Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

toughest nitro basher?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:56 PM
hardhittinz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toughest nitro basher?

hi i wanna get my son a new nitro rtr just curious what off road rtr nitro is durablest..thanks
Old 06-29-2013, 05:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: toughest nitro basher?

What scale, and price range are you looking for?

Ofna Nexx 8t From what I heard is damn good from a few people that own them http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUW&P=ML

If that is too much there is http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBCVP&P=ML
Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
hardhittinz

was thinkin 1/10th but i am liking that ultra LX2 though..
Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Hydro51

ORIGINAL: hardhittinz

was thinkin 1/10th but i am liking that ultra LX2 though..
I think the LX-2 would be a good choice, i have what sarted out as an LX-1, but have upgraded to mostly LX-2 parts now minus the 16MM shocks. I raced mine for a season a couple years ago and since i've rebuilt it, it holds up very well to abuse. If you decide to go with the LX-2, i would upgrade the front and rear pinion and bevel gears to the machined steel ones. You'll get more bang for your buck with hardened ones vs replacing the factory ones so often.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Ultra-44T-...ar_p_6780.html

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Ultra-Pinion-Gear_p_6625.html

Here's some pics of my Ultra LX-1/LX-2 build: http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Ul...?sort=2&page=1

Also a video of it idling out the rest of the fuel on the box: http://youtu.be/x0hnDddBhkc

The reason it died out 3 times is cause i was trying to stab the throttle instead of easing into it to clear out the top end and pipe. Nitro's tend to load up when at idle for more than a few seconds.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Hydro51

The 1/10th scale Traxxas Nitro Rustler would also be a good basher: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXDMTNBS&P=0

I owned one of these before i went to 1/8th scale and IMO, it was tough as nails.  LOL!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend this.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...8-Engine-Black

I don't own an LX, but have heard it's a bad-*****, If durability if what you are after, you'll be happy with either, I'm sure
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I'd recommend this.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...8-Engine-Black

I don't own an LX, but have heard it's a bad-*****, If durability if what you are after, you'll be happy with either, I'm sure
+1 this
didn't know that they had it under the hoboa name already(tower says discontinued, but maybe they just aren't carrying it anymore) or would have had it in my post with the LX2
Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me..... I'm the toughest nitro basher, can't stand em, electric or gas all the way
Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

trusty rusty
Ive had a few used nitro rustlers...both the .15 and 2.5 motors. Always seem to run well and take abuse. Parts are easy to get. Used ones can be found for as low as $100. Once got a used rustler .15 in AS IS shape for $50. Motor was seized when I got it. Took apart, soaked in PB blast, added my own radio and was running great the very next day! Why did I sell that truck again???
Old 06-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Hydro51

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

trusty rusty
Ive had a few used nitro rustlers...both the .15 and 2.5 motors. Always seem to run well and take abuse. Parts are easy to get. Used ones can be found for as low as $100. Once got a used rustler .15 in AS IS shape for $50. Motor was seized when I got it. Took apart, soaked in PB blast, added my own radio and was running great the very next day! Why did I sell that truck again???
When my 2.5 finally let go in my old rustler, i upgraded to the 3.3 with a mid to top end pipe and a hardened steel spur gear and clutch bell. That thing would flat get after it! Lol, i had to let out of it through the mid range to bring the fornt end back down or it would literally flip over backwards. Lol!!! I parted it out after getting run over and went to 1/8th scale and couldn't be happier with my LX-1/LX-2 build. I don't run on the nieghborhood streets anymore either, lol!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

None of the 1/10 vehicles are particularly tough in my experience. If you want durable, the 1/8 monster trucks are pretty hard to beat. Losi XXL or Aftershock, Associated MGT 8.0, even the Traxxas Revo (they call it 1//10, but it's more 1/8).

I have a Losi Mega Baja (same as aftershock), and it's takes work to hurt that thing. Ran it head-on at near full speed into a steel fence post that was sticking out of a culvert almost parallel with the ground, only bent a shock rod (which I was able to straighten)
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 AM
adam911

ORIGINAL: hardhittinz

hi i wanna get my son a new nitro rtr just curious what off road rtr nitro is durablest..thanks
I got this 2 month ago. This whole car has been built with quality in mind. Aluminium chassis, aluminium alloy parts like spur gear, aluminium suspension, I think this will be nice choice you your son

Old 07-01-2013, 03:29 AM
Foxy

LX2 is a good choice, but there are even stronger if you want to spend the cash.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a Nitro Buggy or truggy are the most durable of the land RC"s.........Buggy's are slightly more durable, but much less offroad capable and far less versatile ..........Monster trucks are not overly durable..they are usually impact tough in some areas, but mechanically unsound and typically require a pile of repairs and hoppups......not worth the headaches unless you love tinkering more then driving, which of course some people do..........Myself I am much more into using my RC's then I am fixxing my RC's so I run a Truggy most of the time...... it is durable, extremely capable offroad, easy to work on, fast as hell and amazingly versatile.......It can out bash a MT and out race a Buggy..............
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2
As nice as the LX2 is there are better if you want to step up.

ORIGINAL: Foxy

LX2 is a good choice, but there are even stronger if you want to spend the cash.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

I got this 2 month ago. This whole car has been built with quality in mind. Aluminium chassis, aluminium alloy parts like spur gear, aluminium suspension, I think this will be nice choice you your son
The 3K Kr comes out to about $450 USD, which would make this one of the King Motor/Rovan or Redcat type buggies, which have rather spotty quality according to reviews; Almost universally hear "should have saved up and got the HPI". Mind you, I have no personal experience with these, nor do I specifically recognize the buggy you linked. Just saying that quality seems to lack in the ~$500 1/5 scales on this side of the pond.