Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Losi Ten SCTE rtr VS Associated RC8.2e rtr

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Losi Ten SCTE rtr VS Associated RC8.2e rtr

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 PM
BlueBorderRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Ten SCTE rtr VS Associated RC8.2e rtr

Being torn between these two models (the 1/10 scale sc truck and the 1/8 scale buggy) it's time to seek the advice of the community. Which one of these two specific models would you be more partial to owning and why?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73973.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1895308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25852.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1895309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33356.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1895310   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42639.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1895311  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Losi Ten SCTE rtr VS Associated RC8.2e rtr

1/8th buggies are superior in every way to 1/10th SCs. SCs are for being 'capable' and looking 'fantastic' while doing it. 1/8th buggies are a signle purpose design for racing, no realism, no scale, simply the fastest thing round a track that can be created within the racing rules. Inevitably, this means that they are also superior bashers. 1/8th buggies are faster due to larger electronics and larger diameter tires, more stable due to width and larger shock absorbers with more arm travel, less body and a wing, MUCH more durable due to better and all round beefier materials, altogether a more evolved platform, but then those are all the reasons why they cost more too. A 1/8th buggy isn't much good for SC racing, which is what the SCTE is designed for. As 4x4 SCs go, I'd rather have an OFNA Nexx10SC and a few hopups for the same price as the Losi, I just love that old platform, its simplicity and central weight are its strengths, they handle superbly (the car was also known as the Jammin SCRT10, a very successful racing truck a few years ago, only it is now called the Nexx and has the pillow ball suspension update, racing wheels and tires in the box, and a crappy body).

I used to have a Jammin SCRT10 which I miss, sold to a friend under much pressure. I also have an SC8e which I suppose is the best of both worlds, however, it is DAMN heavy with the rollcage, I frequently run without it. It's nice to have an SC with a 6S capable drivetrain, but my truggy makes everything else look silly, so....

Shrug? Truggy>Buggy>SC for bashing.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

buggy
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM
turok007

for looks SC but overall i would go for the buggy
Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Scottgir

Foxy is hitting the nail on the head except for one issue.

The SCTE is a converted lightweight 1/8th scale buggy. Losi had 2 versions of 1/8th scale buggies. Their 8ight and their 810. The 810 was a little smaller and lighter than the 8ight and other 1/8th scales and that platform is what was used to make the SCTE.

That's partially why the SCTE is heavier than the other 1/0th scale 4x4 short course trucks.

What are you going to use it for is the biggest issue.

The SCTE will cost you less overall. 550 can short course power systems, although less efficient, are cheaper than 1/8th scale systems. You can use 2S or push 3S with the SCTE where with the RC8 you're looking at 4S minimum, again costing more.

If you're bashing it...definitely the RC8. If you're going to race. Go see what the more popular class is.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:39 PM
john2364

I do not know if I agree with the durability comment but I could be wrong since I have only had one 1/8 scale buggy and it broke all them time when it crashed. It might have had weak parts (it was an ofna hyper 7). Heavier models have a lot more kinetic energy when they crash. Of course they have stronger parts to compensate for this but I generally experience more broken parts on 1/8 scale then smaller scales. I don't know if the stronger parts are enough to compensate for the additional energy exerted during a crash. Maybe the 1/8 scale buggy that I had was just a weak model though.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: john2364

I do not know if I agree with the durability comment but I could be wrong since I have only had one 1/8 scale buggy and it broke all them time when it crashed. It might have had weak parts (it was an ofna hyper 7). Heavier models have a lot more kinetic energy when they crash. Of course they have stronger parts to compensate for this but I generally experience more broken parts on 1/8 scale then smaller scales. I don't know if the stronger parts are enough to compensate for the additional energy exerted during a crash. Maybe the 1/8 scale buggy that I had was just a weak model though.
It is a pretty widely known fact that most 1/8 scales are tougher than most 1/10 scales, and the hyper 7 is also legendary for it's durability so that's really odd yours broke so much. What kind of driving did you do with it?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scottgir

Foxy is hitting the nail on the head except for one issue.

The SCTE is a converted lightweight 1/8th scale buggy. Losi had 2 versions of 1/8th scale buggies. Their 8ight and their 810. The 810 was a little smaller and lighter than the 8ight and other 1/8th scales and that platform is what was used to make the SCTE.

That's partially why the SCTE is heavier than the other 1/0th scale 4x4 short course trucks.

What are you going to use it for is the biggest issue.

The SCTE will cost you less overall. 550 can short course power systems, although less efficient, are cheaper than 1/8th scale systems. You can use 2S or push 3S with the SCTE where with the RC8 you're looking at 4S minimum, again costing more.

If you're bashing it...definitely the RC8. If you're going to race. Go see what the more popular class is.
The 810 is not a 1/8th scale buggy, hence the '10' in the name. It is too short to compete in 1/8th buggy racing, and uses several 1/10th pieces of hardware. You are right, but I hadn't overlooked it.

There is just no comparison between these two models. Just looking at the chassis you can see that everything is thinner on the SC.

As for John and his Hyper 7, can't explain that, my Hyper 7 never broke. SCs are lent some extra durability by the bumpers and big body, but as far as durability over time and wheel strikes, I doubt they are comparable. Or, let me put it another way, the Mugen 1/8th buggy to SC conversion...would result in a much tougher SC than the SCTE.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tho alittle off topic Tekno buggy and SC kit are just about the same car