off tower hobbies ($365 with $50 savings and free shipping)
And I got a set of brand new pede 4x4 wheels off ebay for $35 shipped.
I also grabbed a traxxas/deans adapter for $10 since all my lipos have deans.
I dont know if I will sell the stock tires or not. I will sell the stock 7cell nimh and battery tho. Thatll get me back $10-$15.

Looking forward to having a 4wd waterproof fast rc. Been taking my sc10 2wd to the lake...but the grass there is mostly too tall. The SCT tires dont get enough traction and alot of the power gets wasted.

When I get more funds, I will likely get a emaxx/savvy sized truck body to replace the SCT body. And at some point I will need to upgrade the driveshafts.